Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > Coral Propagation and Aquaculture
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/18/2007, 06:22 PM
Registered Member

tonights progress

Heres the growth up date for tonight [IMG][/IMG]
Old 09/18/2007, 06:23 PM
Registered Member

or maybe this will show it better[IMG][/IMG]
Old 09/18/2007, 06:39 PM
Ozone Sniffer

Nice Doug.
I love how you can see the new nubs poking through the base getting ready to form new branches. Awesome.

"Be sure and wear a speedo lest tangs nest in your britches"
Old 09/18/2007, 06:50 PM
Registered Member

pics of a clown

this is my favorite fish right now[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 09/18/2007, 07:51 PM
DIY Junkie

that clown tang doesn't seem to want to turn the right way for a good picture
Old 09/18/2007, 08:27 PM
Registered Member

that is good because it means hes activly doing his job hes so fat in the second pic his stripes show it
Old 09/20/2007, 11:43 PM
sweeeet!!

I can't send you a PM, so I will post it here. I am going to do a hobbyist greenhouse (or whatever you call it up here in the frigid north) for now and I like your panels (polycarbonate). It will most likely be a room with lots of skylights and windows. Now I need to figure out if I can use the poly panels up here where temps in the winter can get into -20F and lower. Your GH is an inspiration to me. Thanks for sharing.

Let it snow, I have a hobby to pay for!!!
Old 09/20/2007, 11:47 PM
I glue animals to rocks

redox, I was going to ask you about your polycarb, does it block UV like most on the market or did you find some that don't and if so where at?

Business lesson 101 - "I put these changes machines everywhere and haven't made a dime!"
Old 09/21/2007, 04:53 AM
Registered Member

these panels that i used are from FARMTEK.com. They block some uv,dont remember the exact%. I dont use any shade cloth on them. I would think they would work in a cold place, but condesation on the inside of the panel might cause you some problems in the winter months. I wish I would have put some sort of interior gutter system to catch the runoff. I might still do it as winter is on the way and so is the condensation problem for me
Old 09/21/2007, 03:23 PM
Premium Supreme Member

If it gets to freezing temps, how the hell is the sun going to shine through the snow? I think you better not build a greenhouse in the frigid North.
Old 09/21/2007, 03:30 PM
Nightime Tank Cleanin'

Coralsicles!
Old 09/21/2007, 10:50 PM
I glue animals to rocks

No, snow on the roof is not a worry as it melts as it hits it. With the greenhouse keeping steady warm temps the polycarb keeps a temp above freezing thus the snow melts off pretty quickly. Think of it like in your car with the heater running, the glass is kept warm and snow and ice continually melt off. Even during a snow storm a GH puts off enough heat that it will keep melting enough that there won't be much build up and any that does will slough off once it stops snowing.

Business lesson 101 - "I put these changes machines everywhere and haven't made a dime!"
Old 09/22/2007, 06:53 AM
Registered Member

I agree with you on that Castor. I dont think the snow will be able to stick if your inside temps are good. I really like the insulative gualities these panels have. We had some cold days last winter where it got down to the teens and it was toasty warn in the gh. When its that cold outside I run a dehumidifier for heat. Also 2 1000w titanium heaters,but thats it. With all the pumps and other electrical things you get plenty of warmth from them. I discontinue use of the vent fan in the winter
Old 09/22/2007, 09:54 AM
sweeeet!!

So I should be okay?? I am thinking it won't be a problem. But I am trying to understand what to have on the inside of the poly panels, what kind of insulation. I was thinking of a plastic liner on the inside, but I just don't know. I will probably post something on a different post. BTW redox, there is a guy up here who is also from the OBX. He told me his location, but I forget.

Old 09/22/2007, 10:40 AM
Registered Member

i put plastic up the first winter but didnt do it last winter. Its like a rain storm in there . It really dosnt hurt anything,well as long as electrical equipment is protected. I take apart anything electrical and spray the inside, curcuit boards included with CRC brand HEAVY DUTY CORROTION INHIBITOR . It works great and moisture cant get trough. I trust it sooo much that I sprayed the inside of my tunze controller $$$$$ and I havent had any problems with it at all. The stuff is majic and will save you alot of money in wet electronics
Old 09/22/2007, 11:51 AM
sweeeet!!

I plan to build a new garage (need one anyway) and put the lean-to on the south side of it. Lots of great info here redox. keep the faith man!!!

Old 09/22/2007, 12:36 PM
Registered Member

Im glad you are getting something from this. Anything I can do to help? I have no secrets here
Old 09/22/2007, 02:24 PM
Registered Member

new pics of the poly panels

took these durring a rain storm[IMG][/IMG] It shows how the panels attach too the roof
this pic is a standard 4x8 span[IMG][/IMG]
this pic shows 2 things ,the panels on a corner and the amount of condensation that is always present[IMG][/IMG]
Old 09/22/2007, 02:28 PM
Registered Member

venting heat and humidity

cant ventilate humidity when its 100% outside[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
this is what controlls inside air durring the summer.durring winter its off line[IMG][/IMG]
Old 09/22/2007, 02:36 PM
Registered Member

rust

well this is a subject that has gotten me in trouble in the past. Here are pics that show why I feel so strongly about rust[IMG][/IMG]
the fan slings salt laden humidity everywhere[IMG][/IMG]
my poor r.o. unit is getting tested for longevity[IMG][/IMG]
Old 09/22/2007, 02:43 PM
Registered Member

In fact all electrical hardware is getting the test. When I take that air controller offline soon chances are it wont work next season. I took an 03 unit offline that cost me about 1700bucks and tried too fire it up the other day. well it makes just about the best door stop youve ever seen. Ive gone through a ton of those lowes lifetime warranty fan motors good thing they dont ask you what your using it for heck the fan on the gable has its days numbered right now. It keeps tripping the gfci and I have too plug it in on a non gfci to get it too run more. Once it runs for a few minutes and rids itself of the moisture I can re-plug it into the controller
Old 09/22/2007, 04:01 PM
Registered Member

warranty void

heres where I voided the warranty on my seaswirls[IMG][/IMG]
Old 09/22/2007, 04:17 PM
Registered Member

Nice photos redox, how many tanks are you running there? Are you propagating soft corals? What's your water changes schedule?

thank you for sharing
Old 09/22/2007, 04:20 PM
Registered Member

closed loop

this is a direct closed loop that runs a heavy day cycle and only cycles 2 times durring the night. gsps,lps,zoes,leathers,and just about all the worst bugs you would never want to see[IMG][/IMG]
Old 09/22/2007, 04:31 PM
Registered Member

I went back and looked at the poly panels that i bought and wow they went way up since I bought them. And... they claim that it wont condesate inside? thats crazzy I wish I had that in writing? I void the warranty of everthing I touch anyway so what the heck