Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Lounge
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05/04/2005, 05:52 PM
Dino - Victim of Women

Anyone dogpack?

Does anyone here dog pack (backpack)? I would really like to know what to look for in a pack. With that said I'm not really in any need of something with all kinds of weird stuff on it. Just looking for something really basic: couple pockets and a ring to attach a leash. I looked at petsmart but all they had was ones that went over the back, maybe its just me but wouldn't you want one that put most of the weight over the shoulders? Probably wont ever have much weight in it at a time, you know 2-3lbs. Just a little dog anyway (30lbs.)...

Just kinda thought it would be a neat tool, could put like water bottles in it just for walks to wear him out a little more, and while we're working could put all kinds of stuff in it (fencing staples, steel post clamps, small tools, ect...) so I wouldn't have to cram my pockets full of stuff.

"And who could have ever guess that Dino is apparently the smartest man on the planet?" - jgoodrich71
Old 05/04/2005, 06:18 PM
Seamonkey on my back

PETA frowns on animal slave labor...

Rick
Old 05/04/2005, 08:12 PM
Delaware Valley Reef Club

hmmm.. im gonna tag along here... just got a springer spaniel pup, so in a few months i will need to outfit him too..
Dinoman- have you checked out campmor.com?

Prop&Save!
...Sure don't know what I'm going for, but I'm gonna go for it for sure...
Old 05/04/2005, 08:16 PM
Brains are yummy!!

REI has really nice packs for dogs...check them out at
www.rei.com
Old 05/04/2005, 08:24 PM
Registered Member

screw PETA. my huskies LOVED packing. it's been so long ago, i don't remember where we got our packs, probably at some sort of outfitter place.

you want to start out with very lightweight stuff. your dog may even lay down and refuse to move at first. just coax with lots of treats and once he gets the hang of it, he'll love it.
Old 05/04/2005, 08:33 PM
Seamonkey on my back

Quote:
Originally posted by Ninapearl
screw PETA.
no thanks, i'd probably wanna go out for a burger afterwards...

Rick
Old 05/04/2005, 08:47 PM
Registered Member

Dino-it's great for camping, they can carry their own food and water! Like Nina said, start slow with just the pack and slowly up the weight. I'm pretty sure all the packs you are going to find will be made to fit the back. Anything on the shoulders would rub too much and interfere with their movement. Make sure any weight you have them carry is balanced. Have fun!

In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog. - Edward Hoagland
Old 05/05/2005, 05:02 AM
Dino - Victim of Women

Rick maybe you should get a little backpack for that little fluffy wuffy poofie woofie pie you have .

Just started thinking the other day it could be such a useful tool, I could use it just about anywhere. I'm always needing a couple extra pockets, be great if I could put the couple pockets on the dog. Anyone have tips on buying a pack? Like what features to absolutely avoid and which ones to make sure are on there. Or are all of the backpacks basically "good" with the more expensive ones just being better quality with maybe some neato feature added on?

Off check out some of the places people pointed out...

"And who could have ever guess that Dino is apparently the smartest man on the planet?" - jgoodrich71
Old 05/05/2005, 05:58 AM
Dino - Victim of Women

Quote:
Originally posted by SexiShrimp
REI has really nice packs for dogs...check them out at
www.rei.com
I really like a couple of those packs! Pretty good prices on them too. Hmmm...going to go check out Cabelas site see what they have, but I still really like a couple packs I saw on the site above .

Forgot to say, a while ago I put a towel over his back just to see how he acted with something back there and he walked around like he didn't even know he had something back there. So I think he'll have fun with a pack.

Old 05/05/2005, 07:42 AM
Seamonkey on my back

naw, fluffy wuffy is the wife's mule. all he can carry
is his spoiled attitude and a few fleas...

Rick
Old 05/05/2005, 07:32 PM
Dino - Victim of Women

I'm really liking this pack here...

Probably a little more than I need but I figure its like lights, get what you really want first that way you don't end up going through a bunch of "junk" and spend 5x's the money on what you wanted to start with. I'm trying to find reviews on it ( I almost always try to find reviews for EVERYTHING I buy, guess I don't like to waste money) but haven't been coming up with much.

After spending all this time looking through online "outdoor" sites I feel like going camping...

Old 05/05/2005, 08:36 PM
the roof is not a table

Keep in mind, just like in a pack made for humans, the bigger the pack the more crap you can stick in it = the more crap you will stick in it.

My lab loved his, what lab wouldn't, so he would always carry his own water and food for day trip 14'rs in CO. Just don't overweight them.
Old 05/10/2005, 06:16 AM
Dino - Victim of Women

Well I ordered the one above yesterday, says it should be here sometime next week. I'll post a picture of him in it when it gets here. I'm really excited and I think Harley will like it too...give him something to do when he's out with us working besides laying under the truck bored or pestering the cat ( yes the cat follows us to work too...).

Old 05/19/2005, 07:16 AM
Dino - Victim of Women

Got the pack Monday, just finally got around this morning to taking some pictures.

So far I really like it, seems to be built really well. Has two big pockets and a little mesh pocket up on top of the one pocket, the straps are all padded, and it rides really well. I haven't been putting anything in it yet (outside a couple doggy treats) but so far I have no trouble with it sliding to one side or the other. Also both sides have straps so you can sinch the pockets down, that way they aren't hanging down in the way when they don't need to be. Harley is still a little scared of it (he's scared of most "new" things) but he's getting better around it. I've been putting it on him every morning for our walks, so he'll get used to it. He'll eventually realize that "when those pesky humans put this thing on me it means I'm going to get treats and have FUN!!!!"

