Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/10/2005, 12:22 PM
Send money....

Future stocking advice for a newbie?

Hi, I'm slowly setting up a 120 gal (48"x24"x24") reef tank and in amidst all the not-so-fun stuff like sumps, protein skimmers, and lights, the thoughts of who my future inhabitants might be come to mind from time to time. Alot of the stock I've come up with by doing some research are all considered pretty reef safe, and they're all fairly small. I'm looking at fish like a pair of clowns, scooter blenny, neon goby, royal gramma, B/G chromis, fairy wrasse (maybe), and I'd really like a mandarin, but I know that's down the line after the tank matures and still not even sure then.

What I'm wondering about is, along with the group mentioned above, what could I do for a centerpiece fish...or a couple of good sized, colorful fish? I would really like a majestic angel, although I know the reef compatibility is subject to question. What do you all think about that one? Do you have other suggestions for my type of setup? I keep running into the "not reef safe" description on so many of the fish I look at and I wonder if this is just being really general on some of them when real world people are having luck with them in their reefs or what? So, any input/suggestions would be appreciated so that I can think about it and plan for it over the next few months while I get things set up. I do plan on having a QT set up as its own little display so that we can enjoy the fish while they spend their QT time in there. I figure in this manner it may very well take me until the fall before i'm fully stocked. Thanks for any help.
Old 01/10/2005, 01:12 PM
Premium Member

You can't go wrong with a Yellow Tang.

Great fish for a beginner and adds a splash of color to the tank.

I'm planning on adding a pair of Schooling Banner fish. They might pick at feather dusters but are generally considered reef safe. They look almost identical to their cousins the Longfin Banner fish which are NOT reef safe. So make sure you get the right one if you go this direction.

http://www.vividaquariums.com/10Expa...Code=01-1813-S
Old 01/10/2005, 01:27 PM
Send money....

Interesting...Thanks for the reply

Actually, I seem to be leaning away from the yellow tang, just a personal preference.

Still interested in hearing thoughts on the Majestic Angel. Maybe other tangs?