Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/07/2008, 11:12 AM
Premium Member

2-18" t8 15w 10000k for my 10g xenia/zoa tank

would they be enough light if i made good individual reflectors for them? right now they are just in the white reflectors but would they be fine for some xenia and some zoas/polyps? this is for a tank at my office if its not good enough i might have to go freshwater with this tank and i would rather not do that since i have already turned my rena smartfilter 55 into a refugum and build a nice foam/sand backround

also suggestions on cheaper lighting under $50 would be good also if possible

Last edited by marinoob; 01/07/2008 at 11:26 AM.
Old 01/07/2008, 01:12 PM
Premium Member

i made the hood so high because i was going to make a DIY 70w halide setup for this tank but when i had heat issues on my 65tall because of halides i scraped that plan and will just stick to florescents of some sort. does anybody thin that i would be ok with 70w halide? does it give off signifigantly less heat than bigger halides?
Old 01/07/2008, 01:53 PM
Registered Member

it should be fine if you add fans on the canopy...

but for 50$ you cant really get anything great for lighting....you can comb the for sale forums and find a 96w coralife or 80w current satellite for around the price......but most likely the bulbs will need to be replaced.
Old 01/08/2008, 11:32 AM
Premium Member

so you tihnk i would be ok with the 70w halide? i dont wanna take the time to DIY it and then have it be to hot the whole back of the canopy is open. i probably could get one of the little nano chillers i guess if needed later on