Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > The Fish Breeding Forum
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/17/2004, 01:47 AM
Registered Member

rotifiers and water qual

howdy peoples. ive just purchased some live rotifiers online and are about to have a shot at breeding some clarkii clowns. ive thrown them into a small unfiltered tank with water from my reef tank. ive also bought some frozen nannochloropsis concentrate and fed them their recommended dosage. as this algae isnt live im curious as to how quickly its going to polute my water. ive read that the trick to culturing rotifiers is to get the right balance between sufficiently feeding and poluting your water. i assume as im using dead algae that my waters more vulnerable? what are your thoughts? ive also read that the best thing about the nano concentrate is that it removes the need to enrich rotifiers before feeding them off. is this true?
regards stauncho
Old 08/18/2004, 12:02 AM
Registered Member

I can't exactly tell from the picture, what would you say is the species of clown you have pictured? Sebae? As far as your questions yes water quality is important one of your best helpers will be Amquel Plus or a similar water conditioning additive and frequent water changes. You will also want to lightly tint the water at feeding and feed less than if you had live phyto. As far as the enriching is concerned that is actually what you are doing by feeding phyto. Phyto has a great nutrient base and this will translate to healthy fry.
Old 08/18/2004, 12:04 AM
Registered Member

Also try adding cyclop-eeze to the parent's diet to increase pigmentation as the color of the eggs seems a bit light in the photo.
Old 08/18/2004, 12:15 AM
Premium Member

I can see you need some help on rotifers and phyto production right now I think your way under gunned.

http://www.melevsreef.com/phytoplankton.html

Better yet go here and use the nav bar to take you to sue's basement her system works great.

http://www.sjwilson.net/reef/

Hope this helps and good luck

Fahz
Old 08/18/2004, 12:54 AM
Registered Member

rotifiers

thanks everyone. the clowns are clarkki's (Amphiprion clarkii). as for the color of the eggs, that shot was taken the day they were layed. they change to a blackish then silver color before they hatch. from what ive read orangey gold eggs are a healthy sign so ive got no quarms there. my rotifiers are doing well. numbers are multiplying so i plan to have a shot at the next batch. the batch in the photo hatched in my reeftank last night but i didnt remove them as i dont have enuff rotifiers yet. they usually lay a new batch the day after the last ones hatch so hopefully in a week or so ill be ready to roll.
thanks again everyone.
stauncho.
Old 08/18/2004, 08:33 AM
Registered Member

good luck
Old 08/18/2004, 08:57 AM
Registered Member

my minnions

cheers aticus ill keep ya posted. take it sleezy in the meantime,
stauncho
Old 08/27/2004, 04:34 PM
Registered Member

hatched

well its the morning after they hatched. a local breeder told me not to worry about blacking out the tank but now im thinking i probably should of allthough theres still a lot left swimming around. i can however see a few casualties on the ground. not many though i suppose. it was a rushed effort in the end. i only just got the rotifiers happening in time and thought i might leave it untill the next batch but ended up getting too excited. i threw a heap of live rock in with the babies to hopefully keep water stable. a mini berlin system basically. anyways whatever happens im wrapped and its only gonna improve from here. thanks for all your help guys.
stauncho