Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Selling, Trading and Transaction Feedback Forums > Buyer/Seller Feedback
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/13/2003, 06:32 PM
August TFR Relay '07

www.jensalt.com is a SCAM!

paid (via paypal) for a custom-made sump about a week before last Thanksgiving. they supposedly built the sump but said finding a shipper was the difficulty.

i allowed a couple weeks of grace during the Thanksgiving/Christmas/New Years holidays.

jen has not responded to any email inquiries for the last 3 weeks and their phone numbers have been disconnected! i've been scammed out of $125 and am PO'd!
Old 01/13/2003, 06:47 PM
On hobby time out!

Take it up with paypal and certainly your credit card if you used one. It sucks to be taken like this. Sorry man
Old 01/13/2003, 11:39 PM
August TFR Relay '07

i've been ripped off

unfortunately, paypal only allows disputes to be filed w/i 30 days of the initial transaction. and guess what, jensalt kept me on the hook for well over that.

i wish i had charged part of it via credit card, but the payment was from existing balances.

i more personally upset more than anything b/c she kept saying she would call me right back and never did. it got to the point where i felt like i was pressing her everytime i called.

thats what i get for being a trusting person. i've completed hundreds of transactions via the i-net and have never been burnt like this.
Old 01/15/2003, 03:00 PM
Premium Member

Hey buddy...

Man, Im sorry..went to the site and it showed new #'?...208-465-7536 or 208-250-3952...maybe you can give them a SHOUT!!! I know the feeling man, went thru the same thing with a certian rodi supplier..I got lucky though

I wish you all the luck!!
There is unrest in the reef, There is trouble with the corals, for the lps want more sunlight And the sps ignore their pleas....The trouble with the LPS,(And they're quite convinced they're right) They say the SPS are just too lofty And they grab up all the light. But the SPS can't help their feelings If they like the way they're made. And they wonder why the LPS Can't be happy in their shade..So the LPS formed a union And demanded equal rights. "The SPS are just too greedy;We will make them give us light." Now there's no more SPS oppression, For they passed a noble law, And the Corals are all kept equal By Reefer.. frag.. and saw.
Old 01/24/2003, 04:15 AM
Can't be listed on **

Tom,

This is quite interesting. THe phone number is disconnected, hmm. the 208-465-7536 number works great, the cell number has been changed and I keep forgetting to put it on the web site. On your sump though it is complete, due to the size of it though the normal shipping companys will not take it. Check with ups and fedex and see if they will take it incase you don't beleive me. Add 6 inches for packing material in all deminsions. As for the weight it will be about 55 lbs give or take a couple of pounds. Our zip code is 83686 just let me know what shipping company you would like me to use and it will be on its way on Monday. I believe airborne will take it as an overnight shipment Jen said something like $300 I believe but you would have to ask here.

I made you a sump for a very good price, it took almost a full sheet of acrylic and if you have priced it lately you would know that is more than 3/4 of the price you paid. My labor made me about $20 on your sump, but I don't make them to get rich I would rather try to help people.

Any what would you like me to do with your sump? Or do you not even believe that it was made I could take some pictures of it for you and post them on here if that would help.

Kim Gross
Old 01/24/2003, 01:22 PM
Registered Member

Kim, you had better check the vendor forum again. I just happened to put our experience on ther as well. "Hmmmmmmmmmm" Having a phone that's connected doesn't help when YOU GUYS DON'T ANSWER! $1115.00 is a lot of money for nothing! Seems like you guys have a good SCAM going.
Old 01/24/2003, 06:36 PM
August TFR Relay '07

jensalt!

kim,
look, i believe that you guys created the sump for me. but what the heck am i supposed to think when...

