Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Lounge
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05/24/2006, 02:10 AM
Registered Member

anybody have anything to say about E3

As in sony's ps3 which was a sham of everything at the expo. All the XBOX360's new games, or the nintendo Wii (previously nintendo revolution) If you did hear anything what did you think of everything?
Old 05/24/2006, 02:22 AM
Registered Member

All i know and care about is that Halo 3 is going to be freakin' sweet
Old 05/24/2006, 02:38 AM
my member is registered.

missed most of it..........
Old 05/24/2006, 06:00 AM
Eternally Discombobulated

Well, I was impressed by the Nintendo Wii after not really caring for a while. I really think that Nintendo will end up sweeping the holiday console market for non-hard-core gamers which, ironically enough, is still a good chunk of the market. You have to give Nintendo a lot of credit, despite all the talk and hype for other consoles and games Nintendo remains a solid constant competitor. I will be very interested, though, to see how the market actually responds to them upon release. They are at a good price-point for the majority of the market though, especially considering current economic conditions. Families will be more likely to spend $250 on a gaming console for their kids versus $400+ for one.

Could care less about the Xbox360 (never have liked Xbox for a myriad of reasons, majority of which are personal) or the PS3. I think both consoles are way too hyped and over-priced. I'm sorry, but with the price of technology these days if I wanted to drop $400, $500, or even $600 I would buy something more useful like a PC or digital camera. There is no excuse why these things should cost so much. They can claim losses all they want, but I don't believe a word of it. I mean, not only are the consoles costing a mint, but game prices are going up too. Sorry Microsoft and Sony, you can't have your cake AND eat it too. I'll continue to wait and utilize the secondary (aka "used games and hardware") market for all my gaming needs.

I was extremely upset that the Final Fantasy XIII project for the PS2 was scrapped in the midst of production and changed to being created for the PS3. While it does look incredibly sweet, it was a low-blow move by Sony to play on a market in order to sell consoles. The saw huge sales from the RPG FF market with the original PS upon release of FFVII and they are trying to do exactly the same thing with FFXIII. Can I blame them? No. Do I think it's a cheap-shot? Yes.

That's about it. Otherwise I really wasn't happy with G4's coverage of E3. I felt like I was watching hundreds of 15-second snippets of nothing and those segments that were longer were for games that most gamers I know could care less about.

I'm actually very happy that I am "behind the times" with videogames and only now getting into the PS2. All the games I want to play are around $25 or less new/used or I can borrow them from my friend who collects gaming systems and games (all the way back to original Pong...his personal video game history "museum" is getting pretty impressive). I absolutely refuse to shell out the kind of cash that companies are charging today for systems and games.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 05/24/2006, 06:30 AM
Stop touching me!!!

Who's got all this time to be wasting playing computer games??? Don't you have anything more productive to do?
Old 05/24/2006, 07:17 AM
Eternally Discombobulated

Avast! lbrty9! I'll not let ye be hijackin' this 'ere thread! Thar'l be no thread piracy here!!!

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 05/24/2006, 07:15 PM
Registered Member

i agree with the whole price thing, 599.99 for a ps3 no wayy!!!! i already have an xbox 360 and the games and all the extra features like live arcade is the best, now i guess sony is trying to do the same thing whatever! the wii looks really cool i really cant wait to try that wiimote. lbrty9 there is nothing wrong with playing games at least not for fun there are people who get a little carried away with it but then there are people who spend thousands of dollars on an aquatic way of living i.e. our passion( aquariums and all things salty, so don't stereotype us who enjoy gaming because there are a lot of things people waste their time with. peace to all rc members ok.
Old 05/24/2006, 08:00 PM
RC Staff & Thread Pirate

E3?

Bingo!

Nuclear winter solves global warming.
Old 05/24/2006, 09:07 PM
Registered Member

All I have to say is Wii.

But the PSP had some great game showing there as well.

PS3 looks good but I wont get one till next year.
This is how it looks to me.
1. Wii
2. PS3
3. 360
Old 05/24/2006, 09:12 PM
Registered Member

e3 is the electronic entertainment expo, its held every year and it showcases the upcoming titles in video games. F rom new consoles to software titles and also includes things like press conferences for the heavy hitters like Microsoft, Nintendo an sony. making all the videogamers out there drool until their fave system or game hits our shelves
Old 05/24/2006, 09:17 PM
Registered Member

the wii looks really cool and promises to be very entertaining, i am looking forward to getting one. On the other hand I am displeased with sony and their feeble attempts at copying everyone, I'm sorry i'm just saying that even a sony fan would and should say they were showboating alot last year and this year nothing, all the way down to the removal of all the usb and other connections, in fact nobody at e3 was even impressed with the console and whats worse sony's vp had to ask for an applause........? does anybody else see a problem?
Old 05/25/2006, 12:04 AM
See if you can pingaso it

All i know is that move sony did with the games for the ps3 and you not being able to resale the games,,, ticked me off...i'm going xbox 360
Old 05/25/2006, 12:13 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jman77
All i know is that move sony did with the games for the ps3 and you not being able to resale the games,,, ticked me off...i'm going xbox 360

That is not yet confirmed BTW.

The PS3 will do fine just due to the popularity of the other 2 consoles.
The 360 IMO will only be a good console to have for PC ports such as PREY.

