Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks

Old 11/24/2006, 09:16 PM
Moved On

just thought I would throw that out there back to the stingray reef
Old 11/24/2006, 11:35 PM
On hobby time out!

Not all things are made equal my friend. Softies and LPS for the most part don't seem to be affected by it either. I have personally been using phosban for over 4 years without a single incident. Can't explain that one either!!
Old 11/25/2006, 12:18 AM
Moved On

dgasmd do you have a thread somewhere for your tank?
Old 11/25/2006, 01:46 AM
Registered Member

Well I might be wrong on the coral burning from water clarification. I believe that might be a RC thing. On the other hand it seems that the rapid removal of the PO4 could be detrimental to the corals. Yes they may normally live at near zero levels but in our systems they become accustomed to much higher levels. Any rapid swings good to bad or Vice versa will be detrimental and this is what I was referring to.

For clarification I did lose a bunch of Mexican Turbo snails which are notorius for dying any way. It was a risk I took when I purchased them. I can guarantee the largest problem with my tank at this time is UNDER skimming and not overskimming. I know that many issues could have been avoided had I a larger skimmer. Spazz is currently working to correct that. Big Uglies bigger brother will be coming to stay soon.

Dgasmd- Thanks for clarifying the PO4 theories. Like I said they were just my opinions and not concrete science(Hell I dig in the dirt and demolish things for a living).
BTW I run two refugiums totaling about 150 gallons with chaeto and sponges. I feed the tank heavily (decent fish bioload)and that is where part of the problem from underskimming plays a role.
Old 11/25/2006, 01:54 AM
Moved On

cant wait to see the new skimmer, is spazz a builder for these larger projects?
Old 11/25/2006, 10:36 AM

I have heard that about the Mexican Turbos but my experience has been different. I put 50 in my tank at start up and have only lost about 5 after about 8 months. I wouldn't put them in again based on what I have learned about them since, but so far they just seem to get bigger and bigger. Most of mine are now larger than golf balls.
Old 11/25/2006, 11:08 AM
On hobby time out!

Quote:
Originally posted by jnarowe
I wouldn't put them in again based on what I have learned about them since, but so far they just seem to get bigger and bigger.
Care to expand on this??
Old 11/25/2006, 11:39 AM

Not sure what you mean, but I have learned that they would not fall into the "Desirable" for captivity catagory. They also poo like crazy. When people visit my tank and realize that the moving rocks are actually giant snails covered in coraline, I get some strange looks. I am currently breeding (on purpose) multiple desirable snails that are better suited for captive reefs so I do pay attention to this issue with keen interest. My system currently holds about 500 mature snails and zillions of babies.
Old 11/26/2006, 12:15 AM
Moved On

thats odd mine has been in my tank for about 2 years and is an algae machine, he came in a batch of astrea I bought a long time ago and all the astrea are dead but hes alive and strong

do you think this could have something to do with having multiple in a tank?
Old 11/26/2006, 12:29 AM
Registered Member

They don't fare well from shipping and they are moving bulldozers. Mine knocked everything over in their path. They and the sea hares are algae eating machines. I'll probably be picking up 10 or so more sea hares. They are cool and actually move around the corals instead of pushing the corals out of the way.

Hey 120- Spazz does work on larger projects. In fact I know of some MEGA projects that he is familiar with but enough about that. His designs are well suited for larger skimmers etc. They are so incredibly efficient it's crazy. I'm just lucky he's in my backyard and likes to use my tank for his new designs. He built a prototype "Tunze" like pump that pushed about 10,000-12,000 gallons per hour on 28 watts. It's still experimental and not ready for anything more than fun in my tank. IF it comes to fruition it would blow the socks off all the high flow pumps. In fact it was almost to powerful for my tank. Spazz is a genius in the disguise of a truck driver.
Old 11/26/2006, 12:46 AM
Moved On

wow thats awsome, might have to use his services if I ever do a big tank build Thats a crazy powerhead! Ive been following his thread for bills reefzilla
Old 11/26/2006, 06:13 PM
One Millionth Poster

Energy, I found the same thing for sea hares, they are easy on the corals. Ten seems like a real lot though. I have 1 in a 450. It's holding it's weight but I don't think I'd go over 2 in my tank.
Old 11/26/2006, 07:14 PM
Registered Member

Kent- your probably right - I don't have much hair algae so maybe four or so.
Old 11/27/2006, 01:10 AM

I really want to "second" that. One in my 1000g display has no problem keeping it stripped of macro and HA. And with all the tangs and other herbivores you have, even 4 might be too many. I had two and one died right away, and my concern for you putting in more than one is whether you can keep track of them in case one dies.
Old 11/27/2006, 03:06 PM
Premium Member

I agree with the PO4 removers continuously releasing "fines" over time. I have my PO4 reactor output pour into a 100 micron filter sock stuffed full of filter floss. This, in turn, sits inside another 100 micron filter sock. On occasion, I have to run everything through the washer because the fines that are released penetrate all the way to the outer sock and everything turns red. I'm guessing a lot of fines also make it back into the sump.