A. you've taken my paypal payment
B. you guys NEVER called me back when you promised to
C. you didn't reply to any emails for over 3 weeks
D. the phone numbers i called were in fact disconnected and no longer in service. why the heck would i make that up?

i even printed out your address and was about to take this up with the local authorities in idaho, the better business bureau or the chamber of commerce. heck, i've got relatives that live just 20 miles (garden city, ID) from your place of business.

the way i see it, spending $125 on a sump is a great deal, but having to pay $300 to have it shipped? what am i to think?

anyways, Jen promised to pay me back $100 via paypal last Monday (1/20) but surprise, surprise...its already Friday 1/24 and nothing has been transferred nor an email responded to.

my relatives will be driving out here to CA in April, what if i just have them pick up the sump? the tank is already up and running and i'm in no hurry for it but just want a good faith effort here.

sound ok?
Old 01/25/2003, 06:57 AM
Can't be listed on **

Tim,

I don't have any idea what Jen has told you, nor why she has not gotten in touch with you. I know I have a sump that I made in good faith setting in my basement that I would love to ship out, but my understanding is that you do not wish to pay for shipping costs. I don't control how much shipping companys charge to ship items, I agree to make a sump for you which you did pay for, and at the time you paid for it, you said to let you know what shipping will be, since the sump is so large ups and fedex will not ship it. Airborne will, but airborne does not have a ground shipping option and they want aprox 300 for shipping. I will be glad to drop the sump off at any shipping place you want, or if you give me the address to your relatives I can drop it off there. It is your sump not mine. As for giving you back basicly all of the money you paid for it, I'm not sure why you would expect me to give you back all the money, Sure I could try to resale the sump but not many people can use a sump that is that large, I don't know of anybody, so I would loose all of the money that I paid for the acrylic, it took a full 4x 8 sheet of acrylic plus extra pieces that were used to brace up the sides to make sure it will handle the water pressure and shipping.

As for you contacting the local police I'm not sure what they can do for you. I am awaiting your instructinos on what to do with yourr sump. I am not trying to take any money from you, I have told you that you will have to pay extra for the sump, You are responcible for shipping charges as you agreed to. It is not my fault that it is to large to ship. And now you are telling the world that I am a scam, how am I scamming you? Please explain this to me, I know this has already cost me any chances I have of ever getting my mailorder business back up and running but oh well, I can't change history, I will just have to make sure that I don't try to give people a good deal anymore since they just try to take atvatage of me, and then get ****ed at me when I can't force fedex to ship it for $10 or less.
Old 01/26/2003, 10:17 AM
Premium Member

Just a few thoughts here...

I have no dog in this fight other than the bantering taking place in one of the forums I moderate. It seems no one is disappointed with the sump. Rather, the issues seem to center around alleged poor customer service, and unanticipated shipping costs. If I've got this much correct, there's a few questions I'm dying to ask...

First... Who's responsibility is it to determine shipping costs? Not knowing the nature of your private conversations, that's a tough one to answer. I suspect that neither of you really looked into it until the sump was built. TFP, as the purchaser, it would seem prudent to have not had construction begin on the sump without determining shipping costs in advance. Most over size objects are shipped on dimensional weight, and it can get $$$ fast. I'm suprised that UPS and FDX ground won't carry it. ABX ground probably would as well. Additionally, common carriers such as Oldham etc.. would certainly do it. I had a 500lb package shipped to me in Dallas from Atlanta for about $75. There are less expensive ways to do this...

TFP, unless you specifically told Kim to hold off on production of the sump until until the shipping charges could be ascertained, imo you are liable for the sump. That might really suck, but imo you didn't think through your transaction very well, and that's not really Kim's fault. OTOH, if you did tell him to wait, and Kim started making it anyway, without your final authorization, then that's a completely different issue.

Kim,

This statement here really bothers me:

Tim,

I don't have any idea what Jen has told you, nor why she has not gotten in touch with you.

Unless I'm mistaken, isn't Jen your wife? Couldn't you just go ask her what she told TFP? You wanna be seen as a viable responsible person to do business with? Act like one. It seems to me that telling a customer you don't know what your wife told him is just silly... JMO.

the cell number has been changed and I keep forgetting to put it on the web site.

