Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Orlando Reef Caretakers Association (ORCA)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/28/2007, 11:52 PM
Registered Member

local LFS online again

looks like Worldwidecorals has their site up and running again.

www.worldwidecorals.com

Gonna drive out there next weekend and pick up a few things myself.
Old 11/29/2007, 12:04 AM
:)

wow - they do have some awesome stuff.
Old 11/29/2007, 01:09 AM
Geek

Very pretty eye candy yet seems slightly expensive compared to other online places.
Old 11/29/2007, 01:10 AM
On The M0VE

I may have to take a look myself... Thanks for the update Russell.
Old 11/29/2007, 08:20 AM
Registered Member

I wish they had more stuff uploaded on the site....I suppose it will come in time. It looks like some of the stuff is a bit pricey, but there is some real nice stuff at a decent price. I hope more stores get websites fired up so I can see local inventories.

~D
Old 11/29/2007, 08:52 AM
:)

i thought they had some cheap prices as well.
Old 11/29/2007, 09:19 AM
Registered Member

I was just in the store yesterday and they have a ton of corals. I have to say I think their prices are below the average and their service is second to none.
Old 11/29/2007, 03:45 PM
Registered Member

I have been in there store a couple of times and if you by more than one piece they will play with the prices for you. Very nice guys.
Old 11/29/2007, 04:06 PM
Premium Member

I concur
Old 11/29/2007, 04:41 PM
Geek

I have been there too. Nice guys, was a little nervous about how small some of their frag sizes were.

For those of you who bought corals from them in the 1-polyp size did they live? I have friends who have bought frags (usually of zoas) of the super duper expensive polyps out there like you would find on the er "high end exotic stores" and they had a high mortality rate.
Old 11/29/2007, 07:01 PM
Registered Member

I haven't bought any single polyp frags from them, but I have bought several 2-3 polyp higher end stuff and all but one have made it, and I don't blame them for the one that died. It could have been a number of things. I guess when you buy the smaller frags, it can raise the mortality rate.
Old 11/29/2007, 07:14 PM
On The M0VE

Chrisstie, I purchased lots of 1 ployp frags from all over the U.S and never had an issue. Most online vendors sell zoas by the polyps. I guess its just how well your maintenance and system is doing. But IMO I would never hesitate to buy a one polyp frag especially with the prices some zoas go for.
Old 11/29/2007, 09:13 PM
Geek

For me I guess it depends on the species.

If you talk paly versus zoanthid and my own personal experience in fragging - well heck there are some of both that almost want to peel up from where you are fragging them and others that don't want to let go and are quite a buggar to slice off.

I'm happy to hear your polyps do so well. I've always just been nervous doing the single polyp thing, though I hear growth is usually tremendous for the first few polyps to come out.
Old 11/29/2007, 09:50 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by chrisstie
I've always just been nervous doing the single polyp thing, though I hear growth is usually tremendous for the first few polyps to come out.
I will have to say this. I bought 2 polyps of rainbow palys and in no time I was up to 10. Not so much with my PPE's, I've seen 1 polyp in a year...Yeah I'm serious, lol. I also bought a 3 polyp of alien eye zoanthids a few months back, and now easily have over 20.
You have to admit, when single polyps are hitting 40-50 pucks a pop, it's hard to afford one let alone a colony.
Old 11/29/2007, 10:19 PM
On The M0VE

DJChesnutRabbit, the price is usually what keeps me buying single polyps.
Chrisstie, I am refering to mainly every frag, acans, zoas, palys that I have purchased single polyps/heads. Now like DJChesnut, my PPE's grow real slo but I only purchase one head and its doing great.
Old 11/29/2007, 10:46 PM
Registered Member

Yea Don, I've seen some of your pics here on RC and would love to visit your tank some time and compare notes. I've actually thought about buying or trading for another PPE polyp to see if it's just the particular ones I have. It is the only paly/zoa I've ever had a problem getting to reproduce, and the sad thing is I'm not looking to profit from them, I'd just like to own a small colony.
Old 11/30/2007, 12:45 AM
Registered Member

All the small frags I have bought from them have lived and grown very well (all meaning every one). The chalices particularly, sprung up a third color out of nowhere after a bit of growth.
Being in Lakeland, I listed the link because I simply can't be there every week (or FAOIS in Tampa) and it's good to know what they have gotten in. If you have had problems you may want to check acclimation methodology and see if that's your cuplrit.

I'm fairly glad to see a local lfs put up a website this good because it gives me an alternative to Atlantis and some of the other impressive nationwide retailers.

I generally find their prices, customer service and livestock to be above average and I love to go there. I love it better when I can do it from this chair instead of driving for an hour. Gas prices suck right now.
Old 11/30/2007, 01:02 AM
Geek

Thanks for the tips zukihara I'm glad you found an LFS that works for you.

For me they are a bit further of a drive than my place of employment or other stores I also visit so I've only been there once. Maybe it was because they were first setting up shop when I went but it seemed like a bit of a chop shop but their pictures and stuff look okay online now.

To each their own I suppose
Old 12/01/2007, 07:46 PM
Registered Member

Took the girlfriend for a swing by Worldwide today and bought a good many items. A few zoas mostly but I also scooped up a red monti cap with pink polyps that is really amazing.

I was talking with the girlfriend on the long ride home about coloration and she pointed out to me that WWC is the only store we've gone to where the corals color up even better than what the perfect conditions in some stores display. She's been to FAOIS in Tampa (my favorite store) with me and we've always strived to achieve the colors John does there so it's nice to take some beauties home and have them look even better after a few weeks at home.

I bought a single polyp of nuclear green (my first) so I'll let you know how it does.

Chrisstie...surely you aren't an employee of a competing LFS posting on my thread are you? If so, let me know which one..I'll stop by.
Old 12/03/2007, 06:55 PM
Registered Member

I've never lost a frag from them.....even single polyp frags....though I try to buy the bigger pieces. Also, about the pricing......I think you'll find that the prices in the store are much cheaper than online. The owners told me that their online prices are going to be much more than what they will charge the locals.

Not to mention the fact that you can buy the stuff that other stores either have "wait lists" for, or are the owner's personal collection.

Plus...the store is like some huge DIY project coming to life before my eyes.
Old 12/03/2007, 09:34 PM
Premium Member

I was just in WWC again today, had yet another wonderful experience, great pricing and the most importantly the best customer service around in Orlando IMO.
Old 12/04/2007, 10:49 PM
Registered Member

My fiance and I have gone to every store in Central Florida looking for rare corals and frogfish. We have come across the same problems as everyone else, horrible service, and very poor selection. When we walked into WWC for the first time we were mesmerized by the unbelievable selections. We have since been there at least a dozen times within the last month coming home with corals that we used to dream about online. The prices are unbeatable, and the service is second to none. When Victor and Lou found out that we were frogfish fanatics, they found us five of our 9 frogfish at prices that we didn't know existed. Not to mention they don't even sell fish. Our Aussie acans are so healthy and beautiful. Our zoo's and mushrooms are incredible. Our collection would have costs us three times more any where else. We feel compelled to tell everyone in the reef community about WWC being the best coral store in Florida. You owe it to yourself to go visit because your collection of coral will never be the same again.

yours truly,

Hooman and Cristina