Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/05/2005, 12:00 AM
Registered Member

copper band fish

thinking about a copper band. got 120 reef tank .tangs clowns belleny fire fish chromies.what have herd about copper bands?
Old 01/05/2005, 12:11 AM
Registered Member

i need a translator here guys
Old 01/05/2005, 12:14 AM
CraZbout SPS

I've got one in my tank for about 2 months now. Eats like a pig and helps maintain my rocks free of unwanted living creatures. I love it and it's one of the most beautiful thing I've ever seen. Grazes on the rocks 24/7 for food!!!
Old 01/05/2005, 12:16 AM
Registered Member

ditto monkeyreefer
Old 01/05/2005, 06:28 PM
Registered Member

i know these guys will eat unwanted Aiptasia and little creatures...which is good...and they are quite beautiful....but dont they have a taste for shrimp? i personally would like one in a reef tank too, but will they eat up all your cleaners and such?
Old 01/05/2005, 06:35 PM
CraZbout SPS

I have 3 peppermint shrimps in my tank and non of them are being bothered by the copperband
Old 01/05/2005, 07:06 PM
Registered Member

my copperband is great! I have had trouble as have other people getting him to eat prepared foods though. He just grazes on my rock. Anyone who has a cooperband who eats, How did you get him to eat and what does he eat?
Old 01/05/2005, 07:31 PM
Registered Member

Ulmo21, my coperband greedily eats scallops. I bought some scallops from the seafood dept. ($1 goes a long way) and cut them into small pieces about the size of brine shrimp. Freeze the rest just like frozen fish food. Mine also eats frozen brine and mysis shrimp.
Old 01/05/2005, 08:20 PM
Art and science

will they eat wanted anemones
Old 01/05/2005, 09:28 PM
Registered Member

My copperband has never touched any shrimp in my tank.Never touches wanted anemones either.He is very peaceful with all fish and corals also.Great fish.As i said in the other thread I have had him now 8 years 3 month.He is my pride and joy.
Old 01/06/2005, 01:40 AM
Premium Member

Copperbands are notoriuosly finicky eaters.

Mine has decimated any aptasia issues and agree with everyone else that it just sits all day and hunts the live rock. I feed PE Mysis and it acts like it has never eaten and is starving to death when I feed.

It has never bother the shrimp and actually I will see them together from time to time.

Great fish as long as you have a mature tank teeming with little critters and have some frozen food as others have suggested.

Kip
Old 01/06/2005, 01:37 PM
Premium Member

He's great on aiptasia, but will pick at rocks. That means certain polyps and such will die off because they won't extend. Some also pick at acros, so keep that in mind. Otherwise they are very peaceful and beautiful.
Old 01/09/2005, 03:09 AM
Registered Member

Sorry tried to get a pic with this post so had to edit.
Old 01/09/2005, 03:19 AM
Registered Member

What about clams? I have heard the are known for nipping at clam mantles. i am looking at getting one as soon as I finish upgrading to my larger reef tank.
Old 01/09/2005, 10:28 AM
Registered Member

I had one and I never saw him nipping my clam.......but he loves to nip my brain coral

I think in the long term copperband is not a good choice for reef aquariuns, because he eat all micro life in the reef and after he can dead for lack of food....

Regards

Roberto
Old 01/09/2005, 05:55 PM
Got Salt!

would adding a copperband to a estabolished 75 sps reef spell trouble since I have estabolished tangs in there now for a year and a half...
Old 01/09/2005, 10:18 PM
Registered Member

Dont be frightend off, my experience is as follows.
Added copperband two years after yellow tang, no problems, they chase each other on ocations but that is all. he has never touched my clams, corals or other fish. But he eats well,as i said previously.Having said that there are always exeption. This fish is worth a try as I think there are just beautiful.
Old 01/09/2005, 10:23 PM
Got Salt!

not worried about the clams since im plumbing a clam tank into the system, mostly for much needed added real estate and the slanted glass to see the way cool colors...would like to add another fish to the system as of now its either going to be a juve emperior angle, juvie regal angel, or a copper band...