Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/27/2005, 01:52 PM
Registered Member

fuge went down - need advise.

well, I had a cpr hangon aquafuge on me tank. last night I noticed the pump stopped working (rio). I suspect it may have been like that for a day, maybe two. with the pump not working some of the water had syphoned back into the tank, but nothing in the fuge was exposed to air. I pulled the pump off and cleaned it out in the sink. after a cleaning it worked again in the sink. then I pulled the fuge off the back of the tank. there was a film on the surface water in the fuge, and slight smell. I tested the main tank for ammonia. ammonia was between 0 and .25 on color scale. I would say maybe .1. did a water change and used some amquel+. main tank is ok, will check again tonight. as far as the fuge should I just dump everything? there is a few inch miracle mud substrate and live rock rubble. lots of life in there as its been running 1+ year. right now the fuge is sitting on my floor. how should I go about getting the fuge running again? My guess would be that I can recure the rock rubble in a separate tank, but dump the rest?
Old 12/27/2005, 02:13 PM
Registered Member

If its only been down for a couple of days, you dont need to recure the rock. If it is still moist, put it in your tank until you are ready to set it up again. The sand will probably be ok too. Im sure there is die off but it will rebound. I would just be careful if your tank is small. If you tank is less than 50 gallons, the bioload from the die-off might be too much for your tank to support without it affecting the chemical makeup of the tank. If its bigger, your tank should be able to handle it.

Also if you search the forum there is a great string regarding people who have had rio pump melt down their tanks. The pump might be fine now and it probably just needed a cleaning, but be warned. I had a smaller 45g tank that had a CPR BackPack protein skimmer and the RIO pump had a melt down and Nuc'd my tank in an hour with nothing surviving. I would swich out the pump while you have it off line.
Old 12/27/2005, 02:54 PM
Now give me a dollar!

I agree on both points.

Carl
Old 12/27/2005, 03:41 PM
Registered Member

I should have mentioned that the main tank is a 20 long. Should I just get something like a 10 gallon, fill it with new makeup water and run it on there for some time?

Will change out the pump too, I've read some of the stories about them, and dont want to chance a total wipe out. thanks.
Old 12/27/2005, 04:26 PM
Registered Member

If its 20g I would just throw the LR in the tank. Sounds like the fuge has been down for a couple of days? So, if the mud is cold and just sitting araound, I would just get rid of it. Technically you dony really need it in there as long as you have enough in the main tank (if there is any in your main tank). If you want more just pick some LS at your LFS, it shouldnt cost that much. Also, while you are there, you might want to pick up some chaeto to add to the fuge. It helps take away excess nutrients and it is a great hiding spot for copepods. -GL
Old 12/27/2005, 04:52 PM
Registered Member

Yes, the fuge has been down possibly two days, while on the tank with no circulation. Last night when I noticed it, I just pulled it off the tank, and its been sitting off the tank since midnite (~17hours now). so ~17hours + 1-2 days.

The main tank has a 2-3 inch sand bed.