Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/03/2006, 12:19 AM
Registered Member

# of fish

what is a good number of fish they say 5gal for every inch of fish does this apply to all fish or is this based on swimming room and teritorial needs
i have 8 fish in my 75g that all do very well and thrive
yellow tang 3-4 in
hippo tang 3-4 in
spotted hawk fish 2-3 in
long nose hawk fish 2-3 in
fire fish 2-3 in
dotty back 2-3 in
gold stripe maroon 3-4 in
perc clown 2-3 in
is this way to much the hawks swim very little the fire fish and the dotty back hide in the rock work alot and my moaroon clown doesnt leave his bta very offten my two tangs swim back and forth through the rock what are your opinions on this any advice do in need to stop going to the fish store till i get a bigger tank

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Old 06/03/2006, 12:23 AM
Registered Member

I've read everything from 1" per 4 gal untill established (6mo+) then 1" per 2 gal is acceptable (all fish should be measured by thier adult size, not current), to 1" per 10 gal unless you have accessory "XYZ"

Not really sure what is "right" but as long as you go slow and monitor the tank well, you should know when enough is enough. (and make sure everyone will play well together)
Old 06/03/2006, 12:25 AM
Registered Member

erm, I may be crazy...but I read somewwhere that Hippo Tangs needs a much bigger tank?

I have a pair of false percula clowns that never leave their cave unless their chasing another fish away from it or eating...I was told this was normal.
Old 06/03/2006, 12:28 AM
Registered Member

yes hippos do get big and im planning my large 300 g now and i got it free from my lfs due to him being very sick and small when i got him he now is great and growing fast thanks for the advise
Old 06/03/2006, 12:33 AM
Registered Member

I'm glad to know I was finally right about something! I've only been playing with saltwater for 7-8 months now...

Its great that you were able to help the poor fishie though!

My LFS sucks. Half the fish look pretty sad, and they have some huge glass anemones in their display tanks...wish I could take some of those fish home and try to get them healthy
Old 06/03/2006, 12:37 AM
Registered Member

ya my lfs is not the best and im most of the reason he is still in buisness when i got him 2 months ago he was the size of a quarter now he is 3-4 in or better