Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Invert and Plant Forums > Tridacnid Clams and other Mollusks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/16/2004, 04:26 PM
TRC Leader

My Maxima looks distressed.

I have my Maxima for 2 years, and it has grown from 2.5" to about 5" in that time. It was under 165w of PC lighting, but now it is under 250w MH and VHO supplementation, but in a 280g tank vs my 29g. The distance from the clam to the lighting is probably 35", with the MH bulbs 7 to 8" off the water. The tank is 30" tall, with a 2.5" substrate. The water doesn't come to the top of the tank though, but rather 2" below the rim (approx.)

I pulled the clam out to look it over for any obvious parasites, and don't see any. What can I do to rule out possibilities, and focus on what is the actual issue? The clam is shut rather tightly, which leads me to believe it feels it is in danger, right?

Old 08/16/2004, 10:49 PM
Premium Member

Actually, no....a clam that doesn't/can't close is in real trouble. If your clam can close tight that should be a relief to you...it's a much better sign!

That being said, he is in trouble. I would suspect two things, eithyer predation or chemical imbalances. (I think you haven't just made this tank move, no?)

First, let's rule out your chemistry. What is your current ALK, CA, PH, temp, and SG, and please list your means of measuring each, like type of kit, or hydrometer vs. refractometer.

If that is all in line, which it may be, and you do not have pyramid snails (have you checked several hours after dark, and around the bysall opening?) I would suspect a fish has turn nipper. Do you have a blenny? Angel? A complete list of fish would be good, as well as other inverts.

Hope we can help!
Old 08/16/2004, 11:39 PM
TRC Leader

I just tested my water about 3 days ago, and these were my numbers. I'll retest tomorrow.

280g reef, 3 x 250w MH, 2 x 160w VHO, 80g sump, refugium, Lifereef Skimmer & Calcium Reactor, just started dripping Kalk 24 hours ago.

Test from 3 days ago:
sg 1.024 (refractometer)
pH 7.97 (currently 8.1) (pinpoint meter)
Temp 79 to 81F (digital)
dKH 10.4 (salifert)
NH4 0 (salifert)
PO4 1 (I need to get this down) (salifert)
NO3 15ppm (salifert)
Ca 435ppm (salifert)

The clam has been with my Flame Angel for about 18 months. However, the entire contents of my 29g and my 55g both combined into a 280g two weeks ago, and the list of livestock is long:

Coral Beauty
Flame Angel
Lawnmower Blenny
Percula Clown
3 Ocellaris
Naso Tang
Powder Blue Tang
2 Hippo Tangs with yellow bellies
1 Hippo Tang
Purple Tang
2 Blue Mandarins
2 green Target Mandarins
2 Blue Damsels
Royal Gramma
Cleaner Wrasse
tiny Australian (something) very small, thin and about 1.5" long. (came with tank)
2 Bengaii Cardinals
Longnosed Hawkfish
Threadfin Anthias
Yellow Clown Goby
Six Line Wrasse

This is the same clam on 8/05/04

I also have a pair of Skunk Cleaner shrimp, Blood Shrimp, Arrow Crab, 4 Fighting Conchs.

One of the big things I watch for are whelks. I haven't seen any in the display tank or around the clam. But something is obviously making my Maxima unhappy.
Old 08/16/2004, 11:43 PM
TRC Leader

Well, I just checked on the clam right now, and I have a really bad feeling.

#1, the clam shells don't align with one another to close correctly. I've never seen that before.

#2)It is open about 1/2", and the mantle is withdrawn to where I can see some of the clam shell inside. I've never seen that before either.

I'm going to pull it out and look at it more closely and see if I can find any obvious predators, but as I've learned thorugh reading, clams don't die slowly. They'll look good one day and be dead almost immediately.
Old 08/17/2004, 12:02 AM
Premium Member

#2 is a very bad sign, as that is true gaping. Gaping is not when the incurrent syphon is open, but when the clam looses the use of its adductor muscle.

As your chemistry is fine, I would VERY likely blame one or both angels, even if you never saw one of them near your clam. THey are notorious clam nippers, and 2 things can happen....one is they can turn nipper suddenly, and without warning. This has happened to countless clam people, and sometimes after the angel has been in the tank problem free for years....there's no rhyme or reason. The second is that the clam is nipping when you're not looking. Most poeple think "oh...I'd see it if it was happening", but the truth is it can go unnoticed for long periods of time without being seen.

Hate to say it, but you may be faced with a choice between those angels in your tank of clam keeping. It has happened to many, MANY people in this forum. Those two angels you have are much worse clam nippers than most full size angels!
Old 08/17/2004, 12:02 AM
TRC Leader

I'm pretty sure it is a goner. I pulled it out of the tank, and saw the bysal gland area is retracted in the clam shell.

I took a toothbrush to it and carefully scrubbed the shell all over, to remove anything that didn't belong. The clam had a hollow sound to it.

Once I put it in water, it opened again, slightly. I dosed some Phyto in the water, but as I watched closely, two bristleworms appeared around the lips of the mantle. That should be my answer right there.

Old 08/17/2004, 12:04 AM
Premium Member

Another thought.....after more consideration, and looking at your first picture, I'm even more inclined to blame predation, likely by an angel. That pose your clam is striking is classic for a clam who is being nipped. They are almost scared to extend their mantle.

