Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04/03/2007, 02:50 PM
Registered Member

Looks real nice!

What exactly is holding the bottom sheet of glass on the stand? From the pic's it only looks like 2x4's front to back/sides. If its a completely flat bottomed tank, your going to need to rethink the support structure to relieve those stress points. But I could be wrong.
Old 04/03/2007, 02:52 PM
Grampa Extroardinaire

I'll bet that lili firefish in there is sayin "cool, I've got this 11 foot tank all to myself."

Too old for women to care
Old 04/03/2007, 04:03 PM
Dumb Hobbiest

Tank only sits on the edge. It has plastic trim.

I saw the 'firefish' it is actually an ollusion, there is not a fish in the tank, I think its from the camera.
Old 04/03/2007, 08:24 PM
Premium Member

love the length of that tank
Old 04/03/2007, 11:19 PM
Premium Member

I would be very concerned about the Bottom of the tank not having additional support accross the bottom to support the heavy weight from the rock and sand.

Great looking tank and stand set-up.
Old 04/04/2007, 06:28 PM
Registered Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by poacher
[B]I would be very concerned about the Bottom of the tank not having additional support accross the bottom to support the heavy weight from the rock and sand.

I second that. That tank is really big to be just resting on the edge. It should be on one solid, heavily reinforced, flat, object. (wood, iron, steel, etc...) Then, as stated in glass cages warrenty and set up instructions, should have a 3/4 piece of styrofoam in between the tank and stand. The tank will settle from the weight over time and could easily stess crack. I would seriously think about reconsidering the stand. It's not too late, you have no live stock at risk. Yes it's a pain to redo the rock and water etc... but it will be well worth it! I would also think abou putting a floor in it if you do tear it down as some one mentioned before. Just my 2 cents. Good luck!
Old 04/06/2007, 01:19 AM
DIY Junkie

I would say that if the manufacture built it with a tirm around the edges it will support it. 120 talls are built the same way...and there is no more weight on the edges of that tank than there is a 120 tall. you can go as long as you want.....just don't go taller or wider without changing the bottom. most large manufacturers make all of their small ( less than 24"wide) tanks to be supported only on the outside edges. actually, i hear that placing a large glass tank on a flat surface with the glass in direct contact can weaken the tank by causing small differences in pressure.
Old 04/06/2007, 03:08 AM
Premium Member

Looks nice
Old 04/06/2007, 08:26 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Blaze
Well, after much delay, pics are here!

Heres some plumbing,

Pump,
Is this a used tank, that has been resealed?
Old 04/07/2007, 07:52 AM
Dumb Hobbiest

No.
Old 04/07/2007, 08:59 AM
Keeper of the Hair Algae

Great tank! Wish I had 11' of space to fill!
Old 04/19/2007, 07:32 AM
Registered Member

any updates on this tank, am interested as this is the tank I want to get from glass cages
Old 04/19/2007, 11:42 AM
Dumb Hobbiest

I'll have new pics tommorrow!

It is up and running, other than some micro bubbles it is going great.
Old 04/20/2007, 11:15 PM
Registered Member

dude, this tank looks amazing. i think these guys raise some good concerns though, thats a lot of tank and it would really suck for it to break.
Old 04/21/2007, 03:17 PM
Registered Member

where are the pics????!!!!
Old 04/22/2007, 12:02 AM
Registered Member

When that tank was delivered to you did it have a green information card taped to the inside of it?

If so, did you READ the card? Have you ever set up a tank before that utilized construction techniques that are similar to this one?

Have you ever LOOKED at a tank that sits on its perimeter plastic bracing? Did the bottom sheet of glass stop short of the walls of the tank or did the walls sit on the bottom sheet?

Is that stand sitting on carpet? It looks like the stand might be sitting directly on the carpet but I cannot tell. If it is sitting directly on the carpet then you might want to rethink this.

If the tank DID NOT come with a green information card upon delivery then I suggest that you call the manufacturer immediately and ask for the appropriate installation instructions. Perhaps they will meet you in the middle for the cost of draining and reworking the tank.

As it currently sits that tank WILL have the bottom sheet of glass break. Please note that breakage of any kind is NOT covered under warranty from the manufacturer. If a seam leaks then you will have a case for 90 days. WHEN the bottom sheet breaks you will have NO recourse due to the poor installation.

FIX IT or you are in for a HUGE mess at some point down the road.

Please READ the installation instructions from the manufacturer and then LOOK at the stand and tank as they currently sit. I am not trying to cause problems, I am trying to help.
Old 04/22/2007, 06:38 AM
Premium Member

I keep reading all the well-intentioned suggestions about the support of the tank, and what keeps going through my head is that none of the stands by AGA, Oceanic, etc, have a solid top. The tanks just rest on the edges. So why would this tank be any different? Certainly not trying to get into an arguement, just looking for information.
Old 04/22/2007, 08:14 PM
Monkey

I'm with you 20 20. I've seen tons of glass cages tanks and every one of them sat on a stand that supported the edges only. The walls of the tank are set ON the bottom of the tank, and there are internal double braces siliconed to add extra strength.

