Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/11/2007, 11:29 PM
Red Bug Survivor 2006

Quote:
I shared an order of snails with TCU_reefer, so 50 astreas are in my system snacking on algae.
You only gave me 49.

Click on the red house to view my build thread
Old 11/11/2007, 11:41 PM
TRC Leader

Quote:
Originally posted by poppin_fresh
what membrane did you replace it with? I was thinking of changing my 2 x 100gpds for 2 x 75's. With my cold well water, I think I might actually get better production with the Dow 75's. Plus they have better rejection, 98 vs. 90 for the 100gpds. Long(er) live the DI!
It was replaced with the same. GE Osmonics 100gpd TFM-100

My tap water is around 176 TDS. The old membrane was 6 TDS, and the new one is 3 TDS. Looks like my DI is shot though so I'll have to replace that soon. It is barely pulling anything out because TDS are 2 coming out of the DI. It has almost completely changed color, so I knew it was almost spent.
Old 11/13/2007, 05:33 PM
Zoa's ROCK!!!

Hey marc I have a question about that spaflex tubing: What kind of connectors does it use (if any) like could it be hooked up to regular PVC? Also I have this overflow (SOS)
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...89&pcatid=3589
bought from a local reefer and normal sized PVC fittings (90's 45's T and X) do not fit they are all way way too loose I was going to use Pool tube but they lengths are way too long for what I need and if I can use Spaflex with PVC I am sure it will fit the overflow connection.
Old 11/13/2007, 10:23 PM
grouchy hermit

I'm not Marc but spaflex is sold in the same sizes as PVC and is considered to be the equivalent of flexible PVC. Because it's flexible, it does perform better with specialized spa-flex cement (or at least thicker cement than normal) to do your connections rather than standard PVC cement though standard PVC cement CAN work. Spaflex and PVC can be connected to each other since they're designed to be interoperable. If regular PVC doesn't fit properly in the fittings, I doubt spaflex will fit either.

Spleen

Last edited by spleen93; 11/13/2007 at 10:28 PM.
Old 11/13/2007, 10:31 PM
Master of Funk

spaflex (flexible pvc) has the same outer diameter as regular PVC pipe. It will glue up to regular PVC fittings and pipe.
Old 11/13/2007, 10:53 PM

you also MUST be careful about "spa-flex" because there are multiple items sold under that general name, and some of them are not actually flexible PVC. I got some from Custom Aquatic and it looks extremely similar to the real stuff, although it is a little more flexible and a little more shiny. That stuff WILL NOT glue up to standard PVC with standard PVC cement. In fact I have tried hybrid cements with poor results as well. CA had no idea that they had the wrong product.
Old 11/13/2007, 11:26 PM
Zoa's ROCK!!!

wow thanks for the info. hmm, is the inside diameter the same as regular PVC, cause maby I could slide the spa-flex over the outlets from the overflow and add some clamps.
Old 11/13/2007, 11:39 PM
Registered Member

Saw Marc's tank last night. Some very good growth since I saw it last year. The leather on the right side of the tank is huge...

As always had a good time just talking tanks with Marc and his son.

Thanks for all the help...
Old 11/13/2007, 11:45 PM
Registered Member

RO/DI question?

Marc, is there any way to test TDS other than the electronic meters? Would a general hardness test give the same results?

I really want to get one of the RO/DI units you sell, but I'm worried my tap water will clog the RO membrane in short order. It's very hard, and high in Iron and Manganese, so I'm trying to figure out just what home filtration I need. Unfortunately, the only water quality experts I can find locally just tell me I need to buy their system.

Thanks.

Phil
Old 11/14/2007, 01:39 AM
grouchy hermit

Given how cheap the TDS meters are, wouldn't it just be easier to purchase one instead of spending money on a hardness kit and its reagents? The advantage of the meter is that it's instantaneous results and given how regularly you'll be checking it, this is probably one of the few cases (maybe pH meters also) where going electronic is better than doing the test kits.

Spleen
Old 11/14/2007, 02:08 AM
Registered Member

Because I already have the test kit from my freshwater days. OK, I still have my freshwater tanks, 4 total, but they've been so stable for so long that I never test them anymore.

Phil
Old 11/14/2007, 02:16 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Kentanner11
wow thanks for the info. hmm, is the inside diameter the same as regular PVC, cause maby I could slide the spa-flex over the outlets from the overflow and add some clamps.
That would defeat the purpose of using the spa-flex wouldn't it? The whole idea is to be able to use flexible hose that is gluable to PVC fittings right? Why bring in a point of failure with hose clamps? I have seen many stand sump installs where a variety of hoses and clamps are used, and virtually every one has salt creep at the minimum.
Old 11/14/2007, 02:45 AM
grouchy hermit

Quote:
Originally posted by Alaska_Phil
Because I already have the test kit from my freshwater days. OK, I still have my freshwater tanks, 4 total, but they've been so stable for so long that I never test them anymore.

Phil
TDS actually tests for other things than just calcium and magnesium (which make up general hardness) but you probably could use GH as a crude measure of the effectiveness of the RO filter. It won't tell you though if there are other impurities post-RO/DI water.

Spleen
Old 11/14/2007, 12:03 PM
Master of Funk

Quote:
I dont know if you could clamp it tight enough to ensure it will hold. Spaflex is not as flexible as you would think, especially if you are trying to bend it the opposite way it was rolled. It has a pretty strong memory.
Old 11/14/2007, 12:27 PM
Registered Member

FYI, you can 'relax' Spaflex by putting it in the oven @ 200 or so for 10 minutes. Then it can be laid out / straightened to whatever shape you want.
Old 11/14/2007, 04:36 PM
Zoa's ROCK!!!

