Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/19/2007, 08:49 AM
Registered Member

hi!

hi had my tank set up for approx 6 months (still very much in it's infancy) only got a couple of soft muchroom corals in it and some coral growing gang busters on the live rock!! *excitement ++*

just got a question with 2 new fish i have in there

the blue tang and comet seem to be getting white blemishes on their body/fin that move randomly to other parts of their body/fin, never in the same spot!

im not sure what this is, it's not ich i am fairly sure (might be never encountered it in saltwater, just my freshwater tank) as it isn't small white dots but a large white blemish (very odd) that like i said are not in the same spot

the 3 other fish in the tank do not have this they have been in the tank for a while (2 months, 2 months and 4 months)

the comet and blue tang are the only 2 new fish (approx 2 weeks in this tank) & the last 2 i will put into the tank

the blue tang also seems to be exhibiting some weird behavior swimming around and around some live rock/against the glass over and over the comet behaves as i have read they do, shy, quiet, comes out at twilight when i feed him

they both seem to be eating fine

any thoughts? would appreciate it
Old 07/19/2007, 08:57 AM
Send money....

[welcome]

You could also check out the fish disease forum here on RC for further help with the fish blemishes.

I do not know what your other 3 fish are, but if the tank you are speaking of is the 150L in your sig line, then that translates to 40g and way too small for a blue tang, IMO. He's probably going nuts not having the room he needs.

Also, it's a good idea to quarantine new fish before putting them in your display.
Old 07/19/2007, 09:05 AM
Registered Member

the blue tang is only tiny atm, he will be going to a bigger tank later

1 clarke clown, 1 firefish, 1 golden head goby (shifts sand)

there is plenty of room in it atm to swim around and or hide
Old 07/19/2007, 05:13 PM
Registered Member

bump*

can anyone shed some light?
Old 07/19/2007, 05:15 PM
Team RC Member

fungal infection? Bacterial? I'd check out the disease forum asap. Sooner you figure it out the better off the fish will be.

Click on my homepage to be taken to my RC Blog!
Old 07/19/2007, 05:26 PM
Registered Member

i had a look nothing there really seems to describe it, the comet is out and about atm and he has no marks on him now, last night he had 3 noticeable ones

driving me bonkers i know I'm not imagining it's only popped up in the last 3 days