Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks

Old 11/05/2007, 04:15 PM
Gold Member

Sweet fixture! I thought it looked familiar. I have a 48" Spectra running 2)250W Giesemann 14.5K coral bulbs with 4) 54W Giesemann actinic plus bulbs. To my eyes, it provides a nice white look with a tinge of blue to it.
Old 11/05/2007, 04:19 PM
Premium Member

Slovan; Ah, i didn't notice you also have the spectra, and an elso tank. I didn't notice your thread, but will certainly read it now. Maybe if i had i'd have gotten an KZ skimmer. Too late for that now...
Old 11/05/2007, 04:21 PM
Registered Member

Awesome tank, I am sticking on this thread for a while!
Old 11/05/2007, 04:22 PM
Premium Member

Slovan; your old 210gl aquascaping is similar to what i plan to do, two islands over the overflow boxes.
Old 11/05/2007, 04:26 PM
Gold Member

I never did see what kind of skimmer you're going to run. I'm assuming it has to be super quiet since your wife doesn't like the noise from the Tarpon pump? BK?

Quote:
Originally posted by tylorarm
Slovan; your old 210gl aquascaping is similar to what i plan to do, two islands over the overflow boxes.
I hope you can make yours look better since you have double the width I had to work with.
Old 11/05/2007, 04:53 PM
Premium Member

Skimmer is in the 'new' sump room in the basement, about 50ft from the living room. I had a H&S A300 on order for ever but finally lost patience and bought a BK400ext. Sump room is really noisey right now even without the skimmer running (i don't really have anything to skim right now), but doesn't matter. Sump room also has 50gl frag and 75gl refugium, and garage has two 165gl cisterns, one FW and one online (fed off manifold and gravity flows back to sump). The cisterns add volume and automate W/Cs, which i hate. My previous setup the sump was in a shed outside the living room wall.
Old 11/05/2007, 04:54 PM
Premium Member

Both your previous and current aquascape look great. I hope mine goes as well.
Old 11/05/2007, 04:56 PM
Premium Member

Oh, and the Tarpon was defective, you could hear it throughout the house. PA is giving me a full credit. It was 10x as loud as my Hammerhead that i use for the return, never mind the darts.
Old 11/05/2007, 05:02 PM
Premium Member

Here's a picture of BK400ext, well sort of. It's gravity fed from main return. You can also see manifold that feeds MRC fluidized reactors, Geo CA RX.

Old 11/05/2007, 05:19 PM
Gold Member

Nice selection of equipment! Are you planning on putting any substrate in the tank? What about rock or livestock from the previous tank, any carryovers?
Old 11/05/2007, 05:37 PM
Premium Member

SSB for main display, DSB for refugium. SPS all dead, but I'll add some again and be more careful this time. You certainly added a nice SPS and Acan selection in a hurry, some of my favorites. In fact, i have many of their skeletal remains. I have a ton of zoas, live, mostly keepers but some that are ugly and out of control. I have a 12" fireworm that is a confirmed SPS eater, he will likely finally be vanquished in the near future, this time i mean it. I have a long-time hitch hiker crab, he's in the only rock in my new frag tank, he was in my 20gl current refugium. I still have my original clean up crew with large mex. turbos, astral, electric blue and scarlet hermits, and one emerald crab. Tons of baby snails, stomatella & others. They'll all be trasferred over. I plan on fresh water dipping rocks with zoas, and cleaning or cooking most of the rest. New Marcos rock just arrived today. Current fish are tangs; Duss, Chevron & Purple, Harlequin Tusk, Arabian Dotty, Marine Betta, Majestic Rabbit (confirmed SPS nibbler), Flame Hawk, all will be moved to new tank when ready. I'm not sure if I'll add some others prior, because current inhabitants are not new joiner friendly.
Old 11/05/2007, 06:31 PM
Premium Member

WOW, truly incredible!.
Old 11/05/2007, 07:01 PM
Registered Member

nice choices!!
I have a BK300 for my Elos 160xl
Old 11/05/2007, 07:06 PM
Premium Member

Thanks Bogg, just getting started i suppose although i've been going at it in pieces since I ordered the tank in May.

