Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Invert and Plant Forums > Tridacnid Clams and other Mollusks

Old 02/02/2007, 04:18 PM
Registered Member

Clam under PC

75 gallon with 260w PC fixture
if I added a 24" 65w PC fixture over the half of the tank where I would put a clam, would it be ok?
You MUST have Metal Halides
DSP & BB are BOTH wrong
Your skimmer sucks
Your W/Cs regimen is wrong
Your tank is too small for a Tang
Old 02/02/2007, 04:29 PM
Registered Member

not for a maxima or crocea.
Old 02/02/2007, 07:16 PM
Registered Member

Agreed, maybe a Deresa

I have one under my PC's
but my tank is also very shallow (9"?)
Old 02/02/2007, 09:21 PM
Registered Member

After reading all the threads on clams and lighting the minimum kind of lighting I'd get for raising any clam would be a MH or VHO(depending on the VHO setup). There are some people that claim success with clams under PC's but I wouldn't take the risk.

A couple months ago I thought I would be okay getting a clam under PC's also, but patience and having a low budget helped me take the time to research and gain knowledge. I'd rather take the time and get the requirements for a clam than get a clam and have it suffer from insufficient lighting, imo.
Old 02/02/2007, 11:50 PM
Registered Member

Deresa's do just fine under PC from what I see and hear
Giga's too, but they get WAY to big
Old 02/05/2007, 05:26 PM
Registered Member

i have 3 clams under my 240 w pc's. IMO people must think before they come to a conclusion about clams and lighting. I work at an aquarium store and i explain this one over and over every day. U can keep any clam no problem, just put him high in the reef. my 3 clams i have are 4-5 inches from the top. I angled them in the rock so when i look through the front of my class ic an see the beautiful colors. so yes, you can do anything as long as you physicly give them enough light. use ur imagination people (bottom of tank has less light than top!)
Old 02/06/2007, 11:02 AM
Premium Member

I agree with rabidcrab. There are many factors when it comes to taking care of a clam in addition to the lighting. Placement and tank maintenance are other main factors. The main thing with PC's is that they need to be replaced about every 6 months as they seem to lose intensity after that. It's not that clams cannot be kept under PC's, it's just that people have better success using metal halides. I have used NO, VHO, metal halides and PC's with my clam, and I didn't really see a difference. I just adjusted the clams placement in respect to the lighting that I was using.
Old 02/06/2007, 11:07 AM
Registered Member

Yeah, i cleaned someones tank today and they had clams that were 8-12 inches and they had PC's. Pretty amazing if you ask me.
Old 02/18/2007, 07:06 PM
Premium Member

A local LFS has 3 under PC's in a 36" display tank with them at the bottom. The PC's are another 16" off the surface and they have been doing fine for the past few months. It depends on the clam and where it was harvasted. If it was harvested from deep than youll be ok with PC's. Some clams can be as deep as 50' under the surface.
Old 02/18/2007, 07:13 PM
Registered Member

tmplge brings up another good point.. most people dont consider were the animal was collected from. definetly.
Old 02/18/2007, 07:46 PM
Team RC Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tmplge
The PC's are another 16" off the surface and they have been doing fine for the past few months.
a few months is No testament to success

------------------------------------------------
Old 02/18/2007, 08:03 PM
Team RC Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rabidcrab
tmplge brings up another good point.. most people dont consider were the animal was collected from. definetly.

the people that collect these clams use snorkels or hookahs. there very good at what they do but they dont go that deep.

i think this thread should be renamed "you may be barely able to sustain a clam without these recommendations, but if you want to give your clams what they need to thrive read this"

Old 02/18/2007, 10:16 PM
Registered Member

i have 4 clams thriving under 180watts of PC
Old 02/18/2007, 11:52 PM
Team RC Member

Quote:
i have 4 clams thriving under 180watts of PC
what kind? and for how long? Pics please!

Quote:
i have 3 clams under my 240 w pc's.
you contradict yourself within the same thread, do you have 3 or 4 or 180w PC or 240W PC

Old 02/19/2007, 06:23 AM
Registered Member

AGAIN, people that can't/won't purchase the correct/best lighting rationalizing and justifying why it's okay. Rapidcrab, with great info being handed out like that no wonder LFS get a bad rep. I have a small almost non-profit LFS that I started to just help give GOOD information. Can you live in a cave for a months or a year with little to no light, yes. Would you be healthy and happy, no. Can you keep a corcea or maxima under PC's, yes. Are they healthy and happy, NO. Would you or the clam make it to two years? five? Probably not. There is no subing for MH's ( maybe T5's, un sure still,IMO) I have 18 clams in three sifferent tanks and would never keep them under anything less than MH's.

