Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs

Old 01/10/2008, 12:47 AM
Registered Member

thedidavid, this same thing happened to me but cracked on opposite corners. I was lucky and was home when it happened. I was able to save all my livestock. I ended up buying another Red Sea Max so I could get everything put back together. I called Red Sea and they are also sending me a replacement tank. I, like you, have no idea why it happened. You can read my thread here, http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...25&pagenumber=
Old 01/10/2008, 01:58 AM
Registered Member

That's terrible! Sorry to see it happen, especially in such a nicely aquascaped and colorful tank. I've never had one of these all-in-ones, but I assumed that they were plastic with the rounded corners and everything. Is it actually made of molded glass? Bad luck, bro, but don't get discouraged, I'm sure you'll have it back to its full splendor soon.
Old 01/10/2008, 02:00 AM
Registered Member

That's terrible! Sorry to see it happen, especially in such a nicely aquascaped and colorful tank. If it happened to mine, I'd just assume the ugly tank fairies had finally caught up with me, but yours looked so nice. I've never had one of these all-in-ones, but I assumed that they were plastic with the rounded corners and everything. Is it actually made of molded glass? Bad luck, bro, but don't get discouraged, I'm sure you'll have it back to its full splendor soon.
Old 01/10/2008, 09:12 AM
Registered Member

The tank looked awesome, very sorry to read this post this morning!
Old 01/10/2008, 11:36 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by black_majik
thedidavid- I wasn't literally meaning the tangs are what broke your glass it does happen to everyone's tank. I was poking fun at the fact you have 2 to-be large tangs in a 34. Sorry if you were offended.

By the way your tank looked absolutely beautiful ( aside from the tangs) Sorry for the accident the "ouch" was supposed to mean that i guess it came out the wrong way.
No offense taken.
Old 01/10/2008, 11:50 AM
Registered Member

Yes bro, I saw your thread 2 days ago someone from local forum inform me that similar accident happen with RSM tank. I got prompt replacement the next days after I inform the shop that sold me the tank and I sent email to Red Sea HQ in Asia-Pacific they also promised to give me starter kit but they never deliver or contact me again after they sent the tank yesterday. I also can't explain what causing this tank to crack considering it has 8mm thick glass. I was so paranoia with water going to my floor that's the reason I dump my NC24 and get RSM imho it has much better specification and I am using hollow fiber glass fake live rock that the whole setup weight less than 2lb to prevent straining the glass base. Only to found out my worst nightmare came true 2 days ago. Now my replacement tank is in cycling mode maybe I need 1-2 weeks minimum before the tank ready for LS.
Old 01/10/2008, 02:46 PM
Registered Member

I was lucky because I was home, I was able to safe about half the tank water and the LFS gave me some water also. I was able to get everything back in the new tank and so far everything has been fine. I did do a 10% water change yesterday but I think I will be ok. It scared me also, I have been worried that it will happen again, RedSea said they had a couple with this problem but it wasn't a common problem, they believe the glass was just weak? I wish you the best in your tank recovery.
Old 01/10/2008, 05:59 PM
Registered Member

shramj & thedidavid -

Would you mind posting your serial numbers? Perhaps we can check with RSM to see if they were assembled or the glass was "cast" in a similar time frame.
Old 01/10/2008, 11:00 PM
Registered Member

Elmar;
GREAT Request! Folks, can you please post your serial #s'.
Best of Luck-Jerry
Old 01/10/2008, 11:07 PM
Excuse My French...

Hey thedidavid,

You had a beautiful setup and I can understand the pain...

Red Sea is shipping you a new MAX and I am sure you will rebuild a gorgeous tank.

Cheers,
Laurent
Old 01/11/2008, 01:34 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by shramj
I was lucky because I was home, I was able to safe about half the tank water and the LFS gave me some water also. I was able to get everything back in the new tank and so far everything has been fine. I did do a 10% water change yesterday but I think I will be ok. It scared me also, I have been worried that it will happen again, RedSea said they had a couple with this problem but it wasn't a common problem, they believe the glass was just weak? I wish you the best in your tank recovery.
Mine almost 2/3 of water leak out from the tank. The living room flooded but not as bad as in my master bedroom behind the tank.
Sometime I just still feel there is some luck the water not completely dry otherwise none of my fishes will survive.

Last edited by thedidavid; 01/11/2008 at 01:42 AM.
Old 01/11/2008, 01:46 AM
Registered Member

Bro JB23 & Elmar,
I didn't keep record of the tank serial no, the damaged tank had been collected by them on Wed.
I will check my warranty card wheter any info there.
David
Old 01/11/2008, 10:22 PM
Registered Member

Awesome looking tank before the crack. Do you think you could post some pics of the inside of your cabinet? I would love to see how you arranged your mods.
Old 01/11/2008, 10:36 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by black_majik
Ouch, that was probably the tangs trying to get out. Choose better livestock now the fish gods were not happy
So this guys loses his fish, tank AND likely has hundreds of dollars in damage...to his apartment and his wallet...and you make a stupid joke.

I love the people in this hobby.
Old 01/11/2008, 10:38 PM
Registered Member

To the original poster.

Your tank looked excellent. The tang was a perfect fit IMO...colors matched perfectly. Best of luck with restocking.