Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02/15/2007, 05:50 AM
Skeet, Skeet, Skeet

The epoxy is what makes it waterproof.

I didn't mean to take up all your sweet time
Give it right back to you....One of these days
Old 02/15/2007, 12:48 PM
Be the valve.

If I do a good job with the epoxy it will (should) be waterproof. I'm painting the inside to get the background color I want.

Also, West System is an amine-based epoxy and there is a possibility of leaching some amine compounds. Although I did folllow the West System data sheed on tank building to reduce this possibility. The paint will help seal this off.
Old 02/15/2007, 01:00 PM
Premium Member

Pictures?
Old 02/15/2007, 01:27 PM
Be the valve.

Sadly, it still looks like the shots on page 2. Just working on different sides. Hope to have the epoxy done by end of the month.
Old 02/16/2007, 07:10 PM
Premium Member

You better get moving.... I am following this thread.

I got to see it in person, and have to say I am impressed. If I ever have to build a wood tank I know who I am calling for advice.

Next time I am in the denver area I want to see it full !!

sanjay.
Old 02/16/2007, 09:28 PM
unorthodox reefer

Quote:
Originally posted by rppvt
Pictures?
Yes please!
Old 02/16/2007, 11:28 PM
Registered Member

Very cool project, thanks for posting it. Regarding this:

Quote:
dsandfort
Since the glass seal will be compression only, I thought regular silicone would be fine.
I once took apart a wooden tank I made in which I had used plain ol' GE Silicone II for the glass to wood seal. When removing the glass, the fiberglass/epoxy came off the wood rather than the glass-silicone seal breaking. I would have *NO* qualms about using it again.

Fabricate on!
Old 02/19/2007, 08:27 PM
Be the valve.

While waiting for epoxy to dry and time to devote a day to applying 3 coats without sanding between, I've got a wee bit done on the fish room. It's about 16' square with plumbing and floor drain roughed in. I had to move all the contents from my old tank so I set up a temp. facility. Because of this, I'll have to finish the room in halves. First, finish around the new tank then get in place. Next I'll move the temp. tank contents and break it down to finish the other half of the room. I have 6 dedicated circuits in the room and ventilation sort of installed.

This is the temp tank and back side of the room. You can see the sub-panel in the background.

The back side of the view wall is kind of in storage right now.

I've got the ceiling over the tank framed in. I'm going to put a light trolly system in so I can slide all the lights way off the tank for access. I will also put electrical up there so all the ballasts will ride on the trolly.

If you have any suggestions or see fatal flaws, let em fly. I only want to do this once.

Thanks

Del
Old 02/19/2007, 09:12 PM
Premium Member

Yeah, you've like drywalled over the viewing area, dude...
Do you have running water and drainage?
Looks good. Keep 'em coming!
Old 02/20/2007, 11:28 AM
Be the valve.

Yes, I did consider the drywall and decided it will make maintenance much easier the way I did it. Who needs low-iron when you've got drywall?
Old 02/21/2007, 10:12 PM
CT Area Reef Society

tagging along for one sweet build.
Old 02/22/2007, 08:02 AM
Moved On

lovely thread

I'm loving all the info and the interesting materials used, I have one question, not sure if it's been asked, but what about cost. I've been shoping around for a 4X4X4 cube tank, now this type of tank doesnt lend itself to a wood construction or perhaps it does but my quesion is, what is the cost ratio between buying a glass or acrylic aqaurium of similar size compared to this wooden beast? how long have you been doing carpentry work? Is this your field or hobby? How much knowledge would one have to have in order to try this type of build, I see you have tons of long clamps and a large working facility, routers, etc... I have a lot of tools, limited space but was considering a wooden build, even though I have never attempted anything like this before... Do you have any suggestions? Btw thanks for sharing this interesting project!

sincerely
David
Old 02/22/2007, 06:02 PM
Be the valve.

Hi David-
I'm just a guy who likes to make little wood pieces out of big ones. Honestly, I've done woodwork all my life and have built furniture, cabinetry, wooden boats, etc. I'm the science geek who really wanted to take wood shop.
Having certain tools would be a must for this build. Router, Table saw (or circular saw with good straight edge), and drill would be bare minimum. I used my compound miter saw a bunch but you could do without. If you already have and use these and still have all your fingers, you probably have the skills.
Regarding cost. I will have less than $2k in the tank when done (excluding my time of course). I don't think you can get a 540 custom for anywhere close to that.
Finally, I look at it kind of like tying flies. It's pretty cool to land a large trout on a fly you tied. It will be cool to see my animals in a tank I built.

Del
Old 02/23/2007, 12:45 AM
Registered Member

Sweet build and great information! I too am In the process of planning out a wood tank and this thread had been very helpful. I may have many questions for you in the near future and I hope you are willing to help me out on this project
Old 02/23/2007, 12:58 AM
Brighter the better

i have ben planing the same thing and now getting pumps and stuff to run it i hope to start in fall.
Old 02/23/2007, 01:17 AM
Registered Member

I hope I can do everything right! I should be starting this hopefully in a few weeks. Building this for some sharks so hopefully all goes well.
Old 02/23/2007, 01:36 AM
Premium Member

Viet-tin--Another guy here built a large shark tank in his basement out of wood. Look for that thread, it's helpful and inspiring as well.
Old 02/23/2007, 01:45 AM
Registered Member

I think I remember seeing that one. Ill have to keep looking for it. Thanks
Old 02/28/2007, 08:17 PM
Registered Member

Cant seem to find that thread anywhere...Is there a website about building wood tanks? I really need to learn all I can about building a tank to assure that it doesnt bust all over.
Old 02/28/2007, 08:18 PM
Registered Member

Cant seem to find that thread anywhere...Is there a website about building wood tanks? I really need to learn all I can about building a tank to assure that it doesnt bust all over.
Old 02/28/2007, 08:46 PM
Brighter the better

i think this is the one your looking for

he even took a little swimm in it(befor shark)
BIG shark tank
Old 02/28/2007, 08:49 PM
Registered Member

Thanks!
Old 02/28/2007, 08:57 PM
Premium Member

YEP, that's the one. Customcolor beat me to it! Good job. It's a sweet tank. And an nicely detailed thread.
Old 02/28/2007, 09:19 PM
Registered Member

Oh boy! This is gonna cost a grip! I just hope I dont run into too many problems building this. Sorry for hi-jacking your thread dsandfort
Old 02/28/2007, 09:30 PM
Gun runner

I can attest to Dels woodworking abilities. If he ever wants to give up teaching, a woodworking career is there. Fantastic work, not only on the tank.