Old 05/19/2005, 07:50 AM
Registered Member

That looks like a great fit! As he starts to get more and more comfortable with it he'll love having a job to do. I love how he checks in with you in that last pic. It's a herding dog thing and I can't wait to see it in my aussie. My beagles only check in to see if i dropped any food!! You are doing great-I want agility equip. pics!!

In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog. - Edward Hoagland
Old 05/19/2005, 07:57 AM
Seamonkey on my back

that last pic looks more like 'i'm gonna pee in your
ear while your sleeping for making me wear this"

Rick
Old 05/19/2005, 08:21 AM
Dino - Victim of Women

Funny you should mention peeing. Before I got the pack I was really worried the the back strap was...um, going to be in the way. No problems though!

I'm still working on building a dog walk, I got all the boards just got get some PVC to build some stands. Probably be a project for next week (busy this weekend).

Edit: Just to add to that (had to go do something) going to be going to a graduation this weekend. And they have a dog so I'll try to get some of Harley playing with his buddy this weekend

Last edited by dinoman; 05/19/2005 at 08:32 AM.
Old 05/19/2005, 10:21 AM
Registered Member

Dino-i meant to tell you if you go on the AKC.org website and poke around somewhere on there they have an agility booklet you can order that has all the official rules and regs for AKC agility (UKC, NADAC, NDAA are all different). It costs something aroun 2$ but it'll have all the info you need!

Old 05/19/2005, 11:11 AM
Registered Member

wow, that looks perfect!! it's obvious from harley's expression that he's already having some fun with it. you're gonna LOVE this, soooo much fun!

are you doing agility??? i'm in the process of having mr. nina build me some jumps, a tire obstacle, dog walk, teeter totter. gonna order a tunnel somewhere along the way.
Old 05/19/2005, 11:12 AM
Dino - Victim of Women

Thanks! Will have to go look for it cause I have no idea what all the rules are (might have to try a google search and see if somebody has a .pdf of it up).

Forgot to comment on him checking in with me. That's one of the reasons I went with a herding breed! (well and any other group just isn't a "ranch dog"). On our walks he makes sure to look every few feet to see where I am!

The rabbits around here are going to be in good shape! He likes to try and herd them (well chase 'em) if he was a little bit faster he might be able to turn them. Just chases them out of the genral area, pretty lousy at finding them if he can't see them though.

Old 05/19/2005, 11:17 AM
Dino - Victim of Women

Quote:
Originally posted by Ninapearl
wow, that looks perfect!! it's obvious from harley's expression that he's already having some fun with it. you're gonna LOVE this, soooo much fun!

are you doing agility??? i'm in the process of having mr. nina build me some jumps, a tire obstacle, dog walk, teeter totter. gonna order a tunnel somewhere along the way.
Posted while I was typing, yep planning on learning it just for fun on a backyard course (but want to teach him how to "really" do it and follow all the rules). If he gets good enough might have to enter him as a 4-H dog sometime.

I think he will have a lot of fun with the pack once he gets used to it!

Last edited by dinoman; 05/19/2005 at 11:38 AM.
Old 05/19/2005, 11:48 AM
Eternally Discombobulated

I really like the look of that dogpack. Would be perfect for my German Shepherd...not sure about the Elkhound though. She might a hair too small. I'll have to check out that website.

Speaking of rabbits...Journey (German Shepherd) and Eden (Norweigan Elkhound) actually took down a rabbit the other day in the yard. My wife got to see it. She said it was absolutely beautiful in that "national geographic hunters of the wild" kind of way. Two herding/working dogs vs one 4lb jack rabbit. As they were rounding the pool, Eden made a perfect 90 degree turn/head snap and nailed the rabbit right in the neck...then proceeded to carry it around the yard like "look what I did!" My wife was not amused.

So naturally I had to take care of disposing of the dead body. Poor rabbit. Never had a chance.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 05/19/2005, 11:51 AM
Registered Member

Nina-check out Toys R Us for tunnels. Not kidding! Kid's play tunnels are a heck of a lot cheaper. They aren't regulation size but they are good for practicing. Only about 20-30$ vs. $200!

Old 05/19/2005, 11:54 AM
Eternally Discombobulated

Dinoman...which pack is that on your dog? The Mountainsmith Dog Pack I or III? Also, does it have the drainage holes in the bottom for if the dog takes a quick run in the pond? Or is the Mountainsmith waterproof/resistant?

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 05/19/2005, 12:01 PM
Dino - Victim of Women

Right now there isn't any way Harley could catch a rabbit (they're a lot faster than he is), not sure what he would do if he managed to catch up to one. If he would try to kill it or if he would just run over the top if it like he does the cat and his toys. Harley caught a mouse the other day, he was pretty proud of that.

I really like this pack, was $70 (with shipping) but I know he's probably not going to ever wear it out. I finally decided on this one after reading a lot of reviews and doing a lot of searchs on google groups (useful for something) on diferent packs. They make 3 different sizes of this pack, mine is the smallest (Harley only weights 30lbs, 16-17" I think at the shoulders).