Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/03/2006, 10:50 PM
Registered Member

hey theres my old 50! lol

looking good man i can get over how big it is, when im older and have a home of my own i plan on getting a setup like this.. but for now the 75 is as big and im going
Old 11/04/2006, 09:48 PM
Premium Member

Looks sooooooo sweet.
Got kids? I would make it clear that if they (or friends) play pool without covering the tank they may not leave the house alive. All it takes is one nuckelhead and you could have 10k laying on your floor.
Old 11/04/2006, 11:28 PM
Registered Member

Not too crazy about the foam on the wall. Looks like pooh. Other then that very nice.
Old 11/05/2006, 10:13 AM
Premium Member

This is looking like the start of a wonderful system. I'm a big fan of strong steel stands and with the attached lighting truss you have taken it to another level! Great planning and execution.
John
Old 11/05/2006, 01:34 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by flatwormdie
Not too crazy about the foam on the wall. Looks like pooh. Other then that very nice.
it looks good once covered and in water.. it will take a little while but it will look good
Old 11/05/2006, 10:57 PM
Moved out

Oh I am soooo going to steal your design for the steel stand!! I am planning a 400 gallon tank of my own and was thinking of going steel. I really like the idea of how you have the canopy incorporated. Of course I will give credit where credit is due

Great start. The foam stuff looks interesting..

Chris
Old 11/06/2006, 08:04 AM
Patient Reefer

flatwormdie...I agree, looks like dog poo...once the coralline starts to grow on it and I start some star polyps in it, it will look lots better.
FishyBiz...No kids...and I have the pool balls locked away.
rsxs1212...In a few months you will see your 50 with my first fish in quarantine.
cwegescheide and Tampa Aquarium Service...I copied the stand form Scott (sidewinder770) whose welder had built one for someone else. I have found all my good ideas while looking at another reefer's system, either online or in person. No reason to reinvent the wheel.
Mike
Old 11/06/2006, 08:51 AM
Registered Member

WOW. Nice Frame!
Old 11/06/2006, 10:51 AM
On hobby time out!

Just a couple of suggestions:

-Make some sort of electrical outlet panel to put further forward than the wall behind the tank. I presume you are placing a sump under the tank and that will prevent you from having access to the outlets easily.
-If you are using the little pipes with holes in it as the intake screen to some pump bigger than a MJ1200, you are going to have issues with it. Extremely restrictive and will get clogged very easily. It is not in the easiest of places to get to, so I would suggest you get one fo the bigger screens from AES. They are non-restrictive to flow and easy for maintenance.
-I presume the 2 pipes going through the wall are or a chiller in and out line. Cover the section that is viewable with some sort of insulation. As the sun beats down on them it will make your chiller run so much longer and often.
-I hope you come up with some form of mechanism to easily raise and lower the lights inside that canopy. It will be very akward to work on anything there.
Old 11/06/2006, 11:11 AM
Patient Reefer

dgasmd...The tank is 15 inches from the wall. I can walk behind it, and I can reach the outlets from the side without going behind the tank. The little pipes are longer than they look, and now have more holes. I did the math and originally drilled enough holes to have just more surface area than the 2 inch pipe bulkhead. After further thought, I doubled the number of holes, and increased their size to compensate for restrictions. The 2 pipes going through the wall come from the garage. One is for RO/DI water for topoff and one is for salt water for water changes. In the garage are two 65 gallon barrels, one for RO/DI and one for mixing salt. The lights will be on chains with a roller system to raise them up and to the rear, and the whole front of the hood will raise up with the help of a linear actuator. (thanks sidewinder 770). Thanks for studying my system so closely. I want all the input I can get. I would rather make mistakes on paper instead of in production.
Mike
ps...I studied your gallery. WOW!!! That's an incredible system you have. I would love to see that in person. What part of the world are you in?
Old 11/06/2006, 01:01 PM
Architecture Fanatic

Location: "Does it seem like were walking uphill" "a rubix cube"
I honestly cant wait to follow this thread.

