Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/15/2007, 11:07 PM
Registered Member

coralife skimmer (65)

hi

sorry to bring this topic back up again

i made a tread about the same skimmer a few weeks ago, but there was a leak in one of the intake valve, so i returned it back to big als for a new one

i have decided to set this up in my QT tank

anyways here my question.
is this wet skimming or dry skimmering? i set it up for 3 hrs now and the level of the bubble is constant so i dont know if i set it up wrong

anyways here are some pics

its still in the process of breaking in, so is that normal?

also i have a 2nd question, im building my dyi fuge with my aquarclear right now, will it be set by tomorrow if i want to buy cheato and do i need live rock rubbles?

Thanks
Orbit
Old 12/15/2007, 11:22 PM
Registered Member

i have the same skimmer.... i think that is wet skimming the directions should tell you. as for the rock i want to say yes it is a good idea. good luck with that skimmer.
Old 12/15/2007, 11:27 PM
Registered Member

Would be closer to a wet skim. But the foam looks clean and wont collect much if any. QT tank really dont need skimmer. HOB filter with carbon and water changes will do.
Old 12/15/2007, 11:29 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for the quick reply angel2007

yea i was reading the directions and i can get it lower but not at the .25 the manual was refering to

even if i got it close to .25 the bubble level stayed constant

how are your values orientated(my second and 3rd pic)

i think my value for the second pic is suppose to be turned like half way off right?

the red knob is already at the smallest it can be
Old 12/15/2007, 11:30 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by demonsp
Would be closer to a wet skim. But the foam looks clean and wont collect much if any. QT tank really dont need skimmer. HOB filter with carbon and water changes will do.
yea i know that lol

i should have said im using it to break it in lol my bad

the micro bubbles were making my corals unhappy when i had it in my display tank

Last edited by orbit; 12/15/2007 at 11:37 PM.
Old 12/16/2007, 12:01 AM
Registered Member

How long has it been running?
Did you do anything to break it in?
It may overflow if it isn't broken in yet so be careful.
Old 12/16/2007, 12:07 AM
Registered Member

its been running about 3hrs or so..

yea it overflow in the first 1/2hr or so..walked out of the room..then went back in 1/2hr later and saw that the cup was full of water..lol

how do you break it in??

thanks
Old 12/16/2007, 12:16 AM
Registered Member

the first day i ran mine i had green gunk right away. What i did from the start is wrap fhising line on the inpeller. But to be honest with you i wish i would of bought a different skimmer.. my adjustment valve is opend all the way, and the red valve is on the second to last dot. (almost all the way opened.)
Old 12/16/2007, 12:32 AM
Registered Member

so it is dry skimming?
Old 12/16/2007, 01:08 AM
Registered Member

yes i do dry skimming it has worked for me
Old 12/16/2007, 03:13 AM
Registered Member

having the pump close to the water surface worked for me
Old 12/16/2007, 08:44 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by o0jmadr0x0o
having the pump close to the water surface worked for me
wut does that mean? u used the shorted plastic tubing rather the longer one?

so the skimmer have been in running overnight, if u look at my first pic, i lower the bubble level half way, but noting seems to be happening, the larger chamber part is barely creating bubbles

the last one i had worked right away but it had a leak lol, so i dont kno wut is going on with this skimmer

i have a feeling the last one was used before but returned because of the leak, when i open the box(1st one) it wasnt packed as neat as the one i got now

if its not to much trouble, can someone post a pic of their coralife skimmer, so i can see wut it should look like, this is my first skimmer, so i dont really know how its suppose to look like

Thanks
Old 12/17/2007, 10:08 AM
Registered Member

I have had my corallife 65 running for 4-5 months, first on a 29 and now on my 58. I tried to follow the instruction set up exactly, but if I recall correctly, I ended up using the longer piece of tubing but making it somewhat shorter. Mine is an "in tank" installation. My pump is probably a little deeper in the tank than the three inches they recommend (maybe 3.5-4 inches). I also had to trim the black flexible tubing that goes to the bubble diffiuser. Follow the directions to adjust the gray needle wheel pump adjustment to a partially open position for the first 72 hours or so. Even though they said to leave the red water level adjustment knob in the open position for the break in period, I think I needed to turn it back some to reduce the level of the bubbles in the collection cup. My skimmer really did need this break in period and did not produce any colored skimmate until after this period--and it seemed more effective after a week or two. It is a PITA to adjust this unit but mine seems to be working very well. Once you have passed the break-in period and have the needle-wheel pump adjustment knob (gray) in the fully open position you have to adjust the red knob VERY little to make a significant change in the level of bubbles in the collection cup. Also after tank cleaning or stirring things up in the tank for any reason, it is a good idea to turn it back ever so slightly, or at least keep a good eye on it because sometimes the cup fills faster when there is more "junk" in the water column. I am dumping the cup about 2-3 times a week, but I never let it get more than 2/3 full. If you are still having a lot of trouble, I will try to get pictures, but the skimmer is between the tank and a wall so that it is not in an easy place to photograph. I'm sure this is not the best unit out there, but unless you got a defective one, will produce dark skimmate once broken in and adjusted.
Old 12/19/2007, 09:35 AM
Registered Member

so my skimmer have been running for 3 days now and this is wut it looks like

it seems to be skimming but there is noting in the collection for me to empty
Old 12/19/2007, 03:28 PM
Registered Member

bump

anyknow kno if this is normal?
Old 12/19/2007, 09:37 PM
Registered Member

According to the instructions, and my experiences, you should turn the gray needle-wheel pump adjustment (gray) to the full open (vertical position) after 3 days. You will probably need to turn back on the red knob. You want to see the bubbles climbing up inside the collection cup cone, which it looks like is happening in your photo. If you turn the red knob too far open you will see the bubbles climb inside the collection cup cone, overflow it and rapidly collect in the cup--you need to find the happy medium between nothing collecting in the cup and having it fill up too rapidly. Fool around with adjusting the knob in small increments when you will be at home and try to find the point where you are collecting some colored skimmate. Do not increase the flow and leave the thing unwatched until you have an idea how quickly you will be collecting liquid. I am not an expert but think I got mine adjusted to do the job.
Old 12/20/2007, 08:57 AM
Premium Member

I have been running the CSS 220 for over a year. The biggest problem that I had to overcome was that the skimmer has an issue if you don't maintain a constant water level. Since I have mine 'in-sump', I decided to put the pump in a plastic cereal container with one of my drain hoses in the container as well to maintain the water level at all times. I also shortened the plastic tube so that the pump is as close to the top of the container (about 2-3 inches) as it can. I usually run mine at the same level as the first photo. I skims a little wet at first , but soon settles.
Old 12/20/2007, 08:59 AM
Premium Member

Also check this thread. It has ALOT of great info even though it is long.

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...5&pagenumber=1

GL

Scott