Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes

Old 11/03/2007, 11:26 PM
Registered Member

Location: East of the Mississippi, north of the mason dixon line
I have mine for just short of four years. Feeds on nothing but copepods. All hatching naturally. Never added supplemental pods.

swimmer
Old 11/04/2007, 01:35 AM
Registered Member

i have a target and a green mandarin and i will add pods every so often because i also have fairy wrasses
Old 11/04/2007, 08:22 AM
Premium Member

my mandarin is in with fairy wrasses and i only sedded pods once as you can see in my pics he is nice and fat had him for almost a year now...he was looking a little rough at first but is doing fine now..mine will eat frozen but i do not use that as his only food..i have tons of pods in the main and fuge..so i am not too worried about the mandarin..i was going to add a female..but decided against that and just keep the one i got
Old 11/04/2007, 07:47 PM
Premium Member

I am not sure you can add a female and have it be accepted. I suspect you have to add both concurrently. But I have not tried it so I cannot say for sure.

~Steve~
Old 11/04/2007, 07:54 PM
Premium Member

that is what i was worried about..was if they would fight or not..so i am going to just keep the male..but i am very happy with the one i got
Old 12/05/2007, 04:53 PM
Premium Member

my mandarin over the past few months has really got nice and fat i have tried to get a good pic of his fat belly got this pretty good one today..time for a diet!!!! but it seems that he is doing good and i see him eating all the time and is even hunting for them when the lights go out..plus i saw him snag this nasty snail eating flatworm a few weeks ago..i been trying to catch that thing for a few months now
Old 12/05/2007, 05:35 PM
Premium Member

It is rumored that they eat flatworms. Is this a fact? I have not seen mine eat them but I don't see any flatworms either.

~Steve~
Old 12/05/2007, 05:44 PM
Lazy reefer

wasseguy2,
What you got is a female full of eggs. Consider add a male and you may see them spawn every 7-14 days.
Old 12/05/2007, 06:56 PM
Premium Member

well i am not too sure that it is a female....it has an elongated dorsal fin i will try to get a pic of that to show...and to answer you steve yes i saw him eat that huge snail eating flatworm..that thing killed quite a few snails of mine and i tried to get him out but he was too fast and then i lost him..but not to long ago i saw my mandarin eat him and i was so glad..hope i don't have a other one but man it was big

Last edited by wrasseguy2; 12/05/2007 at 07:06 PM.
Old 12/05/2007, 07:05 PM
Premium Member

i could be wrong but i thought this was a male..i know that in the target mandarins the elongated dorsal fin is not near that of the other mandarin..and from pics that i have seen of females there was not any on the dorsal it was just almost flat...not saying i ma right maybe if Snorvich can chime in on this..i would like to know if it is a female or male..but i do not want to get another one had a hard enough time trying to keep this one..here is a pic that shows the dorsal fin
Old 12/05/2007, 07:48 PM
Premium Member

Looks like a female to me.
Old 12/05/2007, 09:37 PM
Lazy reefer

My female Green Mandarin look just like that with a slightly longer spike. When she was full of eggs, she look just like your's but even bigger stomach, like it is about to bust.
Old 12/05/2007, 11:33 PM
Premium Member

well then maybe i do have a female..anyways it does look like it is going to pop
Old 01/06/2008, 05:51 PM
Premium Member

i got this really sweet pic of my mandarin today..still looking good and is always eating
Old 01/07/2008, 03:18 AM
Registered Member

that is a female. i just lost my green mandy to my female target mandy. she is aggressive for a mandarin. dont add a male as it will be punked. also all mandarins will not eat flatworms some will some wont. you just get lucky.
Old 01/12/2008, 12:00 AM
Premium Member

couple new pics of my mandrin..such a coll fish to sit back and watch