Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/02/2006, 11:46 AM
Registered Member

Acrylic versus Glass

I have read endlessly about the pros and cons of each. I would like real owners to give me real feedback ! As I have not yet laid my money down, I have the luxury of flip flopping, which I have been doing incessantly in my mind. My only reservation with acrylic is the scratching at this point.
Old 03/02/2006, 12:27 PM
Skeet, Skeet, Skeet

The only acrylic " tank" I have owned was my sump. From that experience, I learned that the acrylic scratches much too easily for me to choose it for my main tank.

Glass tanks for me. Low iron if you want to get close to the acrylic clarity.

I didn't mean to take up all your sweet time
Give it right back to you....One of these days
Old 03/02/2006, 01:00 PM
Registered Member

i like glass for cleaning. but my wife wont let me have another glass cause every glass tank i have owned has broke.. so acyrlic for me.. just have to learn to be careful
Old 03/02/2006, 02:34 PM
Registered Member

Good stuff. Please continue to send the anecdotes. I am leaning towards acrylic. It can't be all bad as Oregon Reef is not only acrylic but stunning to boot.
Old 03/02/2006, 02:55 PM
Registered Member

300 Acrylic is being switched out with a 375 Glass cause I couldn't stand the scratches and buffing them out was getting old.

Joe
Old 03/02/2006, 04:35 PM
Skeet, Skeet, Skeet

It will depend a lot on your attitude and situation. Me personally, I do not want to worry about the tank a whole lot and tend to let my coraline grow a while before I get the razor blade out and clean the whole tank.

With an acrylic tank, I think you really need to be more regular and mythodical about the maint. As I understand it, you do not want to let the acrylic tank get too far ahead of your cleaning schedule.

Old 03/02/2006, 04:39 PM
Registered Member

I've had both. I will only get glass tanks from now on. The new one is going to be Starfire.
Old 03/02/2006, 05:16 PM
Premium Member

I have had both acrylic and glass, and I prefer glass. Like most anything, you can get excelent quality for the price and get a glass tank with low iron from a reputible builder and not worry about it cracking. But, you can also say the same about acrylic tanks. I had my acrylic tank bust on the top center brace, very scary. So, I went to a glass tank for that reason (Euro-Brace), and less chance of scratches. Just my 2cents..
Old 03/02/2006, 06:59 PM
Registered Member

i have a 250 gal acrylic.i have had glass before and will not go back.acrylic does scratch easy but the clarity is really good.there are diffrent grades of acrylic some scratch more than others.i don't need 6 guys to move the tank 2 people thats it.my tank has not seen anybowing at all but mh use directly over the cross braces can warp because of the heat.
Old 03/02/2006, 10:54 PM
Registered Member

Whats a good estimate on the cost difference between say, a custom 180 gal acrylic (~$1500ish - 3/4" all sides) and a 180 glass with 3 sides being Starfire and equal thickness?
Old 03/02/2006, 11:15 PM
Registered Member

you could use 1/2" acrylic on that and be fine. Just get a GOOD cell cast acrylic like Acrylite GP and all will be good. I made a 150 for a LFS (SPS Display) out of 3/8" GP and everything is great.
Old 03/03/2006, 11:37 AM
Registered Member

The tank I am considering is 84 x 36 x 30. I want to go with Eurobracing to avoid the lighting issues with acrylic. Most everyone suggests 1 inch acrylic with 1 1/2 inch eurobracing. For the eurobrace the manufacturer suggested a 2 x 3/4 inch sandwich.
Old 03/03/2006, 11:38 AM
Registered Member

thickness

Quote:
Originally posted by paulpp187
i have a 250 gal acrylic.i have had glass before and will not go back.acrylic does scratch easy but the clarity is really good.there are diffrent grades of acrylic some scratch more than others.i don't need 6 guys to move the tank 2 people thats it.my tank has not seen anybowing at all but mh use directly over the cross braces can warp because of the heat.

what are the dims of your tank and what thickness is the acrylic ?
Old 03/03/2006, 04:01 PM
Registered Member

I only have glass right now. No acrylic.
Old 03/03/2006, 04:05 PM
yes it's my aquarium

Acrylic is great for freshwater- not reef aquaria.
Snails, urchins and chitons can easily gouge acrylic.
No local maintenance company will service an acrylic reef aquarium around here.
Do a search for many many many more opinions and try not to hear only what you want to hear.
Old 03/03/2006, 05:24 PM
Registered Member

He can hear what ever he wants....it's his money he is spending.
Old 03/03/2006, 05:46 PM
yes it's my aquarium

So why bother asking for others' opinions here if you only want to hear one side of the story?
Do you sell acrylic aquariums, bigfalcon36? I don't. I don't sell glass ones, either.
I have had the displeasure of dealing with scratched acrylic reef aquariums.
Coralline algae loves acrylic. It will be your worst enemy- aside from a sandy substrate.
Of course, there's always micro mesh and lots of elbow grease.....
Old 03/03/2006, 05:51 PM
Registered Member

The arguement goes either way...we just need to be fair to the person looking for the views from both sides of the street. I think if he had his mind made up, he wouldn't of asked...just my thoughts.
Old 03/03/2006, 07:54 PM
Registered Member

all that maintence companies around here only go with acyrlic.. personal preference is all
Old 03/03/2006, 07:58 PM
yes it's my aquarium

Quote:
Originally posted by Black71gp
all that maintence companies around here only go with acyrlic.. personal preference is all
I don't buy that for a second.
Customer preference might be acrylic, but there's no way somebody that takes care of reef aquariums for a living prefers acrylic over glass.
Old 03/03/2006, 08:28 PM
Skeet, Skeet, Skeet

Quote:
Originally posted by Gary Majchrzak
Customer preference might be acrylic, but there's no way somebody that takes care of reef aquariums for a living prefers acrylic over glass.
I have to agree with Gary on that.

Maybe if they just move them around, they would prefer them. They may like them for the sales$ too, but not the maint.

Old 03/03/2006, 09:30 PM
Registered Member

tank is 96x24x25 1/2 cell cast acrylic with some beefed up bracing on top there are only 3 openings on top maybe 15x15 inch holes
Old 03/03/2006, 10:43 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Gary Majchrzak
I agree with Gary as well. My two year old Acrylic tank is a pain to take care of I wish I had gone glass. At first it looks great but after a couple of years no matter how hard you try it will get scratched. Scraping with the plastic scraper is hard work.
Old 03/03/2006, 10:54 PM
Registered Member

h
Old 03/03/2006, 11:10 PM
Registered Member

My 600gal (96x48x30) from Will at AO is build from 3/4" Diamante Low Iron Glass, I will only own glass for my displays...