Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Lounge
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/12/2006, 01:04 AM
Registered Member

My Fish Is Sick

HI I AM NEW TO THIS SITE, I HAVE 4 IRREDECENT SHARKS, 5 TIGER BARBS, 2 BALA SHARKS, AND TWO BLUE GUARAMI'S, I JUST NOTICED TONIGHT THAT ONE OF MY IRREDECENTS HAS A CLUSTER OF WHITE STUFF ON HIS SIDE, AND SOME IS ON HIS FINS, I LOOKED ONLINE TO SEE IF IT WAS ICK, OR COTTON FUNGUS, BUT FROM THE PICTURES I SEEN AND COMPARING IT TO WHAT MY FISH HAS, I DON'T KNOW WHAT MINE HAS, AND I'M AFRAID BECAUSE I WANT TO HELP HIM BUT I DON'T KNOW WHAT THIS IS! PLEASE HELP! MY EMAIL IS PRINCESSNIKKI2505@YAHOO.COM, I AM NOT ABLE TO SEND ANY PICTURES OF THIS SO I WILL DO THE BEST I CAN TO DESCRIBE IT, IT'S LIKE RAISED WHITE SPOTS, BUT THEY AREN'T ALL OVER LIKE SPRINKLED SALT, IT'S JUST ONE CLUSTER OF THEM, AND THEN THERE ARE THE SAME THING ON THE BOTTOM OF HIS FINS, I CHECKED THE PH LEVEL, IT WAS QUITE ACIDIC SO I TOOK CARE OF THAT, THE PH LEVEL IS GETTING TO WHERE IT NEEDS TO BE, THE TEMP OF THE WATER IS WHERE IT NEEDS TO BE, IT'S AT 74 RIGHT NOW, THE TANK COULD DEFINATELY USE A CLEANING, IT'S BEEN QUITE A FEW WEEKS SINCE THE TANK HAS BEEN CLEANED, I HAVE ALL THE EQUIPMENT I HAVE JUST BEEN A BAD FISH OWNER AND WAS LAZY ABOUT IT.
THEY HAVE FAKE PLANTS AND SOME FISH TANK DECOR', AND NO NEW FISH HAVE BEEN PUT IN LATELY, THE LAST NEW ONES THAT WERE PUT IN WAS THE BEGINNING OF THIS SUMMER, I ALSO HAVE A PLECOSTOMUS TOO.
I REALLY DON'T WANT MY FISH TO DIE, BUT I JUST DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO, I'M SO SCARED FOR THEM, BECAUSE I CAN SEE THAT ANOTHER ONE IS STARTING TO GET THE BUMPS TOO, SO I DON'T KNOW WHAT IS GOING ON IN THERE!
Old 10/12/2006, 04:39 AM
Registered Member

well i'm not sure i'm getting ready for work, so at least for now get the pH to 7-7.5 do a large water change and then head to you nearest LFS. Call them first and if they can't tell from your description (they probably should) possibly take the fish with you.

There were plenty of fish in the sea, but i wasn't ready to hang up my tacklebox.
Old 10/12/2006, 05:17 AM
Monkeys Rule once more

Hi Nikki, hopefully someone will move this to the correct forum, although we are mainly salt water, someone should be able to help you?