The Wii will be the truely great console this go around and will be fun to play. I aint saying that the other 2 are crap but the Wii catches my eye more.(I will end up with all 3)
Old 05/25/2006, 12:51 AM
Registered Member

jman77 right on! i dislike sony alot because of the last "promises" they made
Old 05/25/2006, 09:28 AM
See if you can pingaso it

Brandino,

Not yet confirmed..... not from what i saw read, hopefully i'm wrong though. If they do that ...they are going to loose alot of people. One of my coworkers feels the same way and her was all hardcore about getting the ps3

This is also coming from someone that owns some of their other consols. So i'm not just now thinking of getting a PS ....
Old 05/25/2006, 10:12 AM
Pulling my hair out

Had a PS2...gave it up after the joke they called Socom3, switched to Xbox and didn't look back. Now I've got a 360 and love it. Do I like paying $50/year to play my games online? Not particularly...but at least it works like it should instead of the lack of support Sony has given to online play. The downloadable content is nice...arcade games & such, although I've not used that much yet myself. Overall, MS has done a great job with online play compared to Sony. My main focus when I look at a new game is online play...I rarely play single-player, just not nearly as fun. I also think the $600 priceline of the PS3 is high...even the $400 for my 360 was a little hard to swallow, but I dont' regret paying it now.
Personally not sure on the Wii, but will be looking into it more as the games are more focused for the kids in general.
Old 05/25/2006, 12:38 PM
Registered Member

Well Nintendo is trying to change their kiddy look and they are getting lots of 3rd party support. Expect lots of FPS on the Wii.
Old 05/25/2006, 01:16 PM
Registered Member

I have a psp and will have the 600 buck ps3. I mean common my controller will have a high definition screen, and for that I must own one.

I just dropped a penny on my pc though. I'm curious to see the comparison. Dual processor, gig of video memory with true 16X gforce sli. A serious performer. I'm waiting on the game developers now to match my hardware. All the way up and i still get 100-200 frames per second on most games. i'm not even overclocked yet. Visualizations run in greater than hd resolution and can hit upwards of 400frames per second.

As for sony and microsoft loosing money on each console. How can you not believe that. Technology like that is not cheep, its available to the public in pc form now for the most part and costs thousands, not including blue ray. When I worked at circuit city we always had to have friends buy our game systems b/c it cost more for employees than for customers. About half the price of a game. PS, PS2, XBox,.... etc

We will be catching up for a 50 years on what technology brings us in the next 10.
My Turbo Honda -> Click little red house.
Friends don't let friends buy from Front Range Aquatics
Old 05/25/2006, 01:25 PM
Registered Member

The 360 has already proved its ability to make games that look better than their PC conterparts.
Old 05/25/2006, 02:07 PM
Ferret Maximus

have the 360-would not want to pay more for a gaming unit
can't wait to get hd though-
did not see alot of coverage of e3

looked like the same story

sony copies microsoft and nintendo tries to grow up

360 online has been near flawless-the free arcade games are a party fav in my home
Old 05/25/2006, 02:10 PM
Registered Member

is that hardware or software? Since maybe <.1% of pc users have equipment like that why make the software for it. I have a fealing it will take the pc a couple years to catch up via software.

Every 360 can make those graphics so they can program for it. Every pc cannot make those graphics and if they were to dump that hard of a system requirement on people nobody would buy the game.

I play halo and can't wait to play it on the 360 at someone elses house. It looks to be a great game, I will probably play the pc version if its any good. The first halo definitly looked better on the pc.

What part of an 360's hardware makes it perform greater than a modern gaming pc. On a hardware level, the games will catch up soon.
Old 05/25/2006, 02:13 PM
Registered Member

i have a fealing a lot of companies out there are just copying atari but who is pointing fingers
Old 05/25/2006, 02:35 PM
intergalatic hitchhiker

Quote:
Originally posted by jman77
Brandino,

Not yet confirmed..... not from what i saw read, hopefully i'm wrong though. If they do that ...they are going to loose alot of people. One of my coworkers feels the same way and her was all hardcore about getting the ps3

This is also coming from someone that owns some of their other consols. So i'm not just now thinking of getting a PS ....
While Sony does have the Patents on security measures that would force this, they have repeatedly denied that they would do this - the newest article this week(I bet that is where youre getting your info from) is just rehashing old rumors.
Sony just cant afford to lose THAT MUCH in sales- they have upwards of 2/3 of their development funds sunk into the PS3- to have it completely fail would be devastating to their entire corporation

I, personally, have never wished to be a hot dog
Old 05/25/2006, 04:02 PM
Registered Member

let's not forget that the xbox360 is already hd if you dont have an hdtv thats ok you dont have to have one to play the games, paying 600 dollars to play sony's blu ray is just stupid, and sure they got rid of their stupid BOOMARANG design for the old style controller, yes but who the heck wants to play a game w/out the RUMBLES its because sony is stupid and the patents for their "rumble design belongs to someone else or is it because they; at the last moment tried to copy the Wii controller, and now there is no room for some rumble motors? who knows all i know is 600 dollars is way to freakin expensive for something ftarded. I share qballs sentiments on XBXO i had a ps2 like 6 times i finally got tired of them all breaking and not working so i got the XBOX and will never look back
Old 05/26/2006, 06:25 AM
Registered Member

check out this video about sony

SONY'S inovative ways of thinking- yeah and ima tha freekin popevideo1 video2 after you witness this inane dribble you to will come to understand how ftarded sony really is thank you!