Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/05/2007, 09:58 PM
Premium Member

Yeah I woluld'nt use pipe dope I would use silicone IME with plumbing nipples into pool pumps.
Old 11/05/2007, 10:57 PM
Registered Member

Wow!! Elos rimless tank of this dimension! Cant imagine how nice it is!!! Subscribing for this fabulous thread! Everything looks great!
Old 11/05/2007, 11:06 PM
Premium Member

Unreal tank. Looks awesome. Love that look. Can't wait to see another beautiful slice of the ocean...

-Marcus
Old 11/06/2007, 01:37 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tylorarm
tbone; Thanks, you put me on to AGE stand, so thanks for that too, they seem to have done a good job at a good price. The tank was full but it was a pretty gentle rocker, although certainly easily felt, where I am. Couldn't see any differential water movement. Gen was great to work with. I think he mixed up my assertiveness with me knowing what i was doing and followed my instructions pretty closely. I think I would have been smarter to do more listening to the expert, but all seems to be ok.
I don't remember talkin to you about the AGE stand LOL. Tom says that their stands are given a "stamp of approval" by an engineer. That was comforting to me. Which LFS did you end up ordering your stand through?

Can't wait to see you aquascape and stock your tank!!!
Old 11/06/2007, 06:48 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tylorarm

Great build so far. Can't wait to see what you do for aquascaping.

One word of caution however, be sure to cycle those ball valves everymonth or so. I've used them in the past and didn't. When I needed them, they wouldn't close. Ended up breaking either the ears off, or the stem.

CAReefer
Old 11/06/2007, 07:28 AM

we need some more updated pics.
Old 11/06/2007, 09:47 AM
Premium Member

Thanks for the tip on those ball valves. The ones above the sump in the picture are for controlling flow to the 165gl cistern in the garage. I have another ball valve after a T from the return pump that controls flow level, these ones control direction. The thought is i can maintain same flow but re-route water to the sump during water changes. I will stick to my monthly W/Cs, and that should help, but I noticed already that I could barely turn the one with both arms.
Old 11/06/2007, 09:50 AM
Premium Member

Here's a pic of the cisterns (also known as plastic water tanks) in the garage. The one on the left is plumbed into the system, the other RODI. I have 150glpd RODI unit from the filter guys on wall to the left.
Old 11/06/2007, 09:51 AM
Premium Member

Old 11/06/2007, 04:45 PM
Registered Member

have to say I wish I had that kind of money to buy something that wonderfull I think I would go diving in it

Even in failure, your only a failure when you quite trying.
Old 11/06/2007, 10:33 PM
Registered Member

holy big tank batman!!
Old 11/06/2007, 11:04 PM
Registered Member

I was wondering when this tank would pop up. When we picked up my tank at Jesse's, my buddies and I had to move yours. Let's just say that 5 guys could barely move it from one pallet to another. I feel for your movers.

Also, did your movers just muscle that beast up, or did they use a genie lift? Just wanted to get some idea because 9 of us had a heck of a time just getting mine out the back of the truck.
Old 11/07/2007, 12:17 AM
Corgilover

Love the tank. Nice size. I also live near the Hayward fault. It actually cuts across the bottom of the hill. The last quake shook the house pretty hard. Tank didn't even skip a beat when I went downstairs to check on it after it stopped.
Old 11/07/2007, 03:57 PM
Premium Member

Bricky; movers (Crown Relocation) took a couple of stabs at it. First time they were under manned and ill equiped. They took a step back, added a bunch of guys and glass suction cups. The had a couple trolleys and blankets, but other than that it was done with manpower very carefully and slowly. I had a couple They ended up doing a very professional job and worked very hard on the client service end.

Ebisan on Earthquakes; I haven't done so yet but before i skin the stand I plan to add angle iron to each corner holding the tank on stand, with rubber pad in between metal and glass. I plan to have the skin go above the glass a bit, and further box things in. The skin will also be attached to the 1.125" plywood base, which is a worry point in time as hate to see what would happen if earthquake shook the stand off the base and it fell 1.25".
Old 11/07/2007, 11:52 PM
Registered Member

Wow Nice Build keep the pics coming..Sweet setup.

(Red House for my 425 system)
Old 11/08/2007, 08:00 AM
Premium Member

WOW! This proves to be one nice build thread! I'm looking foward to seeing that light fixture fired up. Nice tank dimensions! Looking foward to more pictures!
Old 11/08/2007, 06:48 PM
AEFW Assasinator

Very Beautiful tank!

It looks great, look forward to reading this build
Old 12/07/2007, 07:16 PM
Premium Member

WOWSA!

Can't wait to see pics of this big dog filled up and with some beautiful corals, fish landscaping, etc..

I almost had a heart attack looking at the pic of the movers wheeling the tank laying on its side on the dolly. I don't think I could have watched it in person without going over the edge.

Congrats tylerarm!!!

James

James
Old 12/08/2007, 01:56 AM
Premium Member

WOW! very Nice tank !
Old 12/08/2007, 04:10 AM
Premium Member

That is one sweet tank! Do you anticipate any humidity issues in your home with a massive open tank?

R
Old 12/21/2007, 12:44 PM
Premium Member

FishTruck, I'm monitoring humidity. I have dehumidifier but don't run it often. 1926 house so a lot of drafts, fresh air whether i want it or not. Also have a large atic fan to push out air if needed. So far, so good. Fishroom is sealed to outside but has window open at all times, and large fan (2200 cfpm) forces air outside and replaces with air from crawl space below house. More humid than house, but seems ok so far.
Old 12/21/2007, 12:45 PM
Premium Member

i meant fish room is sealed to rest of house, sorry
Old 12/21/2007, 12:46 PM
Premium Member

More pics: Bubbleking gravity fed now (after a few failures) and working great

Old 12/21/2007, 12:50 PM
Premium Member

Marco's rocks; structures designed to work over closed loop boxes were preassembled on my deck. Basic structure is PVC with very strong polyethylene shelf on top. I cable tied a ring of rock around outside (some drilled and some had natural holes). Then filled in the secured ring of rocks with other rocks not attached. Here's what it looked like before i put them into tank:
Old 12/21/2007, 12:51 PM
Premium Member

Dropped into tank: