Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05/12/2007, 05:54 PM
Premium Member

Jellyfish system

So I've been thinking about doing a Jellyfish system, they seem pretty cool and I'm hoping I have enough experience to give it a run. Any thoughts, any experience? cost?
Old 05/12/2007, 06:07 PM
Registered Member

Unless you go with upside down jellies...it's going to cost you a bit if you go with something that is manufactured. Basically, you can go with tumblers or kreisels. I have a really nice ephyra/growout kreisel made by jelliquariums. (My adult display is a tumbler...and it works well.) I'm completely pleased with it...but they are really expensive.

You can make your own tumbler or kreisel...but it will take some experimentation. Flow dynamics are absolutely critical. And get used to hatching nauplii on a daily basis. It'll only take you about 15 minutes...and in my opinion it's worth it. You can substitute cyclopeeze at times...but prolonged use causes problems.

Check out www.jellieszone.com for some basic info. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me. I've got about 3 yrs experience with moons. About 1 yr with culturing. I'm guessing that's what you'll be going with.
Old 05/12/2007, 07:50 PM
Premium Member

thanks for the info, will look into it some more and PM with questions. Do you have pics?
Old 05/12/2007, 07:51 PM
Registered Member

No..I can get some soon though.
Old 05/12/2007, 10:10 PM
Registered Member

You could try to make your own kreisel for cheaper but it's going to take a lot of work to get the flows right. Getting one that is specifically made for jellies would be the way to go I think, but they are pricey.

Conky- your PM box is full

Christine
Old 05/13/2007, 02:59 PM
Registered Member

If you want really nice kriesels and don't mind spending envision acryllics is real good.
Old 05/13/2007, 10:17 PM
10 & Over Club
Coral Biographer

There is this place. The systems seem pricey but you can get some good ideas and info. Maybe there not expensive though because I know very little about these.

http://www.jelliquarium.com/

Dave
Old 05/14/2007, 08:45 AM
Registered Member

Re: Jellyfish system

Quote:
Originally posted by smy168
So I've been thinking about doing a Jellyfish system, they seem pretty cool and I'm hoping I have enough experience to give it a run. Any thoughts, any experience? cost?
The experience is part of it, the time you have to put into it is more IMO.
Be prepared to spend an average of an hour per day on the system. Between (the recommended) 2 feedings a day, setting up 2 nauplii cultures & gutloading the nauplii with Selco/Super Selco or other HUFA supplement. IMO the nauplii should be about 18 hrs old, still have some egg yolk attached but haven't yet developed the exoskeleton so they are nutritious and degestable by the jellies. I agree with Conky about the Cyclop-eeze, it's an "okay" occasional supplement but not good for a steady diet.
Animals can be hard to come by in certain parts of the season so try to get a steady supplier in case of mortalities. IME public aquariums will get first dibs on animals, the rest of us usually get leftovers.
As for cost, a small (4'L x 4'H) kreisel system can be set up for about $10k and a larger (10'L x 6'H) system can be set up for about $50k, and there are many sizes in beween, after that though - your talking 6 digits for the tank alone. Mostly one time costs; tank, chiller(s), pumps, sumps, filters, etc. Other than food and electricity (& your time), there are no real recurring costs such as lighting. For display purposes, a tumbler houses more animals but yields a smaller display than say a kreisel which is fairly narrow (front to back) but are generally longer and taller.
Filtration can be just about anything from a canister system to wet/dry to ATS to (in my case) a reef tank.
The biggest PITA is usually the initial set-up of the circulation system, getting the flow *just right* can be a chore.

HTH,
James
Old 05/14/2007, 02:25 PM
Registered Member

I think your best bet is to make one yourself. I am friends with (he was my biology professor at Owens CC) a curator at the Toledo Zoo aquarium (Toledo, OH). I asked him about their jellyfish tank and he said they made it them -self’s. It was a tall tank that formerly housed frogs at the zoo. They inserted acrylic sheets in to the bottom coroners of the tank to the jelly fish would not get caught in the bottom. You really have to worry about the flow rate and the direction of the flow. He drew a diagram of the tank so I could better understand it. They also have another tank behind the main tank where they keep the small jelly fish that they get out of the main tank after the jellyfish breed. He said Toledo Zoo is a very predominant jelly fish breeder and they ship their jelly fish all over the world to different Zoos and aquariums. If you do some more research I don’t think it would be hard to make one, but be prepared for a very time consuming process in caring for the jellyfish.
Old 05/16/2007, 10:18 AM
Registered Member

i'll post pics of the so call easy to fab all glass kriesels when i have time. stay tune...

it's all glass, won't cost more then those normal glas stanks u custom make.

as for the flow, it's using just pvc pipe drill a row of holes across and fabricting micron net to prevent animals from going out of the system. it's simple plumbing and a bit of time.

i've raised thousands of aurelia from ephyra to grown adults with this tank. adults usally produce polps in the same setup and can scrap out for strolilation or removing the animals and shocking the main tank itself.

i also use this method of tank construction to house quarantine sea nettle jellys, bubbler type jellys too with no issue. although some species prefer the vertical to horizontal kriesel.

cheers
Old 05/18/2007, 12:25 AM
Registered Member

hi all....
as promissed

another cheap acrylic fabricated tank for sea angels (clione)
Old 05/18/2007, 12:38 AM
Registered Member

the bigger moon jellys are the parent/breeding stock.

the polyps were shock on april and the babys are about 1 1/2 mths old now and 2"- 4" diameter bell.

the netting screen are removable and needs twice daily scrubbing to prevent clog. u can use netting with larger holes but will lose artemia when feeding. u will have to deside for yourself which is better.

have fun building guys.......................
Old 05/19/2007, 01:29 PM
Registered Member

Nice reefplicate! SMY168 Are you going to build one? Post lots of pics if you do!
Old 05/21/2007, 11:09 AM
Premium Member

wow, thanks for the great info, I'm in the process of planning my 3rd seafood restaurant and wanted to build 6 50gl reef systems for the booth seats and a jelly tank as my center piece. from the looks of it, I may just build one myself and go from there, will definitely update all and thanks for the great advice!
Old 05/22/2007, 06:37 PM
Registered Member

reefplicate can you explain the flow patter of your tank?
and when you covered the bottom sides did you leve trapped air there?
finally what glass thickness is neededto cover the bottom side?
Old 05/23/2007, 12:08 AM
Registered Member

chillaxe123

ya i had to use a special equipment to vaccum out the void space b4 i can seal the silicon

just kidding!!!

just seal it up does not matter, just make sure it's dry or u'll get water droplets forming in there. does no harm, just an eye soar.

the flow is counter clockwise,just use a valve to regulate the speed of the flow. too much and the animals will all ball up, too strong and u'll have mess up jelly in pieces.

as for the 2 glass, use the same tickness as the main panels, just to be save. make sure the tank maker use good amount/quality of silicon.

i'll try to post a video, stay tune.

Last edited by reefplicate; 05/23/2007 at 12:13 AM.
Old 05/23/2007, 05:25 AM
Registered Member

here's the video

Old 05/23/2007, 05:17 PM
Registered Member

thank you
Old 07/18/2007, 07:44 PM
Registered Member

wow sea angels!! how much did u buy them at? any special requirements??