I don't know if you've been ignoring emails and phone messages from TFP or not. But if you have, that's sad. If you haven't been getting your messages, then see above... Wanna be taken as a viable business? Act like one. Update the phone numbers on your website, examine why customers emails aren't getting through. Apologize for your lack of response, regardless of your perceived culpability for it.

Kim, you built the guy a sump, and you feel entitled to be paid for it. I tend to agree with you. Poor email or phone process do not exempt a customer from paying for goods that they ordered, imo. It does give you food for thought though as you determine the future viability of your business. I applaud your efforts to do assist in whatever shipping method the purchaser determines to be satisfactory.

TFP, you may draw the short straw on this one. Your transaction appears to be not well thought out. Bottom line, you paid the guy $125 to build you a sump. He did that. How you feel you don't owe him for it, just because you don't like the shipping cost, is beyond me. This should have been addressed prior to the construction of the sump. If it wasn't, then I'm sorry, but I think it's on you.

Personally, I think you guys can work this out. Perhaps you can do so via email or PM, and report back when you have reached a solution.

It has been requested that this thread be removed. Slander and dishonesty are not tolerated on RC. That said, unless someone can show me evidence of dishonesty or slander in the above thread, it will not be removed just because some find it uncomfortable. That's just not how this forum operates.

Good luck,

Duane
Old 01/26/2003, 12:00 PM
August TFR Relay '07

lets just end it already!

techno,
yes, the shipping costs was the big hitch and although i didn't think it thru, i know that it shouldn't cost $300 for a sump to be shipped. other reputable companies can ship large aquariums for that amount. the sumps dimensions are 30lx20dx28h. their website advertises that they build custom-made sumps so i assumed they ship these things all the time.

the part that kills me is that only AFTER i posted on rf did i receive any response! freakin' 3 weeks of unanswered emails, give me a break! this post seems to have gotten what i wanted...COMMUNICATION!

kim, i don't blame you for any of this. you are just the worker bee getting the job done. the lack of communication and promised returned phone calls probably falls upon your business partner. jen was supposed to check into air_counter-to-counter delivery costs (back in mid-December) and i'm just guessing that should be under $100 based on what everyone has told me here. but i haven't heard since, thus the post here on rc.

i'm not trying to rip you off in anyway either so lets work this out.
can you check into the airport to airport shipping for me? people have told me they've had 65-100lb packages delivered this way for only $75 which sounds reasonable to me.

thanks,
tim
Old 01/28/2003, 07:58 PM
Registered Member

Tim Unforunatly you are wrong. I have sent you 3-4 email in the last 3 weeks and I have not recieved anything back from you. I Did find out counter to counter air frieght for you and told you it could take anywhere from 4 to 6 weeks because of the process of becoming a known shipper.. I heard nothing from you in about a month then my husband finally forwarded an email to me from you, When I got that I returned your email. I am still waiting to get an email from you.
Thank you.
Jen Gross
Old 01/29/2003, 12:06 PM
August TFR Relay '07

enuf already.

jen,
i received your email yesterday from jensalt@jensalt.com but replies to it have come back with delivery notification errors and jensalt.com seems to be down. (probably that sql bug wreaking havoc) i've tried from hotmail, work and pacbell email accounts with the same results.

anyways, i'm also hurt here; being out a sump and $125. my last
post was pretty open to getting this resolved and was leaning in the right direction. but i don't appreciate you saying i'm wrong.

since a refund/partial refund isn't going to happen, will someone look into the airport to airport shipping and let me know via email.

i apologize if i made you look bad, but my only conclusion was based on kims post. i had no idea he was responsible for getting in touch with me.

right now its wednesday morning (i've been attempting to send you emails all last night but kept getting delivery errors as mentioned). can someone get me a quote, status, etc by friday night? . please send all future correspondance to this email account (air_plaza@hotmail.com). if you are not going to act on this, please have kim do it but let me know.

Jen and Kim, my Ebay user id is tri4fun33 and i’ve had over 100 transactions with a perfect record. I’m a very trusting person. No one has benefited here so lets work to get this resolved. I've also got a manifest going that has kept track of all correspondance but i'd prefer not to post it here.
Old 02/02/2003, 10:21 PM
Can't be listed on **

just to let you know we are now back online. THe cable company screwed up our lines and we have been offline for over a week new.

