Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks

Old 03/01/2007, 08:32 AM
Premium Member

updates/pictures?
Old 03/03/2007, 12:04 AM
Be the valve.

Sorry-nothing new to post that is interesting. You can only post so many epoxy lay-up pictures. If I didn't have a job, this would be much easier and faster.

However, the LAST FIBERGLASS goes on this weekend. And, the bulkheads are on the way so I will be drilling in a week. 14 holes to seal once drilled.

Shopping for glass has started.
Old 03/03/2007, 08:30 AM
Registered Member

You all should look at my fellow norwegian aquarist web page on plywood construction:

http://www.jonolavsakvarium.com/eng_...200litres.html

Dan
Old 03/04/2007, 06:55 AM
Registered Member

If you check that page, also look at this:

http://www.jonolavsakvarium.com/eng_...006/index.html

It's a much smaller tank, but built with a better technique. In fact, the same technique dsandfort is using! Except the resin is polyester instead of epoxy. The advantage of polyester is price and ease of use. Epoxy is a far superior resin since it allows taking advantage of the full strength of the fiberglass, whereas the polyester only allows 1/3 of the strength to be used. It has to do with the brittleness of polyester that makes it break long before the fibers. But still, when you never use that strength, like me, there is no point in having it.

The page has some theory around building these tanks. I see some people are using up to 10 layers of glass on the inside of the tanks. What's the point? Surface strength? Even 1 layer of epoxy and glass gives enough of that. Stiffness? For stiffness you must place the glass on the outside of the tank not on the inside.
Old 03/04/2007, 10:31 PM
Premium Member

and, as a side note, don't forget Jon's concerns regarding using long timbers for the front frame as opposed to plywood, mentioned here:

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...5&pagenumber=3

Great work Jon, by the way, and great thread dsandfort. Good luck.
Old 03/04/2007, 11:36 PM
Be the valve.

Don't forget...there is 1/4" angle iron sandwiched in 1/4 saw douglas fir around the face. I'm not worried about twisting.

Oh yes.............FIBERGLASS IS DONE. YAHOOOOO.
Old 03/04/2007, 11:50 PM
CT Area Reef Society

nice, now lets see it!
Old 03/04/2007, 11:52 PM
Premium Member

dsandfort - I didn't forget - my comments were for your (growing) wider audience, not your goodself. That's why is was a side note.

Keep up the great work!
Old 03/05/2007, 01:29 PM
Premium Member

You ended up with 6 layers inside, correct?

1 fiberglass
2 epoxy
1 fiberglass
2 epoxy

Did you allow it to dry between coats, then sand, and apply another?

Got my epoxy and fiberglass in late last week, so will probably start cutting plywood this coming weekend. I went with Raka epoxy, instead of West Systems. I read several comparisons and hope it will be just as good, but less expensive.
Old 03/05/2007, 01:35 PM
Premium Member

Not exactly sure why you'd want to double- up on the fiberglass, is that perhaps to strengthen the resin against cracking? But then again I got the 8 ton air-conditioner rather than the 6...
Old 03/05/2007, 01:54 PM
Be the valve.

Hi Mark-
Yep, 6 layers.

The way it works is to lay down the fiberglass cloth dry then wet it out with epoxy making sure to get all the fibers wet. You can tell they are wet when they become transparent. Then squeegee out most of the epoxy with a straight edge. You want the fiberglass mat in contact with the wood and not floating in epoxy.

With West System, you can recoat when the previous coat reacts and is almost set up, about the tackyness of masking tape. If you let it go too far, no tack, then you need to let it cure completely, sand it down and go again.

I used slow set hardner and was able to get 3 layers down in 1 day. Then I sanded it all down and did 3 more layers. I tried fast set hardner but it was too fast on the big surfaces. I think the middle sanding gave me a nicer finished product.

Have fun, wear your gloves. Raka has a good how-to page. You might want to pick up some fillers to thicken the epoxy. Much easier to fill holes and other imperfections.

Del
Old 03/05/2007, 04:53 PM
Premium Member

Del,
I did get some filler for thickening it up. Also got the pumps, so it should be just as easy to mix as the WS.