Boozeman, thanks, I'll definitely go to you for help when i actually get the BK running. Not much in the way of operating instructions.
Old 11/05/2007, 07:15 PM
Premium Member

Wow, you have the grand daddy of all elos tanks! Very nice! I was wondering what that little device is on the end of the water return nozzle?
Old 11/05/2007, 07:18 PM
Premium Member

Sump built for me by Gen at Kritters, 60"x 30" x 24" with 8" partitian length wise. All the drains come in then water flows 5ft, then comes back 5ft, passing through live rock in main body of the sump (haven't added much rock yet). Traveling 10' should help microbubbles. Pretty messy right now as I'm redoing the shelf i had to hold filter material that was too small (was only 15" long). I'm making a new one twice as long, hopefully work better.

Old 11/05/2007, 07:20 PM
Premium Member

Maximus; the device on end of returns is eductor. Helps me lower the water throughput in DT from the Hammerhead return yet add flow to the DT. I took one off on the go one time and just about overflowed the tank before i could get it back on. That Hammerhead really cranks out water when less back pressure.
Old 11/05/2007, 07:29 PM
Registered Member

Beautiful Tank! Gen built my sump as well...he's a great guy. Did you have your tank filled prior to our recent 5.6 quake? How'd it do?
Old 11/05/2007, 07:30 PM
Premium Member

You may notice from the pic's that i'm a pretty sloppy plumber. However, many tips here on RC have helped me tremendously. One thing I'd like to pass on is regarding threaded connections. I had many in my closed loops and used plummers paste (not putty). It soft sets and is useful. However, i was afraid I'd have leaks so didn't fasten anything down and tested. Everything was fine, so bolted 'er down then they almost all leaked. I think when i bolted them down i twisted them and soft set unset. Big PITA redoing them.
Old 11/05/2007, 07:35 PM
Premium Member

tbone; Thanks, you put me on to AGE stand, so thanks for that too, they seem to have done a good job at a good price. The tank was full but it was a pretty gentle rocker, although certainly easily felt, where I am. Couldn't see any differential water movement. Gen was great to work with. I think he mixed up my assertiveness with me knowing what i was doing and followed my instructions pretty closely. I think I would have been smarter to do more listening to the expert, but all seems to be ok.
Old 11/05/2007, 07:45 PM

tylorarm, very nice aquarium and thanks for the compliments! I am very glad to see a nice big rimless tank bigger than mine. It shows you the potential of some rimless aquariums. I bet it looks great from top-down. Cant wait to see it with your live rock and livestock. Keep the pics coming.
Old 11/05/2007, 07:50 PM
Premium Member

thanks, moving slowly but surely. Rock is now sitting in my driveway. I have shelving system i've been working on but not sure if it'll make the cut. Only stubborness has kept me working on it to this point. i want to be able to remove any rock without others falling or being adversely affected, dare to dream...
Old 11/05/2007, 08:08 PM
Registered Member

What precautions can you take with a tank like that in earthquake country?
I'm drooling....... Awesome!!

Joe
Old 11/05/2007, 08:18 PM
g l a s s b o x

was on the phone with jesse today and he told me about this...beautiful set up and nice equipment selection

"i like bubbly, and i love animals - so it works out well"

"there are a lot of people out there who think they have a modern house simply because they have alot of steel in it"
Old 11/05/2007, 08:42 PM
Registered Member

you will surely have an amazing piece of the ocean in your home, very nice job, I can only dream about having tank this size with all the gadgets you have at the moment.

Its truly hard to understand how large this tank is, I have an acrylic 240 which is 8x2x2, this is two of them side by side ITS HUGE!!!

Good luck with the new tank!!!

37g Tall FOWLR - 30x12x22, Current 2x 65w PC, Seio M620, Marine Life Aquatics Aggressor II HOB Skimmer