I beleive the whole sea hare dying and killing off a tank is a myth. Same thing with cukes. I added a sea hare last week and after only a day it somehow got sucked into my CL pump and spit out in little pieces of gooey flesh. My skimmer went crazy but no ill effects to the tank. It was a 2-3" fat and plump sea hare and I'm still trying to figure out how it got through my CL strainer.

Back to the GFO thingy... I too have witnessed the burning effect after adding a new batch. No idea what causes it but I don't think it is cleaning the water of PO4 too quickly. I'm guessing it has more to do with the fines being released or something else leeching out from the media.
Old 11/27/2006, 10:12 PM

man, the sea hare that died in my system stank so bad it would make a mere mortal vomit out his guts!
Old 11/28/2006, 12:34 AM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by onehundred20
thats odd mine has been in my tank for about 2 years and is an algae machine, he came in a batch of astrea I bought a long time ago and all the astrea are dead but hes alive and strong

do you think this could have something to do with having multiple in a tank?
not to get back on the subject, but I just remember this same turbo had an infestation of pyramid snails at one point also and hes still kicking lol, im not sure what got rid of the pyramid snails but hes still kicking and about the only snail i have left.
Old 12/08/2006, 04:38 PM
Registered Member

I started to use the Phos r product from Warner Marine. It seems to be a little less expensive initially but in my reactor it creates just as many fine particles as Rowaphos. I turned the reactor way back to try and keep the media calm but I still ended up running over 200 gallons through it just to mitigate any fines prior to introduction in to the aquarium. The product reads DO NOT RINSE but I believe this to be inaccurate. The only thing I could think of that would create the lenghty storm in the chamber is if the media(pellets) where geting pulverized from the reactor. I did not rinse this batch but the next one will get rinsed with RO/DI water prior to starting up the reactor.
Old 02/17/2007, 06:28 PM
no time for spell check!

i know energy plans to update here real soon so stay tuned.
Old 02/17/2007, 06:35 PM
Registered Member

Here's an update This is the remodeled fish tank room. This is an image of a Volcano brand skimmer. This thing rocks to say the least. This skimmer holds over 100 gallons[ and runs off a mere 190 watts. The foam it produces is incredible.
IMG][/IMG]
Here's a shot of the skimmate.
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 02/17/2007, 06:39 PM
Registered Member

Here's a shot of the tank center.[IMG][/IMG]
Here's another shot for ya!
[IMG][/IMG]

One more shot for all of you reef junkies.
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 02/17/2007, 06:42 PM
Registered Member

SWEEEEET skimmer.

Now that's what you call a riser tube.

I can hardly wait for mine.

Looks like you dont have to worry about your skimmate overflowing on the floor...as long as the sink drain doesn't get clogged.

I like the monti with the stag growing out of it.

Last edited by reefwonders; 02/17/2007 at 06:47 PM.
Old 02/17/2007, 07:00 PM
Registered Member

love the skimmer that thing is insane
Old 02/17/2007, 07:02 PM
Premium Member

Looking great Energy. That skimmer looks awesome. I got to see one of the "mini" volcano skimmers last weekend. It was 18" diameter and 72" tall. What are the dimensions of your skimmer?
Old 02/17/2007, 07:09 PM
no time for spell check!

Quote:
Originally posted by Travis
Looking great Energy. That skimmer looks awesome. I got to see one of the "mini" volcano skimmers last weekend. It was 18" diameter and 72" tall. What are the dimensions of your skimmer?
hi travis it was good talking to you last weekend. sorry i didnt have more time to talk. was busy with the plumbing thing. lol

energys skimmer is 66" tall 24" diam, with an 18" diam cup and a 10" diam riser tube. its run by a dart needle wheel and an a alita 80 pump for now. there is plans to up grade that pump to a volcano pump, real soon soon.