Take your clam out and give it a sniff...there will be no doubt if it's gone. better to do that than risk it polluting your tank.

edit: The original post was before I saw the new pics. Give him plenty of phyto, and if possible, give him a protective barrier in the tank like a carton from a strawberry container....he can get light, but no fish can nip, Those bristleworms could be a problem, but might be a symptom and not the cause....they are not predators, and if the clam was stressed and dying from a problem they could have been attracted.
Old 08/17/2004, 12:20 AM
TRC Leader

Well, it doesn't reak, but there is a slight smell to it. I noticed some of the phyto was gone from the water, so I added a bit more and some fresh tank water.

I guess I can make a cover with a 2 liter bottle, as I don't have a berry basket on hand.
Old 08/17/2004, 12:35 AM
Premium Member

That will work for now. As long as he get's some circ.

Do you have any suspicions of angel nipping?
Old 08/17/2004, 01:13 AM
TRC Leader

Well, I won't pretend to rule it out. But the Flame Angel and the Maxima have been together for as long as I had them both and I rarely ever saw an issue.

I have a baby Maxima in the tank that has been completely ignored that is 1.5" in size. I'll be watching it as well.

I took the 2-liter bottle, and cut slits on both sides with my table saw and put it as a dome over the clam, but I'm not even going to get my hopes up after what I've seen this evening.
Old 08/17/2004, 01:19 AM
TRC Leader

I'm feeding my sun coral in the foreground.
Old 08/17/2004, 01:48 AM
Premium Member

I'm encouraged by what I see in the clam...it's not gaping in the true sense of the word (loss of adductor muscle control) as I feared before.

From what I understand, even the most model citizen flame/coral beauty can turn nipper for no apparent reason. I do not know if this is the case, but keep a keen eye on their interaction. If I had to guess (and I'm by no means an expert) I would say they are your most likely cause if we can eliminate chemistry and pyramid snails.
Old 08/17/2004, 06:18 AM
Skeet, Skeet, Skeet

I had a clam that looked like that when I 1st got it. I too was concerned, but it has "recovered" and looks just fine now. I think it is just part of the retraction of the clam.

Good luck.

I didn't mean to take up all your sweet time
Give it right back to you....One of these days
Old 08/17/2004, 11:24 PM
Registered Member

My clam (crocea) looked like that from the bottom as well - when I brought it home. But after a few months, it looks completely healthy.
Old 08/17/2004, 11:41 PM
TRC Leader

I watched the clam closely today, and while a small amount of the mantle peeked out of the shell, it had little of the electric blue color I'm used to.
Old 08/18/2004, 07:09 AM
River Rat

I fell your pain, I too am having problems (3 crocea-now,I lost one) Nipping problem. Black sailfin blenny nipping at everything including sps. I had same problem last year with a MGS clown. Trying to catch the little creep is even worst of a problem. Anyone make a small spear gun?---- kidding aside, I am seriously considering a clam tank (NO FISH). Good luck to you!!
Old 08/18/2004, 09:24 AM
TRC Leader

I have one more fish identified, in case it is blame-worthy. It is a Pseudochromis elongata, or Elegant Pseudochromis. I just found out the name in the past 24 hours. It's a pretty little fish that doesn't come out much, but wasn't listed above.
Old 01/11/2005, 04:36 PM
Was "platapus"

Did this clam ever pull through?
Old 01/11/2005, 04:57 PM
TRC Leader

No, it died unfortunately. Oddly enough, the other maxima in my tank continues to do well.

I think my lack of acclimation of the 2 yr old Maxima is what killed it, not due to harrassment by fish.
Old 01/12/2005, 11:28 AM
Registered Member

Angels that nip at clams

Do all angels nip at clams? I got a small yellow faced pygmy and I caught him nipping yesterday. Will it pass or will I have to make a choice between them?
Old 01/12/2005, 12:20 PM
Premium Member

Most species have the potential of nipping. It seems that the individual fish is about a 50/50 shot at being a nipper. SOme never do it. Some do it right away. Some don't do it for a while, and then start for no apparent reason.

Melev...sorry you lost your clam
Old 01/12/2005, 01:32 PM
Defender against ICH

Mark I don't think the lack of acclimation killed your clam...I think it's the angels. My clam tank is now angel free =\ but I have not lost one since he has been out. I lost 2 after a couple years of not losing any. Angels and clams just dont mix. IMO

"He who has large reef tank has small wallet"
Old 01/12/2005, 01:43 PM
TRC Leader

Hi Hwynboy! If it was the angels, they would have been nibbling on this other Maxima (pictured above). It has never been even looked at.
Old 01/13/2005, 01:05 AM
Defender against ICH

not true.

I lost one of 10 clams...but it was the ONLY one being picked on. Gnaw on that for a minute. Also my friend has 2 maximas and a squamosa...his angel that he SWORE was not nipping...started to and he lost a clam. Only one of three. They dont go on a buffet...they just nip one or two here or there and before you know it...clam go boom boom.

"He who has large reef tank has small wallet"
Old 01/13/2005, 01:44 AM
TRC Leader

Hmmm.