Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Invert and Plant Forums > Tridacnid Clams and other Mollusks

Old 03/29/2005, 12:24 PM
Got Salt!

Sorry menace, I hated to read that!
Old 03/30/2005, 05:41 PM
Registered Member

Yeah, I hated typing that.

Just thought I'd share this info I read. I was talking with Barry today, and he pointed me to this thread.

http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/...ead.php?t=7262
Old 03/30/2005, 06:26 PM
Got Salt!

Thanks for the link, I just finished reading it and it explains why I constantly have to redip all my clams over and over and over....Hopefully the lab can give us a recomendation on the best possible medication soon...
Old 03/30/2005, 07:03 PM
Registered Member

I just redipped my clams yesterday and they do still show signs of pinching. If the other thread finds out a solution for this PM can someone link us again? I will be checking every so often as well.
Old 03/30/2005, 11:46 PM
Registered Member

I was wondering how you guys transfer the clam into FW from SW without exposing the clam to air or getting SW into the FW.
Old 03/31/2005, 12:07 AM
Registered Member

Also could you guys clarify for me if it is safe for any clam to get a FWD or are there some that it should be avoided with. I have one 4" Deresa, one 3" Crocea, one 1.5-2" B. Maxima, and one 6" TD. Maxima. Only the Maximas are not fully expanding there mantels but all clams are right next to each other so I wanted to treat all of them. Can I treat all 4 in the same container or should I do them one at a time.

Thanks.
Old 03/31/2005, 12:09 AM
Got Salt!

That is a problem, and unfortunatly every time I dip one it gets exposed...but for just a second if that , i try to be quick as possible...
Old 03/31/2005, 10:34 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
without exposing the clam to air
That will not harm the clam for a short period of time. The farms take the clams out of the raceways to scrub and clean the clam shell's all the time.
Old 03/31/2005, 04:22 PM
Registered Member

Also could you guys clarify for me if it is safe for any clam to get a FWD or are there some that it should be avoided with?
Old 03/31/2005, 05:25 PM
Got Salt!

So far I have only diped maximas and croceas since thats the only species that I have....
Old 04/06/2005, 08:58 AM
Registered Member

What does everyone think about dipping them in fresh water with iodine.
Old 04/06/2005, 09:33 AM
Registered Member

> What does everyone think about dipping them in fresh water with iodine.

Have a read on the link that I posted at the top of page 3 to the reeffrontiers forum. There is talks about iodine in that post.
Old 04/08/2005, 08:24 AM
Registered Member

I have been following this forum since I found it. My Deresa was/is showing signs of pinched mantle. It has had it for a little while (first clam, didn't know anything was wring). So, after reading this thread, I decided to FWD my clam last night.

After the dip and placing back into the tank, I noticed the mouth was a gapping (could see the vents and other innards). It still had "teeth" present around the opening and it had responce (pumped) when fish got too close. My question is (sorry for the hi-jack) is this normal? How long does it take for the clam to respond to the FWD? I fear that I may have been to late in my attempt to fix my clam. Thanks for the responces.
Old 04/08/2005, 11:32 AM
Registered Member

from my experience, my clams have thier mantle peeking out of the shell within a few hours of being back in the display. within a day or two, they look better.
Old 04/11/2005, 12:42 AM
Premium Member

http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/...ead.php?t=7262

The protozoan that causes pinching can be transfered from infected clams to healthy clams.
Old 04/11/2005, 08:13 AM
Registered Member

UPDATE: Clam has pulled through! YEAH!
Old 04/14/2005, 03:08 AM
Registered Member

Did anyone totally get rid of the protozoans in their clams? Unfortunately i lost both clams that I bought from Barry. =T My older clams seem to be toughing it through for now. Maybe time will heal them both...
Old 04/15/2005, 05:49 AM
Got Salt!

I havent ordered the medication yet, its a mute point untill I add a halide over the hosipatal tank..So far I have been lucky with the freash water dips havent lost a clam yet, but I have to dip all dozen or so clams i have at least once a week.......Like I stated earlyer once I find a 250 for a decent price Ill treat the clams for a long period of time in a hosiptal/ q tank...
Old 05/12/2005, 10:00 PM
Blue

I'm confused on how to raise RO waters pH! I thought baking soda dropped pH slightly.
Old 05/13/2005, 01:02 AM
Registered Member

I use this thing called ph balance to bring the ph up. I got it at a lfs so you should be able to find it there.

James
Old 05/14/2005, 01:08 AM
Registered Member

So is there really no treatment so far on the PM? It seems like even with medication for the protozoans it's not 100% curable. I've been transferring everything from my old tank to new tank and my clams are the last ones left. I really want to take them out and put them into the new tank so I can "retire" the old tank.
Old 05/14/2005, 04:49 PM
Registered Member

I got onto this thread too late I lost a clam today that I had gotten 2 weeks ago from Barry and the other one is still hanging on barely. I also ordered a Derasa at the same time as the 2 baby maximas and it had looked great until yesterday I fear it is also showing signs of the PM. So far my only treatment has been soaking them in some DT's for 1/2-1 hour but I am not sure if the other smaller clam is going to make it and now I am worried about the Derasa. This is heartbreaking as well as wallet breaking I sure hope they find a cure that the wholesalers can treat ahead of time. -Carrie (bummed out)
Old 05/14/2005, 07:25 PM
Registered Member

Hey Carrie,

Yes I know it is depressing I lost the two gold maximas I bought from Barry as well. They never had a chance. Now I can't put the other clams in my new tank until there a true cure. My old maximas are alive I think because they're used to my water parameters and since they been in my tank longer they were hardier. I have to dip them once every couple weeks to keep the protozoans from accumulating on their bodies. You should check out the reef frontiers website for more nito. They are using medication on their clams and it seems to work but not 100 percent. There's a link to it on page one or two of this thread. Good luck and if you find any cure let us know!

James
Old 05/16/2005, 04:08 PM
Registered Member

AARRRGGGHHH!!! My 3 1/2 yr old gold maxima is showing signs of the pinched mantle now wah!!!!!! I am really bummed about this because now I fear I can never put anymore clams in my tank. I called Kent Marine to see if the Tech D was good for clams and they said it has excellent results on bacteria infections and it says on the bottle that it is good at preventing the protozoan disease so I would in the future dip any new clam I get - that is if I ever get anymore. I didnt think I had to quarantine the clams because clams direct says they already do which I am sure they do however this time I dont know I feel somehow the stuff hanged in there and reappeared the following week after I got them because they looked beautiful for the first 3-4 days just like the original post says on the reef frontier then slowly got worst and worst and now my original clam has gotten it. I am not trying to point a finger if my tank had this protozoan present than I will just accept it however it is odd that I have had a clam for almost 4 years and another for over a year perfectly healthy and growing then add some new clams and all this stuff happens. I will post how the Tech D works, Carrie
Old 05/16/2005, 04:16 PM
Registered Member

Yes that is how I feel too. My ultra maxima that I've had for almost three years got the infection and I was, and still am really bummed out. It was the first clam that I've got that lived for so long. It now has sentimental values. Please let us know if the Tech D works in the long run. You probably have to use it for a while before you can make sure it actually works. At least 3-6 weeks I'd say. If it does work and your clams don't show signs of PM then a lot of people would be thanking you including me.