Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/27/2005, 03:20 PM
Me in Iraq

How to filter Fish Only tank?

How is everyone with FO tanks filtering them?

The tank I have is RR so a sump or wet/dry is possible.

What's confusing me is I know people say not to use a bio wheel or bio balls, but what does the filtering if there's no live rock and you don't have any bio media?
Old 07/27/2005, 03:49 PM
Registered Member

I would say most people actually do use bioballs on there FO setups. Without live rock you need something like bioballs to culture bacteria. Use the wetdry They say not to use them with live rock in the tank because it creates to much bacteria which can lead to problems, but without live rock in the tank your fine with bioballs.

Ray
Old 07/27/2005, 03:49 PM
840>420

i have a millineum 3000 wetdry (i removed the biofiltering bc i have a lot of liverock)... it has two filterpads in there that filter. also i use a red sea prizm deluxe protein skimmer on my 80g.
on my 26 i have another millineum 3000 filter. the m3000 is rated 20-100 gallons (huge range) and the skimmer i have is rated up to 100g. between the two the water is crystal clear. the skimmer helps a lot, i look in everyday and the collection cup is nice and foamy with a good amount of waste in it. i use two rio180 powerheads to stir up whatever is in there, and to keep the current moving well. i may or maynot add more powerheads, i will see how the fish like it now and how clear the water is when fish are present.
Old 07/27/2005, 06:50 PM
Me in Iraq

I have a Prizm Pro that I'm not using right now that may be going on my new tank. I'm trying to find the sump return adapter because I want to use it in the sump, not as a hang on.

I might use some LR and put some in the sump too. I just don't want to see a box of rocks anymore....
Old 07/28/2005, 08:00 AM
Registered Member

In my 78g FOWLR i use a wet/dry with bio balls, 30 pounds of live rock and a protein skimmer.