Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Invert and Plant Forums > Mantis Shrimp
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/14/2005, 09:30 PM
Registered Member

get one of them rose crabs....they are huge....now that would be a good fight
Old 11/14/2005, 09:34 PM
Not that way, minions!!

If my strawberry hermit crab eats another mangrove he's going to be Tim's new playmate.
Old 11/15/2005, 08:32 AM
Keeper(?) of Tim

Tim replies:

"Mmmmmmmmm... Strawberry..."

Zoanthid collector, Monitpoa sp. afficianado, Yuma snob and fan of the Mantis family.
Old 11/15/2005, 10:50 AM
Premium Member

DM, I am months behind in reading, just caught up on the last few pages. You MUST share Tim in the Hollywood spotlight of the Home Reef Video thread!! It's a sticky under Reef Discussions. He would be a smash hit!!!! PLEEEEEEEZZE!?!?!!?

I caught finally, thank heavan, a 3" crab, stone or whatever, don't know, out of the 210 this weekend. Took months to nail his fanny using every trick in the book. He decimated the LR in there. I'd send him to Tim, since the other didn't make it, but, I'm curious to see how much bigger he may get. Oh the peace of mind, I can view my 210 without anxiety attacks anymore.

Anyways..video video video!! Check with Tim!!
Old 11/15/2005, 01:06 PM
Keeper(?) of Tim

He seems receptive to the idea and asked for an agent.

I'm not so certain this will be a good idea for his already inflated ego...

Zoanthid collector, Monitpoa sp. afficianado, Yuma snob and fan of the Mantis family.
Old 11/15/2005, 03:27 PM
Premium Member

We need some national leaders with heart!!! His ego and following are a great mix...go for it!
Old 11/16/2005, 12:48 PM
Keeper(?) of Tim

So I've got a little confession to make. The post made yesterday attributed to Tim was actually me speaking for him. I know, you're all shocked and reviled that I would pull such a stunt, but it really was in everyone's best interests.

You see, I went out into the woods for the weekend on Thursday night and didn't return until late Sunday. Monday came around and I was out well past light's out in Tim's tank again. Near as I can tell, sometime last Thursday or thereafter the ninja crabs made a devious, probably suicidal, attack against Tim. They unplugged his tank.

When I realized this Tuesday morning it was only due to a combination of factors: I was running late so it was light in the tank room, the lack of sound was finally noticed and then there was the smell... After beating the filter and trying to force the lights on I realized the whole system had been unplugged. I smashed the power cord into the wall socket and could taste fear. I just knew there was no way he could have survived this...

The whole tank was dead. Plants dead. Millions of bugs dead. Worms dead. Polyps and anemones dead. The temp was 68. No way Tim survived...

He did though. He is invincible.

This morning the little bugger surprised me by walking straight out to the glass (still wearing a sweater and 8 pairs of little mittens). All I could understand from his shivering voice was "WTH, man?!?" I'm certain he was flipping me off as well, but the mittens prevented me from noticing.

He's not out of the woods yet (and has a nasty cough), but we're working to repair the damage done to his little ecosystem.

So anyway, I was just trying to protect all of you from feeling the terror I felt. Forgive me?

(This always happens in the cold months... WTH?)

Old 11/16/2005, 12:53 PM
Registered Member

the important thing is that Tim is ok...

We forgive you...but you must make it up to us by providing more updates and pics..
36in UV Light
Ozone generator
Old 11/16/2005, 07:25 PM
Registered Member

you had to do the extra spaces so i would see if he was alive im glad be is alright! tim will live on!!!
Registered Member

you had to do the extra spaces so i would see if he was alive im glad be is alright! tim will live on!!!
Registered Member

Old 11/16/2005, 07:26 PM
Registered Member

atleast he is ok... you had to put the extra spaces in so i would have to scroll down more
Old 11/17/2005, 04:12 AM
Registered Member

Can we get a photo posted of Tim in his mittens? Or is he too macho to allow this invasion into his cutesy side? I think I've got a crush, but I can only tolerate a mantis who's in touch with his inner naupli.
Old 11/21/2005, 06:40 PM
Registered Member

Dear Tim:

Stopping by to say happy second birthday, and hoping you are doing well. Hopefully you can kick that little cold youve caught there.

I am looking forward to reading more of your trials and tribulations.
Old 11/22/2005, 03:23 AM
S Oregon Reefkeepers Club

How's Tim fairing? update?
Old 12/05/2005, 08:04 AM
Registered Member

Leaving us hanging with a topic like you last posted since mid Nov is scary. For those of us who have followed Tim all the way, PLEASE let us know how he is doing......

Please???

Seahorse Enthusiast
Old 12/05/2005, 01:15 PM
S Oregon Reefkeepers Club

Quote:
Originally posted by DensityMan

He's not out of the woods yet (and has a nasty cough), but we're working to repair the damage done to his little ecosystem.

So anyway, I was just trying to protect all of you from feeling the terror I felt. Forgive me?

(This always happens in the cold months... WTH?)
It's been going on three weeks since the mishap, should we be giving a toast or wearing black?
Old 12/05/2005, 02:42 PM
Registered Member

Glad to hear that Tim survived.
My little Lo Pan (N. wennerae) wasn't so lucky when my father accidently unplugged his filter. Me not noticing combined with a heavy feeding schedule for a sun coral in the tank lead to his untimelt demise...

Get well soon,Tim! Eat lot's of soup...er, snails!

-Ron and the Stomatopod Collective
(Baron Munchausen, Dagon, Hydra, Freya,
Athena, Glaurung, Typhon & Baba-Yaga...)
Old 12/05/2005, 03:35 PM
Moved out

Wow if Tim died that would be right up there in significance with Mr. Miyagi!!!

I cried tears of sorrow for a week thinking of all the little "grass hoppers" that could have been..
Old 12/05/2005, 10:39 PM
Registered Member

that up set me to. he wasnt that old either!
Old 12/09/2005, 07:04 PM
Registered Member

that was hilarious.
Old 12/14/2005, 10:10 AM
Premium Member

Should we be singing Silent Night or Deck the Halls?

Is Tim OK? This flu season has been tough, he hasn't had any asian poultry has he?

Please send word to his meat bags
Old 12/14/2005, 12:26 PM
Keeper(?) of Tim

Hey all.

Sorry to have kept you hanging, the holiday season has been beating the Hell out of both of us and he seems to be molting a new skin to better whether the 'worst' of it.

I've been taking shots and not leaving time to edit them properly. He's told me stories I haven't related to you all (his meat bags). I'm even preparing Tim his Christmas wish (from last year) - a new home. This month I've been preparing the 75g display for tear-down. In it's place will be a smaller, easier, tidier 20L. This 20 gallon will be Tim's new kingdom and refuge to any corals I really like from the 75.

So hangtight and sleep well, the supermantis is simply dreaming of peppermint snails and shrimp.

Old 12/14/2005, 12:42 PM
Registered Member

Let Tim know that his meat bags are all very happy to hear that his reign continues! :-)
Old 12/15/2005, 01:51 AM
Premium Member

Tim, would you like a delicious stocking stuffer? I have Scrouge, who has heard tales of you..he is the mighty wretched gorilla crab (I think), and I no longer have the proper place to house him. He is, oh, 3-4"'s diameter. Dark purple, scooper, not pincher claws. He is actually sweet (no, I take that back, he destroyed ALL LR in the 210). But, if you need a tank buddy to mud westle with, he can probably be shipped fairly easily. You and DensityMan discuss it and let me know. I have video posted if you want to see him/her first to wet your appetite.