When you were laying the fiberglass, did you start with one flat surface (let's say the bottom), apply the fiberglass and overlap the sides, back and front. Then flip the tank on to it's back and lay the fiberglass on the back, still overlapping the bottom and sides? Or, did you try to work on vertical surfaces? And, on the first layer of fiberglass, did you end up with mutliple layers in the corners from overlapping?

Thanks in advance for your answers. Trying not to screw this up. I've done plenty of wookworking, but never used fiberglass and epoxy before.
Old 03/05/2007, 09:39 PM
Be the valve.

I tried my hand at vertical surfaces, I'm not very good at it. So, like you said, 1 flat surface at a time. This ended up with 2 layers of fiberglass on each surface and 4 layers in each corner.

Here are some updates.................

Last fiberglass in the overflow. Actually, last fiberglass period.

Finish joinery on the outside corners. The glop in the top left is where I missed a big drip and glued the entire tank to the floor. NOTE TO SELF: Use some plastic dummy.

Now some real aquarium type stuff. Bulkheads. The ones on the back of the overflow will actually go in the bottom. 2 closed loops fed from the back, 1 under the substrate, 1 to the top middle 1/3 of tank. 2 more fed from the sides and returning in the top left and right 1/3s. 1 bulkhead in the overflow is just for a small manifold to drip in new arrivals.

Old 03/05/2007, 09:59 PM
CT Area Reef Society

nice job. do you have any photos from the front or top down?
Old 03/06/2007, 12:17 AM
Registered Member

This is a very interesting thread!... I have subcribed, I will be watching this closely!!!!! CONGRATS!!!!
Old 03/06/2007, 01:42 AM
Premium Member

Might want to put a guard on that radial arm saw...
Old 03/06/2007, 02:05 AM
Registered Member

THAT IS ALOT OF BULKHEADS!!!!!!!!
Old 03/06/2007, 02:24 AM
g0t fIsH

dsandfort, very very nice i know how it is working with fiberglass and man that stuff is itchy, for the trick i coat myself with baby powder on me so glass won't soak in my pore when sanding it down, six layers this baby is gonna be so strong, but more won't hurt in the beginning but less will kill you in the end...keep it up looking great
(red house for 600gal)
Old 03/06/2007, 02:28 AM
Registered Member

IF you get fiberglass in your skin, just get some duct tape and put it on your wound and PULL!!! It works great!!!! Trust me!... the hair hurts a little!!!

-Dustin
Old 03/06/2007, 02:35 AM
g0t fIsH

yeah that leave a mark, just like 40 year old virgin lol
(red house for 600gal)
Old 03/06/2007, 12:21 PM
Registered Member

After sanding take a cold shower to wash it off, then switch to hot shower. That way your pours are closed until most of the glass is off the body then when you switch to hot water the pours open and hopefully any trapped glass will come out.
Old 03/12/2007, 07:48 PM
Be the valve.

HELP ME!!! Can't.......stop.......fiberglassing.......HELP.

I got to thinking about years (hopefully) of water flowing over the tank weirs (hopefully) and the destructive forces of water and just had to add more figerglass. The actual weirs now have 4 layers of fiberglass and 15 coats of epoxy. I think that will last a while. I am now officially done with fiberglass and only need to drill and epoxy the bulkhead holes.

Old 03/12/2007, 08:05 PM
Ozone Sniffer

Umm, that should do it.

"Be sure and wear a speedo lest tangs nest in your britches"
Old 03/12/2007, 08:07 PM
Premium Member

Yedah, but now the tank's actually smaller!
Old 03/12/2007, 08:27 PM
Be the valve.

Well, it's actually about 30 mils deeper (about 0.03 inches taller water column). Can I add that to my posted volume? I figure we all need to include plumbing pipe volumes in our posts. Let's see...pie are squared, no, no, cornbread are squared, pie are round.

And by-the-way Mr. Oldsmobile, I gave up cold showers in the 70's. About the time I gave up, uh, quit, uh...got married.