That said, there ARE 4 2X4 cross braces that I can see. As far as I can tell, the stand should be plenty strong.
Old 04/24/2007, 09:59 AM
Dumb Hobbiest

Quote:
Originally posted by 20 20
I keep reading all the well-intentioned suggestions about the support of the tank, and what keeps going through my head is that none of the stands by AGA, Oceanic, etc, have a solid top. The tanks just rest on the edges. So why would this tank be any different? Certainly not trying to get into an arguement, just looking for information.
Exactly. Even if the stand had a solid sheet across, the tank would only touch it around the edges. The bottom of the tank has a trim peice just like all other tanks, which raises the glass about 1/4" off the bottom.

No tanks rest on the bottom glass. Not all glass not perfecto not oceanic. If it has a trim or frame on it, it rests on the frame.

Thanks for the input.

Crackedbottom, I am intrigued by you. You joined RC just to comment on this, and even got the creative name of crakedbottom. Who are you really?

AS for the carpet. Again, many tanks are on carpet. I am sure the wwight of this system will flatten it out very well.

All being said, I had nothing to do with the building of the stand. I would have built it differently, but it was built by a Home Contractor, and is plenty strong.

After all, have you looked at Allglass, oceanic, Perfecto, RJ, etc... stands?

A lot of them are pressboard, or 1"by pine. Some of them the tank only rests on the top trim molding which is only held to the stand by staples. In fact, all of their stands are built with staples.
Old 04/24/2007, 10:49 AM
Registered Member

The tank has a solid sheet of glass across the bottom and this is what the tank rests on. There is a thin piece of polycarbonate molding across the bottom of the tank to hide the silicone joints. This piece of molding has a 90 notched into it by the manufacturer and then is heated to a temperature where it becomes pliable. Once pliable, it is wrapped around the corners of the tank.

You obviously were not present for the installation of the tank or you would not make statements claiming that the bottom of the tank rests 1/4" off the stand. Other manufactuers commonly use a one piece, injection molded frame with pilot grooves for the side sheets of glass. That is a completely different design principal and is not relevant to this discussion.

This tank is not installed per the instructions provided by the tank manufacturer. As such, all warrantees that would normally be in effect are null and void. The tank requires a solid sheet of plywood with a sheet of styrofoam across the entire surface. This is because the tank sits on the bottom sheet of glass, and it needs a forgivng surface to rest on.

As currently installed, this tank will have the bottom sheet of glass crack at some point in the future. I suggest that you fix it as soon as possible.

Should you doubt any of the facts stated above, please contact the manufacturer of the tank. Please explain the installation to them and provide them with the pictures that are found within this thread. They will advise you how to proceed from this point forward.

I am trying to help you. The installation as seen in the pictures is horrendous and is destined to fail. PLEASE call the manufacturer. Please READ the installation instructions on their website.
Old 04/24/2007, 11:24 AM
Registered Member

Crackedbottom.... I'm mainly a lurker on these forums and yet I had to comment on your method of being "helpful"... you do realize you’re being condescending and arrogant don’t you? If your true intentions are to be helpful then you might want to state your opinion and let Jeremy Blaze take the risk. After all it is his tank and his money. I do however find it odd that you’re a new member and starting such commotion in these forums. Why do you have such an interest in this particular system setup? If you’re here just to act malicious and to annoy others I suggest you get a move on…
Old 04/24/2007, 12:06 PM
Dumb Hobbiest

Thanks again for the input. As stated at the begining , the tank is not mine, and I can not make all decisions on the tank and its set up.

Crackedbottom, you certainlly have a lot of knowledge of this tanks construction!
Old 04/24/2007, 10:36 PM
DIY Junkie

Actually, all-glass, perfecto will not warranty their tanks if they are not on one of their stands...sound like bs to me. most of their stand look like pieces of crap built by monkeys with air tools. Jeremy...don't sweat it. that standlooks like it will easily support that tank, and the tank looks to be designed to sit on it's rim.

Cracked bottom: i have heard that you should only place acrylic tanks on foam. glass will crack if supported that way...at least the thin stuff all glass and perfecto use.

Jeremy: who is this tanks manufacturer?
Old 04/25/2007, 08:12 AM
Dumb Hobbiest

The tank was built by Glass cages.

They did a great job, we were real happy with the tank, with one exception.

When the tank was ordered, Tom said he would put 3 center braces in it, as we were planning on using 4 metal halides. However, when the tank arrive, it had 4 braces. There was a drawing of the tank still in it that had the 3 braces, and someone had clearly drawn in a 4th brace, after the fact.

Other than that, it was built on time and shipped when promised. It has a few sloppy spots of silicone, but then again so did my All Glass 180 RR tank.
Old 04/25/2007, 08:54 AM
Premium Member

Hmmmm just speculation but it sounds like cracked bottom might be the manufacturer!!

I think this is a hint from them that it's not going to be covered if it breaks.

Could crackedbottom be glass cages??????