Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Lounge
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05/18/2005, 11:11 AM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by kbmdale
You guys realize that microshaft's spyware tool is only free for about 90 more days.....At that time they will be screaming show me the money!

Run Spybot S&D and AD Aware(free version). Together they get everything.
There is no plans to charge for microsofts spyware program.
Your information is inaccurate.
Old 05/18/2005, 11:11 AM
RC Staff & Thread Pirate

Nuclear winter solves global warming.
Old 05/18/2005, 11:15 AM
Premium Member

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...virusesspyware
http://www.enterpriseitplanet.com/se...le.php/3505231
Old 05/18/2005, 11:34 AM
Premium Member

From what I've read they will be charging a subscription fee for their anti-virus product that hasn't been released and the spyware program will remain free.
Old 05/18/2005, 11:35 AM
LIGHTS ARE ON!!!!

Microsoft...give something away for free (IE)...to corner the market(IE)...to drive out competition...then charge for it?
Or simply "include" it in their OS........

nah, they'd NEVER do that!!!

and of course if they are creating any virus'. it's simply to test their software

Reminds me of a company I went to work for, they had over 13 virus on the software discs that they were installing on computers/servers and then SELLING them to people...already infected!!!

I used to have a "library" of virus infected floppies. I probably still have them somewhere. The best was the "stoned" virus as I recall, it would kill your hard drive, and a message would pop up
something like "I'm stoned"

actually this is one message acccording to Symantec, but I don't recall seeing it:
"Your PC is now stoned! LEGALIZE MARIJUANA! "

another site listed only this as the message
"Your PC is now Stoned!''

There were probably different variants
Old 05/18/2005, 11:36 AM
Moved On

since when have you ever know Microshaft to do anything for free....ITs a scam... Technically they should offer it and anitvirus both for free cause its holes in the OS that allow these things to exist.
Old 05/18/2005, 11:37 AM
Registered Member

this spyware adware issue doesnt help me either working in technical support. When I get suspicious of it along with overloaded antiviruses and taskbar items.. and I tell my clients that..they just deny and get offended at me esp those with new pcs.
Old 05/19/2005, 09:20 AM
Registered Member

Yeah…I don’t think I will ever use a pay for security service from Microsoft. If they make a product that is so apt at getting spyware and viruses, then why would I give them more money to fix the problem they made to begin with? They should Want to fix the problem as a matter of customer service.

Example: If Sony made a microwave that blew up from time to time you would not feel it was right to give them more money for the “keep it from blowing up� feature.