Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/12/2006, 07:37 PM
Registered Member

sequence dart info,comments

I plan on using a dart on my new 265, it has a 2' intake, I plan on using a 75 gal tank for the sump, so how do I get a 3 and1/2"hole in the side of the sumpor is there an alternate way of plumbing it with reducers ,siphon etc. and and how good are these pumps any comments??
Old 10/12/2006, 07:46 PM
Registered Member

good pumps, just drill the tank if using for a return pump. I run mine as an over the top closed loop (no drilling) for intank circulation. I would buy one again in a heartbeat, lots of flow, low power draw and whisper silent.
Old 10/12/2006, 08:58 PM
Registered Member

Thanks.. anyone else I will be buying in 1 week and need as many comments as posible to finalize my decision
Old 10/12/2006, 09:54 PM
Registered Member

the pump is great. Buy it already. I use mine for a closed loop on a 150.
My Turbo Honda -> Click little red house.
Friends don't let friends buy from Front Range Aquatics
Old 10/13/2006, 01:45 AM
Registered Member

I'm currently using the hammerhead and I have to say that its a beast!!! Its a great pump. For your size tank I would go with a barracuda. I have a 350 gal tank and althought it doesn't seem to be pushing that much flow through my loc line returns, it's almost seems like its going to overflow my tank. I had a custom bulit in overflow box and I just wished that they made the teeth a little deeper. Controling the flow with a ball valve didn't seem to be that effect. Just make sure your over flow box or the holes you drill for your bulkheads can handle the flow. I would highly recommend this pump.
Old 10/13/2006, 02:20 AM
Registered Member

I like my dart. It does do this weird spinning with no water movement thing when I unplug and then plug it in sometimes.
Old 10/13/2006, 05:54 PM
Registered Member

u can reduce to 1.5" from the sump but DONT reduce the return...they need lrg diameter pipe for max flow...i like to run the pipe up the back/over the top bypassing the overflow...i use all (3) models and would never buy a different brand...well worth the money
Old 10/13/2006, 07:27 PM
Premium Member

YES on the pumps.. I have a Dart and it's a silent dream, pushing a ton of water through my 4-way. don't restrict the outlets... make sure they add up to at least 1.5".
Old 10/13/2006, 08:54 PM
Reef Crazy

Is it for your return pump? That a BIG return pump. What type of overflow/drains do you have to handle 3600 gph?

You can run the 2" plumbing right over the side of the 75g if you want. I have the Snapper, the little brother of the Dart on a closed loop. I use a single 2" screen and run the 2" tubing all the way to the pump. It goes right over the top of the tank.

Here's a couple of pics of how I did it.

Dan
Old 10/13/2006, 09:31 PM
Registered Member

thanks all ..I ran into a buddy today who is taking a tank down and bought the dart from him($100) ..he had it modded with a larger impeller from the mfg . I plan on teeing it off to supply a fuge and a chiller and a fluidized bed filter so that will cut down on some of the flow through the tank.
Old 10/14/2006, 09:10 PM
Premium Member

I will second, third and fouth everyones opinion on the Darts. Very happy with mine.. 2 inch intake and 1.5 out.. works awsome.

Located in or around Victoria BC ? say Hi
Old 10/14/2006, 09:53 PM
Registered Member

Off topic- but can a Dart be mounted upside down? I'm trying to creatively save space in my sump.
Old 10/14/2006, 11:08 PM
Premium Member

I would have to say no. If any air got caught up in it... it would be unable to clear itself and be really ... really noisy

Located in or around Victoria BC ? say Hi
Old 10/15/2006, 01:06 AM
Big Boy Pants

I would use the dart for a closed loop & get a smaller pump (600-1000gph) for your fuge/sump return.

Proud Member of the wisconsinreefsociety.org &
cmas.net
Old 11/04/2006, 11:34 PM
Registered Member

I'm planning on dart as well.Itwill be running on a
120 w/2overflows,1/4 hp chiller(maybe a 4 ft head on it),aquac ev120 skimmer and low flow to a refugium.
Will this be a good choice for my tank
Help me ,Thanks
Old 11/04/2006, 11:47 PM
Registered Member

I can't hear my Iwaki over the noise my Dart makes. MDM did nothing to try and rectify the noise problem.
Old 11/05/2006, 12:15 AM
Premium Member

I use the extra power on my pump for other issues that would typically require another pump or powerhead. For example, having a line that goes over the fuge (if you use one) and have ball valves so I can mount phosphate remover, carbon, etc. Another one drops down in size to power the water flow through the calcium reactor, and yet another if you have a frag tray or even a skimmer. Many uses for the extra water flow, or just turn it down on the return side if you have no other use.

Reefcentral has a slick little program on calculating exactly how much flow you will get for your specific situation and sometimes the flow will be substantially reduced by pipe size, length of run, vertical, etc. If you get a chance play with it and see what it says.

If the dart is making noise, my guess is a possible cavitation issue. You might also contact your pump vendor Eric and see if they can help you out. I personally have found the folks at MDM to be quite helpful, perhaps an email or phone call again would help? A thought at least. :-)

Kip