Tmplge - Your telling me that those clams are 48"+ under PC's and doing fine? Not without natural sunlight or a tank next to it producing enough light . Or its been a few months and they are very slowly dying, or possible what type type of clam.

Natsak - That's a terrible thing to put out there. You are saying lighting doesn't matter, only clam placement. Do you work at a LFS also? The advice we give on RC should be tried and true, not "I've really lucked out and have done this" advice. There are people trying to learn so that they can keep healthy animals.

I reef so that I can enjoy the sight of healthy, happy animals, not just so I can have them. I'd never have or sell an animal where there isn't the right equipment, food, or information for long life.
The rest is garbage info, I'm sure I can keep a dersa under a 200 watt house bulb or a small fish bowl in the window, but I won't.

Racso - get all the info you can, then buy the CORRECT lighting and have happy, healthy, LONG lived clams.

Sorry, this type of thread always ticks me off and always pops up - The JUSTIFERS just won't give up, they'd have to admit they made mistakes.
Old 02/19/2007, 10:54 AM
Registered Member

mbbuna..... i took off a couple bulbs and put them on a different tank, and got a new clam :]

rockhead..... LFS dont get bad reps from saying you can keep a clam alive under pc's. ive never sold anything to just make profit. When i say you can do it, I also say you have to put the clam up high, right under the lighting. Ill show you what my set up looks like. Ive never had any problems with keep clams healthy and happy with my lights. and im sure i wont have problems.

People fail at keeping clams because the fail to get a feel for the animal's health. but for people like us, who know what they are doing, it wouldnt be a problem. Keeping clams under MH's is great and includes no risk with light problems. But IMO and my experience.... clams with PC's are great too (considering a few factors)

Ill post pictures if you guys are really gonna be skeptical about it.. lemme get my camera stuff together.
Old 02/19/2007, 11:24 AM
Registered Member

These pics are like 30 mins after i turned on my lights, nothings really opened up and colorful...and sorry for the pic quality these were just quick pics i just took...

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

(the clam on the bottom im moving to a 30 cube SPS tank)

do they look unhappy and starving to you?
Old 02/19/2007, 11:44 AM
The Incredible Mr. Limpet

rabidcrab nice tank!
My local LFS has a show tank that nothing is for sale and has PC's and 6 clams along with alot of corals for the past 5+ years and they are doing great!
He has pictures to show the evolution of the tank from the beginning and the have grown quite a bit.
I've seen it first hand. It can be done.
Old 02/19/2007, 12:04 PM
Team RC Member

nice NEW tank, how long have you had the clams? i see little or no coralline algae growth on the back tank. keeping a clam alive for a few months isnt proof of them thriving

Old 02/19/2007, 12:10 PM
Team RC Member

this reminds me of a guy a few years ago that used to crow about keeping clams under normal output fluorescents. he has a web site that explains "how " he does it. i check in to his site every now and then. he always has different clams, i wonder where the old clams go? but technical he does keep them under these lights

Old 02/19/2007, 12:18 PM

I have no clams yet and my tank is 2+ years old and you'll never see coralline algae on the back of my tank I scrape off as soon as I notice it. I like the black background. My rocks are covered with it and thats it.
So rabidcrab doesn't have any...what's your point?
Old 02/19/2007, 12:19 PM
Registered Member

the tanks been around for a year. i dont need to justify anything to you, this thread went from giving opinions on exp. to select people being close minded and hard headed. mbbuna ur just following the crowd.
Old 02/19/2007, 12:21 PM
Registered Member

i keep my tanks spotless, and i dont care for growing coralline on my glass, i take it off as soon as i see it
Old 02/19/2007, 12:23 PM

Happens all the time...reef envy...

Quote:
the tanks been around for a year. i dont need to justify anything to you, this thread went from giving opinions on exp. to select people being close minded and hard headed. mbbuna ur just following the crowd.
Old 02/19/2007, 12:41 PM
Team RC Member

Quote:
Originally posted by D-Rod
Happens all the time...reef envy...