Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > Corallimorpharians
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/07/2007, 12:11 AM
Registered Member

I don't order in the winter for this exact reason, I've had horrid luck with heat packs not working well enough for the weather, I stop ordering in Nov, shouldn't done it sooner as my last order from reefscience came in with no heat packs and I lost 3 out of 4 corals and they don't have the great guarentee LA has. Now I won't order again till it's at least 50 degrees or higher which is a long way away. It'll save me some money though.
Old 12/07/2007, 09:38 AM
Registered Member.

Sucks for sure, I wouldn't drip acclimate anything coral wise especially in the winter if the water gets cold it suppresses ammonia while it is good for oxygen. I would just temp acclimate and place in tank or QT tank. That is what I have done through out the past winter and summer months with 0 losses to date. Heat packs are good but if the box is sealed air tight or almost air tight the heat pack will stop working as it uses up the oxygen in the box......You might have been better to just temp acclimate the rics then doing the drip acclimation as well.....JMHO.
Old 12/08/2007, 09:25 PM
Registered Member

cool rics!