It certainly appears to be a well documented process...thus far
Old 11/06/2006, 04:29 PM
Registered Member

More pics! More pics! More pics! Seriously, beautiful tank!

HDAlien
Old 11/08/2006, 07:34 PM
Patient Reefer

HDAlien...any experience with GARF???
Mike
Old 11/08/2006, 08:16 PM
Keeper of Tangs

yeah keep working so we can see this thing!
Old 11/09/2006, 09:24 PM
Patient Reefer

I've collected some more parts and pieces, so here are some fresh pics.
Three durso standpipes, 1.5 inch, and schedule 80 bulkheads.

Return plumbing from the sump to the center eurobraced section. Each of the four ends will have 3/4 inch loc-line.

Here it is installed without loc-line.

Here is my next job. The OM 4-way will feed eight 3/4 loc-line. Here is how it lays out, except for the pipe, which I'll cut and glue this weekend. The OM 4-ways will mount on top of 1.5 inch pipes above the end overflow boxes.

Here is one of the end boxes before installing the OM.

I do believe that's all for now.
Mike
Old 11/10/2006, 08:11 AM
Registered Member

mflamb, can't wait to see this finished and in person! That tank is going to amazing! I'll see ya tomorrow at the Club BBQ!
Old 11/11/2006, 07:18 PM
Registered Member

Mike, great to finally meet ya! Man Brian's Garage and 240 were SICK! Let me know when you need a hand or some manual labor for your 390! Just shoot me an email anytime you need some help, or call mah cell. I'll PM you the number Forgot to give it to ya at the meeting.. was too busy ooo'ing and aahh'ing over Brian's setup.
Old 11/11/2006, 07:37 PM
Patient Reefer

I could spend days in his garage!!! WOW
Old 11/12/2006, 07:16 AM
Keeper of the Hair Algae

Nice plumbing work!
Old 11/12/2006, 11:44 AM
Registered Member

met ya at the meeting the other day, man what a tank I can't wait till you show it off, whens the party?
Old 11/12/2006, 07:15 PM
Patient Reefer

This may be the slowest build in recent history...party in late Spring/early Summer. I installed the dursos and worked on one of the OM4ways today. I should finish that part of the plumbing this week. We're hosting a bunch of teenagers from our church this coming weekend, so I have to get over 300 lbs of GARF style DIY rock out of the swimming pool...life goes on!!!
Mike
Old 11/12/2006, 07:28 PM
Registered Member

that an expensive work bench you have there,looking good.
Old 11/12/2006, 09:52 PM
Registered Member

Hey Mike, just found your thread. Great looking tank. What are the dimensions of the display tank? (sorry if I missed that in your posts) What are your plans for aquascaping?

I like your idea for the return manifolds. Ever thought of using a couple sea-swirls or wavy-seas for the center return manifold instead of the static loc-line? I realize that you will have the OM's on the two end manifolds, but couldn't hurt to maximize random turbulence/currents. Dunno, just a thought. I would, especially if you're planning to keep sps.

Just one other quick thought; I know someone else already commented on this and you said that the pool balls are locked away and no kids, but as far as the pool table being so close to the tank, man that would scare the heck out of me. Dunno about you, but I see balls fly off of pool tables even with adults/good players. Maybe you could build a shield of some sort made out of plywood on a base with wheels that you could roll in front of the tank when playing pool?

Great job though! Keep the pictures of the progress comin'!
Old 11/12/2006, 10:05 PM
Registered Member

or you could extend on gishos idea about the rolling plywood and make a diamond plate sheet that drops down rom the ceiling or wood or anything so its not sitting there.. .. .. make an automatic motor and everything, press a button and you have protection ... i have to agree though, id try to protect it a little more
Old 11/12/2006, 10:17 PM
Registered Member

Yeah, that would be even sweeter/cleaner looking...great idea! But regardless, I would do SOMETHING to protect that tank from flying pool balls!