I think I am going to have to take my overflow to the store and try to find something to fit it! I am now taking bets for how many times I am going to be asked "what the heck is that" lol. Thanks for the help!
Old 11/14/2007, 04:39 PM
Moved On

Wow!!! Nice looking rays.
Old 11/14/2007, 04:40 PM
Zoa's ROCK!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by jnarowe
That would defeat the purpose of using the spa-flex wouldn't it? The whole idea is to be able to use flexible hose that is gluable to PVC fittings right? Why bring in a point of failure with hose clamps? I have seen many stand sump installs where a variety of hoses and clamps are used, and virtually every one has salt creep at the minimum.

What I would do is slide the Spa flex over the pipes coming from my overflow and clamp and glue and what ever else it takes to keep it on then just run it like 3 feet into my sump.

It is either this or pool hose, which I doubt will fit, but it might....
Old 11/14/2007, 04:56 PM

it would be better to have PVC fittings for it to slide into for gluing.
Old 11/15/2007, 02:46 PM
TRC Leader

Quote:
Hey marc I have a question about that spaflex tubing: What kind of connectors does it use (if any) like could it be hooked up to regular PVC? Also I have this overflow (SOS)
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...89&pcatid=3589
bought from a local reefer and normal sized PVC fittings (90's 45's T and X) do not fit they are all way way too loose I was going to use Pool tube but they lengths are way too long for what I need and if I can use Spaflex with PVC I am sure it will fit the overflow connection.
I used that particular type of overflow on my 55g, along with that blue pool-type hose. It fit over a specific PVC pipe, which the tiny sump came with. I didn't have to search for matching connections. Later when I upgraded to my DIY sump, I simply had the hose drain into the sump so again I didn't need a special connection.

It is very important that you put a hoseclamp on the fitting where it is connected beneath the overflow. Even though the hose will fit tightly, gravity pulls non-stop and eventually it could be a real problem if it ever popped loose. Your tank would continue to fill up from whatever water is in the return section of the sump, and the overflow box would dump water behind the tank on the floor for the duration.
Old 11/15/2007, 02:55 PM
TRC Leader

Re: RO/DI question?

Quote:
Originally posted by huge1day
Saw Marc's tank last night. Some very good growth since I saw it last year. The leather on the right side of the tank is huge...

As always had a good time just talking tanks with Marc and his son.

Thanks for all the help...
It was nice visiting with you Bart. Be sure to send me a link to your tank thread when you get a chance.

Quote:
Originally posted by Alaska_Phil
Marc, is there any way to test TDS other than the electronic meters? Would a general hardness test give the same results?

I really want to get one of the RO/DI units you sell, but I'm worried my tap water will clog the RO membrane in short order. It's very hard, and high in Iron and Manganese, so I'm trying to figure out just what home filtration I need. Unfortunately, the only water quality experts I can find locally just tell me I need to buy their system.

Thanks.

Phil
When it comes to testing your water, there are several ways to measure it.

PSI
Temperature
Phosphate
Nitrate
Chlorine
and TDS.

If your water is very hard, and you've opted to install a water softener in your home, run the RO/DI system after the water softener. This will allow the system to work more easily and the filters will last longer than if they were processing the raw hard water.

You mentioned using freshwater kits. Are they pretty old? Perhaps the readings are no longer accurate at this point.
Old 11/15/2007, 02:58 PM
TRC Leader

Quote:
Originally posted by tedu
FYI, you can 'relax' Spaflex by putting it in the oven @ 200 or so for 10 minutes. Then it can be laid out / straightened to whatever shape you want.
5 minutes is plenty. At that point, it is already too hot to handle for long. I've had to work with it a few times, and holding it with a towel helps me keep my fingerprints.

I don't glue hot fittings, as I don't know if that will be a problem down the road. It cools off relatively quickly, so I just bend it the direction I need it to run, and keep it in that pattern as it cools.
Old 11/15/2007, 05:32 PM
Zoa's ROCK!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by melev
I used that particular type of overflow on my 55g, along with that blue pool-type hose. It fit over a specific PVC pipe, which the tiny sump came with. I didn't have to search for matching connections. Later when I upgraded to my DIY sump, I simply had the hose drain into the sump so again I didn't need a special connection.

It is very important that you put a hoseclamp on the fitting where it is connected beneath the overflow. Even though the hose will fit tightly, gravity pulls non-stop and eventually it could be a real problem if it ever popped loose. Your tank would continue to fill up from whatever water is in the return section of the sump, and the overflow box would dump water behind the tank on the floor for the duration.
Wow that is weird, I am putting it on my 55g lol. I just need something to connect on the overflow and I can leave the ends in my sump.

I might try to see if there is any tubing that might fit I dont really need 8 feet of hose lol ...... anyone happen to know the ID of the pool hose?

Thanks!!!
Old 11/15/2007, 08:44 PM
TRC Leader

Quick video from tonight. Sitting on the floor in front of the reef provides an interesting perspective. The colors are striking, plus I can enjoy the surface agitation.

http://www.melevsreef.com/video/280g_111507.wmv (18 megs - Please Right Click & Save As to your harddrive)
Old 11/15/2007, 09:16 PM

very nice vid. 18 megs?