Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Lounge
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/02/2008, 01:13 PM
WTMRAC's Daddy

Tank will not cycle

I have a 55 gallon freshwater tank with 1 inch of gravel, a Penguin BioWheel filter, and a Marineland C-160 canister filter, and it will not cycle. I have 2.5 ppm Ammonium at a pH of 6.8. Nitrites are at 0 ppm, and 0 ppm nitrates. I have added freshwater BioSpira and Stability. There are 5 tetras in the tank. I have also tested with different test kits to see if my test kit had gone bad. All test kits show the same result. What could be causing the bacteria to not colonize in the tank? Or if they are, why am I not seeing the cycle take place?

I realize this is a reef site and I have been keeping aquaria for a long time. I have never had this problem before. Am I missing something? This does not make sense to me.

P.S. - this tank has been up in this condition for 3 weeks.
Old 01/02/2008, 04:35 PM
Registered Member

which bio wheel do you have? If you have the 400 than I would say you have enough filtration but if not than I would say you don't.

I would probably also add some more gravel. You have any friends with freshwater tanks? Maybe a little gravel from an established tank will help. I think about a depth of nearly 2 inches would be helpful.

How is your water source? did you test it for ammonia? Are you using a dechlroinator?
Old 01/02/2008, 05:34 PM
RC Mod

Moved to the lounge. I don't know how many people are familiar with freshwater systems, but this might be a better place for some answers.
Old 01/02/2008, 06:35 PM
reef girl

give it time, they dont always cycle in 3 weeks, could take 6 weeks, the only confussing part is the fact you did use biospira, it doesnt really cycle your tank right away for you, just speeds up the process

This hobby isn't just for the boys..

Its all fun and games until someone gets salt water in their eyes!
Old 01/02/2008, 07:59 PM
WTMRAC's Daddy

I use RO/DI water. The filter is a BioWheel 400...and a C-160 canister filter. I don't see why I would need deeper gravel. I run several other freshwater tanks with the same or less gravel, and they did not have this problem.

My question is:
Is there anything that could inhibit the growth of bacteria? By now I should see some nitrites...especially with the addition of the BioSpira.
Old 01/02/2008, 08:07 PM
reef girl

some antibacterial medications you use on our fish for infection could inhibit the growth, however I dont think thats an issues, doesnt sounds like you have any fish in the tank

This hobby isn't just for the boys..

Its all fun and games until someone gets salt water in their eyes!
Old 01/02/2008, 08:12 PM
Dismembered

6 Weeks bro.
Old 01/03/2008, 09:24 AM
WTMRAC's Daddy

In the first post I said there are 5 tetras in the tank.

What about 6 weeks? There is no set time for a cycle to complete. I would just expect to see some nitrites by now. With only the presence of ammonia and no other forms of nitrogen, it seems that bacteria are not starting to grow in the tank.
Old 01/03/2008, 09:32 AM
Just say no to DSB

Quote:
Originally posted by Rendos
I use RO/DI water. The filter is a BioWheel 400...and a C-160 canister filter. I don't see why I would need deeper gravel. I run several other freshwater tanks with the same or less gravel, and they did not have this problem.

My question is:
Is there anything that could inhibit the growth of bacteria? By now I should see some nitrites...especially with the addition of the BioSpira.
Do you have your own RO/DI or are you buying it? I would question the quality of the water you are adding. Are you running fresh carbon? You may have chlorine in the water.
Not sure where the ammonia could be coming from, but it would help to get some gravel or a used filter from a friend. Maybe you can go to your LFS and get some from them to jumpstart.
Also, what temp are you running, under 70 will be much slower. 4 weeks is also an average, it can happen as fast as 2 and up to 6 weeks.

"There is never enough time to do all the nothing you want" - Calvin

Last edited by laxing22; 01/03/2008 at 09:38 AM.
Old 01/03/2008, 11:55 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rendos

My question is:
I have found deeper gravel to be better for keeping the water more stable. I think becuase it will give you more room for beneficial bacteria so that when you work on the tank or clean it you will not disturb the nitrogen cycle as much. You would definately need more gravel if you intend to keep live plants but if you really don't have to otherwise.

Yes, if there is chlorine in the water it would definately inhibit the growth of beneficial bacteria you are trying to grow. If you are getting your RO from some source other than an aquarium shop or something I would definately check for chlorine because they may be using it to keep it clean for people to drink.
Old 01/03/2008, 12:07 PM
10 & Over Club

At 3 weeks, it's early yet. I've not found any of those off the shelf "instant cycle" products to be worthwile. You'll be needing a total of 6 to 8 weeks before expecting the tank to be cycled. Before then, just feed the fish very sparingly and sit back and wait

BTW, not sure what's in the "Stability", but if it has any sort of ammonia detoxifier it could be tricking your test kits.

"LOL, well I have no brain apparently. " - dc (Debi)
Old 01/03/2008, 12:11 PM
Registered Member

I thought that chlorine evaporates, so if you leave the water open for a day or so, won't the chlorine evaporate out?
Old 01/03/2008, 12:24 PM
10 & Over Club

Quote:
Originally posted by spoiledcats
I thought that chlorine evaporates, so if you leave the water open for a day or so, won't the chlorine evaporate out?
Provided that it is simple chlorine, yes. However, if your tap is treated with chloramine, that won't work and will require a dechlorinator.

"LOL, well I have no brain apparently. " - dc (Debi)
Old 01/03/2008, 10:43 PM
WTMRAC's Daddy

I stated that it is RO water. I make it myself. TDS of 0. I also run a GAC filter before my RO unit to remove chloramine. Believe me - no clorine is in the water. I run the tank at 78F.

As I said I run several other fresh and salt water tanks and have since 1977. I have never run into this before. At 3 weeks I would expect to see some traces of nitrites by now...but they are zero.

billsreef - I agree with you on most products that claim instant cycle, but maybe you have never used BioSpira. It is the only product on the market that delivers. I am not even using it as an instant cycle, but as a kick start to the cycle.

Well...thanks for all the input. I am going to continue monitoring the water over the next couple of weeks, and see what happens.