Kim gross
Old 02/08/2003, 10:07 PM
Registered Member

tfp,
i am a known shipper and frequently visit CA. i can ship any amount of weight or size. if you want, i will p/u your sump and ship it for you when i get to my home town for about 60 bucks.

your person will have to meet me somewhere if their location is too far out of my way.

you pay the air-freight service with my discount when you pick up. i want nothing in return but to help a reefer in trouble.

if you want to help me out with anything, its totally up to you.

i will not pack your order and since i am trusted as a known shipper i must inspect the package being packed.

let me know if i can help. i will be going to CA. in a week or less.
i think this is the easiest way to solve your problem.
thanks,
george.
Old 02/09/2003, 03:25 PM
Can't be listed on **

Noni,

The only problem is that the sump is here in Idaho and needs to go to CA not the other way around.

Kim
Old 02/09/2003, 04:26 PM
Registered Member

Oh, real sorry i could't help you. good luck!
Old 02/09/2003, 07:17 PM
Can't be listed on **

Thanks for the offer. We are still working on becoming a known shipper but it is takeing a long time.

Kim
Old 03/30/2003, 11:14 PM
Premium Member

I don't know if this is resolved, but I ship very large packages that don't meet FEDEX Ground or UPS requirements.

Here is a fantastic suggestion - try Greyhound. From a local bus station to a local bus stations.

A 80 pound box 41 x 41 x 8 cost about 60.00 dollars.

I hope this helps.
Old 03/30/2003, 11:28 PM
August TFR Relay '07

grossr,

that is excellent advice. if they sell any large sumps in the future, its nice to have that as an option.

ended up my brother-in-law who lives in garden city, ID came down to visit in mid-March and delivered the sump.
Old 03/31/2003, 12:12 PM
Registered Member

Kim, how are things going? I hope that you have resolved all of your problems. I, nor Brandon really know what to do about our situation. It seems that pressing charges is the only option. It's a scary concept, but something has to be done. It just feels horrible to be taken like that. Morals is a big issue. I just feel bad for you, because you seem like an honest guy who's just trying to make a living and SOMEONE is just bringing you down. Like the new bulbs that you supposedly had in your van to be shipped to me that just seemed to dissappear, according to Jen. I hope all is well for you and that things start working out. Let me know.

Chris
Old 04/24/2003, 08:04 PM
Registered Member

This post, along with the one that I read here:
http://members.cox.net/~gbundersea/a...s/badsumps.htm
by RC member gbundersea made me rethink getting a sump made from these people.

I'm going elsewhere...
Old 04/25/2003, 01:54 AM
Premium Member

Good lord...thats absolutley pathetic!!
There is unrest in the reef, There is trouble with the corals, for the lps want more sunlight And the sps ignore their pleas....The trouble with the LPS,(And they're quite convinced they're right) They say the SPS are just too lofty And they grab up all the light. But the SPS can't help their feelings If they like the way they're made. And they wonder why the LPS Can't be happy in their shade..So the LPS formed a union And demanded equal rights. "The SPS are just too greedy;We will make them give us light." Now there's no more SPS oppression, For they passed a noble law, And the Corals are all kept equal By Reefer.. frag.. and saw.
Old 04/25/2003, 02:53 AM
Moved On

Well that being read............... enough for me (and everyone else with a pulse) to stay away from purchasing ANYTHING from Jensalt. Bad business practices IMO. Oh well. Thanks for posting your horror stories on here. Its not good to hear what happened to you guys, but thanks for saving us potential buyers. (money donators)

Old 04/26/2003, 07:48 AM
Registered Member

That is extremely horrifying.
Old 04/27/2003, 01:32 AM
Registered Member

What else can you say but WOW after reading that web page. No customer service at all or communication between customers!! Thanks for all the info on jensalt. This should make people think twice before ordering from them.