Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Lounge
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/11/2006, 05:07 PM
Premium Member

Exclamation Doggie advice needed

Hi All - Well our potty training adventures continue. We have been keepy Fuzzy in the spare bath with a puppy pad. He has taken to chewing up the pad and pooped twice this week in the bathroom, and then well consuming parts of it.

So, today was our first day of crating him during the day. Is is left no more than 4 hours at a time with one of us coming home for lunch and taking him out etc.

I came home tonight to find a nice big fresh pee on his bedding, in the cage. I'm worried aobut it to be honest. The cage is admittaly to large, but the only other option is the pet taxi which is more apporpriate but he is not used to it.

So, I'm at an impass. Wait to see how tomorrow goes, put him in the smalled crate tomorrow, try to jerry rig some kind of deal that makes his exiting cage much smaller.

I need help !

On a positive note, he went to the door yesterday for the first time asking to be let out to wee wee and he hasn't had an accident on the carpet in almost a week....good fuzzy, take a treat...ha
Old 10/11/2006, 05:10 PM
Moved In

LOL, we had a pom that took a year to housebreak. We ended up keeping her locked up in the kitchen and a crate at night. We started calling her kitchen dog. Then one day she finally 'got' it.

Powertripping~is that a song or a dance?

RC Lounge~Humor Questionable ~Enter At Own Risk!
Old 10/11/2006, 05:11 PM
Premium Member

Ha, I honestly think he held it till I walked in.
Old 10/11/2006, 05:13 PM
Registered Member

the crate that i bought had an extra piece that could be used to make the crate smaller or bigger. if you can make his section of crate just big enough for him to lay down in. that way if he goes he will have to lay in it. soon he will learn not to go where he sleeps. also he should be old enough to go for 4 hours but don't push time limits too soon.

There were plenty of fish in the sea, but i wasn't ready to hang up my tacklebox.
Old 10/11/2006, 05:43 PM
Premium Member

Well, I just made his crate smaller. It said it came with an extra piece, but alas I couldn't find it. However, I was lucky enough to find a plastic top for a file drawer the exact dimenions....talk about luck. I drilled it and used zip ties to secure it.

He now fits length wise, but barely. The door hits his little be hind, ha. I think once he gets used to the new plastic it will work well.
Old 10/11/2006, 05:46 PM
Registered Member

that should do it.

There were plenty of fish in the sea, but i wasn't ready to hang up my tacklebox.
Old 10/11/2006, 06:10 PM
An EEEVEEEL veterinarian?

Quote:
Originally posted by Josh125
Well, I just made his crate smaller. It said it came with an extra piece, but alas I couldn't find it. However, I was lucky enough to find a plastic top for a file drawer the exact dimenions....talk about luck. I drilled it and used zip ties to secure it.

He now fits length wise, but barely. The door hits his little be hind, ha. I think once he gets used to the new plastic it will work well.
Sounds like you're on the right track.
Old 10/11/2006, 06:24 PM
Registered Member

Are you rewarding it when it does go outside? like point at it and get all excited for him. and when it gos inside, get a scary tone of voice and point and make him smell it, then kinda shun him for a few minutes.

Puppys are rough no doubt! Mine was made to stay in the kitchen while we were gone.... I dont recommend it.... He ate almost the entire vinal floor. he also ate holes thru the wals (at nose level!) tables, controlers, cupboard doors. I lost all hope for him. But he did 'get it' eventually.

Its funny, because my older dog still FREAKS out after he poops. Hes 7 years old and as soon as hes done with his business he'll run as fast as he can to us and jump up and bark its really funny.

And I can use that 'tone' of voice and say ANYTHING and they lay down immediately and get that 'cute' look lol

We dident cage train either of our dogs, but were very vidulant on not being gone more than 3 hours or so.

Itll get it dont worry

-Had to find some higher ground, had some fear to get around-
Old 10/11/2006, 06:26 PM
Eternally Discombobulated

I'm surprised no one told you that sooner. But yes you are on the right track now. Get plenty of zip ties....you will need to slowly increase the area he has in the crate until you can finally remove the whole thing. The dog should have just enough room to enter and lay down comfortably. Don't cramp him too badly. Remember, this should also be a happy place for him as it is "his" and you want him comfy to be in there.

Otherwise, keep on rockin. Oh, and nip that poo eating thing in the bud now. Otherwise, well, save the doggie kisses for folks you don't like (like the in-laws or someone).

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 10/11/2006, 06:49 PM
Premium Member

Thanks, I think we have things lined out. Honestly, no matter how many books you read and get advice having the little guy is sooo very much different.
I've never had a pet before, let alone a puppy so I'm on a steep learning curve! Jill has had one before, however left for college shortly after her parents got it, so she is right there with me.

Overall, the fuzz man is doing well. As soon as his shots are up to snuff, off he goes to puppy classes.