Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion

Old 12/24/2007, 06:42 PM
Registered Member

what koralis powerheads to get

I am looking to get some more flow for the tank, its a 120 5 ft long, i dont want crazy flow but what size would be good to put at opposit ends aiming angled to the front glass.
Old 12/24/2007, 07:02 PM
Premium Member

you should aim for 20 to 40 times the tank volume in gph.
that puts you at 2400 for 20 times.
The korilias #4 are 1250 gph--two of those at oppoite ends of the tank would be great.
I am running the same thing with my 120 but I added a korilia # 1 near the surface to agitate the surface water. I felt I need this because everything--#4's and loc lines were pushing down.

Korilias:
#1 450 gpw
#2 650 gph
# 3 850 gph
#4 1250 gph
Old 12/24/2007, 08:08 PM
Registered Member

what do you mean loc lines,
Old 12/24/2007, 08:09 PM
Registered Member

lines of current?
Old 12/24/2007, 09:23 PM
Registered Member

I think loclines are exit plumbimg fixtures that most likely are attached to a return line or mabe a closed loop. As for the Koralias a couple 4s or mabea few threes are not a bad idea.
Old 12/24/2007, 09:34 PM
Moved On

I would say 2 #4's and 1 #3
Old 12/24/2007, 09:35 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mg426
I think loclines are exit plumbimg fixtures that most likely are attached to a return line or mabe a closed loop. As for the Koralias a couple 4s or mabea few threes are not a bad idea.
my return lines (maybe a cdn term or something) they are accordian like so you can bend them and redirect them--LOL

Old 12/24/2007, 09:42 PM
Registered Member

I put 3 korali 2s on a 75, with return pump and a maxijet also in tank. Im wishing at this point I had gone with 3 koralia 3s. I am planning to add a Koralia 4 to my problematic end of the tank, and move the 2 that is there to the other end to spread the flow there better.
Old 12/24/2007, 10:56 PM
Premium Member

Two Korillla 4s will be fine.

Could add more if you wanted but I would start with two 4s.

HTH
Old 12/25/2007, 09:49 PM
Registered Member

Excuse me. Can you tell me about this powerhead? Is it something new? I have not heard of it before, and where can I look at the specks on them?
Thank you
Old 12/25/2007, 09:56 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by thegheco
Excuse me. Can you tell me about this powerhead? Is it something new? I have not heard of it before, and where can I look at the specks on them?
Thank you
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...5&pcatid=15955
Old 12/25/2007, 10:00 PM
Registered Member

Thanks Gary, I just went there and found they are called Koralia pumps, and are on sale.
I have a 120 gallon and have problems with detris (sp)? behind the rock work, what size of these would be best to get to lay down at the bottom of the tank just up off the sand to push it all towards the middle where the filter is?
I don't want to stir up the sand with them.
I have Seio pumps on it now, 3 total, but they only blow down or ahead, I would like to get the Koralia to push along the bottom of the tank.
Would these work for what I am wanting? And what size would you all suggest?
Thanks
Old 12/25/2007, 10:18 PM
Premium Member

You don't want these things near the sand bed. I have three K4s. Two pointing at each other from each end of the tank and another one pointing the same direction as one of the opposing Powerheads. Will add another opposing when I get the chance.

With my set up there is a lot of flow and the sand bed has been relocated by the powerful currents.

The only lack of really strong flow is in the back corners of my AGA120, because of the drain towers, I think. This could be resolved with a couple MJ 1200s

HTH
Old 12/25/2007, 10:26 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by thegheco
Thanks Gary, I just went there and found they are called Koralia pumps, and are on sale.
I have a 120 gallon and have problems with detris (sp)? behind the rock work, what size of these would be best to get to lay down at the bottom of the tank just up off the sand to push it all towards the middle where the filter is?
I don't want to stir up the sand with them.
I have Seio pumps on it now, 3 total, but they only blow down or ahead, I would like to get the Koralia to push along the bottom of the tank.
Would these work for what I am wanting? And what size would you all suggest?
Thanks
Like Gary said I would'nt use these any place but the top half of the tank. I use a MJ1200 behind my rocks toward the bottom and it works great. The koralias are great for a good wide flow patern but you want somthing more concentrated for behind your rocks IMHO.
Old 12/25/2007, 10:33 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for this information. I have very fine white sand and it blows around badly with the slightest movement by either fish or powerhead.
Do you think even the smallest of the Koralia would be out of the question? Or do they have to much push also?
I really need something that works with a magnet so that I don't have to try and either suspend or mount from the rim of the tank.
The magnet would work great, I just need it small enough to not make a snowstorm.
Old 12/25/2007, 10:39 PM
Premium Member

The Koralia 4s work great for me. Sounds like your sand bed is still a little young if it blows around. The K1s are very weak. Don't know what would be best for your situation.

Try the search function for the Koralias and you can be better informed.

HTH
Old 12/25/2007, 10:45 PM
Registered Member

The koralias have the little cone that goes over the front and helps to direct the flow in a bit narower pattern. I have not used the covers on mine so im not sure how much differance they would make???
Old 12/26/2007, 03:33 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bkoz
The koralias have the little cone that goes over the front and helps to direct the flow in a bit narower pattern. I have not used the covers on mine so im not sure how much differance they would make???
the covers help create the turbulant flow----besides one just has to witness a nice elegant wrasse swimming into the the bare turbo to realize how good the covers are
Old 12/26/2007, 09:00 PM
Registered Member

I have 6 5s running in my tanks now probably 6 months no problems really put out some flow. and you can buy 10 of them fore the price of a tunzee 6200 that doesant last. one of our major dealers has a great sales price running right now doctor
Old 12/26/2007, 09:15 PM
Registered Member

Is your tank SPS, if so, I would go with 2 number 4s. I have a five ft tank with one number 4 with a wavebox and the Korallia blows from one end to the other very strong. My tank is all SPS too. I've read that someone posted using those disco light controllers to do a wave effect with the Korallias too.
Old 12/26/2007, 09:52 PM
Registered Member

I have a 6 ft sps with 4 5ks and a 7 ft softie tank with 2 5s bought 3 more have not had time to put them in. thinking about getting 5 more for my 10 ft fish only tank just been waiting to see how these worked out. Am really happy so far especially considering the price I mean you can get the 5s right now for about 45
Old 12/26/2007, 10:09 PM
Registered Member

thanks all, i will probably get two 4's and aim them at each other and bounce the current off the front of the glass, see how the flow is, i think my return pump is a quiet one 6000 series
Old 12/27/2007, 12:11 AM
Registered Member

HI Gary, well, my tank is close to 4 years old now but I have southdown sand on the bottom.
And I have a fish that burrys in it at night to sleep. He also nose dives into it when frightened and digs in it during the day.
So some days it keeps the tank stirred up.
So it is very loose with no chance of critters growing in it because of the turn over by this crazy fish.
Old 12/27/2007, 09:02 AM
Registered Member

How well do these Koralia's stick to the glass and are they fairly silent? One of my biggest headaches in my tank is vibration noise and having to mod power heads with mag floats.
Old 12/27/2007, 09:47 AM
Registered Member

I have 2 of the Koralia 3's in my 100 gallon. I have had no problems with sound or the magnets. I have had no vibration noise (my tank is acrylic-is yours glass?)I am a big fan of this product.