Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > Corallimorpharians
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/09/2006, 03:14 PM
Registered Member

So I guess the question is if they colors keep AFTER they acclimate to the tank. So we need to find pics of those. =)
Old 06/09/2006, 03:16 PM
| ~ |

Colors are really washed out because of the glare and photography skills...

Here's the link. Gives you sort of an idea. It's the Nov 05 TOTM...

http://www.totm.aquariumpros.ca/TOTM/archives/index.shtml

Also, check out pg. 2, there a Canadian reefer who posted a pic of his rics. They aren't like RR photobucket, but still really nice IMO.
Old 06/09/2006, 03:18 PM
Registered Member

link didn't work
Old 06/09/2006, 03:21 PM
Registered Member

that's a lot of rics, but I don't see any uncommon morphs in his tank.
Old 06/09/2006, 03:21 PM
Registered Member

I just typed out the main link then go to totm nov2005.
Old 06/09/2006, 03:23 PM
| ~ |

Sorry. You'll have to do it manually.

Go to aquariumpros.ca

Click Tank of the Month

Click Previous Tanks

Scroll down to Nov 2005 TOTM
Old 06/09/2006, 03:26 PM
| ~ |

Yellow, pink, orange, blue/orange. These are some pretty nice rics. Dunno, seemed pretty nice to me? I think most of the pics are washed out, but there seems to be some quality rics in there.
Old 06/09/2006, 03:29 PM
Registered Member

hmm but I see those at other online sites and local fish stores, just not recently. I have seen all of those morphs somewhere in the US. No point shipping them from Canada if you can get them here. =)
Old 06/09/2006, 03:41 PM
Registered Member

where in the states can you get these quality rics online (not ebay) with a reasonable price tag???
Old 06/09/2006, 03:43 PM
| ~ |

Right! That's why we need RR to ship these to us: (pictures taken from RR photobucket and aquariumpros.ca postings! Not mine!)

Old 06/09/2006, 03:50 PM
Registered Member

You got it hceiv!

lfs has those morphs in every once in a while. And ebay used to have some crazy morphs back a couple years ago. Nowadays it's the typical orange/green/blues.
Old 06/09/2006, 03:53 PM
Registered Member

oops didn't see the word online. I used to purchase a bunch of nice ones from ecorals but they have closed down their online website. liveaquaria has some pretty nice ones now as well. Check out atlantisaquarium for some nice yumas.
Old 06/09/2006, 03:55 PM
Registered Member

some shop online like reefscience can get the same rics as reef raft, they are not the only shop in the world with this product
Old 06/09/2006, 03:55 PM
Registered Member

i have a hard time with yumas, they slowly melt away
Old 06/09/2006, 04:05 PM
| ~ |

floridas are much easier to keep. and as you can see from the above posts, their colors can be just as vibrant!
Old 06/09/2006, 06:04 PM
Registered Member

I check reefscience pretty often. I do not beleive they have those colors that RR has.
Old 06/09/2006, 08:45 PM
Moved On

I am always interested in beautiful rics. There easy to propagate. No reason not to have some and trade later. Would be interested in an order. Local wholesaler, when he get’s the orange/blue, tricolors are $18 to 22 each
Old 06/09/2006, 09:31 PM
Registered Member

I signed up to aquariumpros. Guess I have to keep an eye out over there to see when new shipments come in.
Old 06/09/2006, 09:38 PM
Registered Member

The cuban government was only allowing ricordea collection in one area until very recent. Two more collection sites have been approved by the Cuban government. We will be seeing new varieties from these new locations in a month or two.

In order for US citizens to legally import Cuban ricordea from Canada, it would have to be ricordea grown in Canada from Cuban stock. On top of that you would need a CITES permit from the Canadian government in order to import it into the US.

The US government embargo penalties are as follows "Criminal penalties for violation of the Regulations range up to $1,000,000 in fines for corporations, $250,000 for individuals and up to 10 years in prison. Civil penalties of up to $65,000 per violation may be imposed by OFAC."

The true colours are very nice, but the RR images are photoshopped in my opinion.
Old 06/11/2006, 01:11 PM
| ~ |

mr.wilson,

Thanks for your input. I know that the penalties are severe, that's why I was interested in doing this legally.

That's encouraging news about the new collection sites. How lucky you are to live in Canada! So, you think that there will be new and wilder color morphs entering your market soon?

You are a competitor with RR, is that correct? Have you personally seen their ricordea florida stock to make a comparison between what they have and what is photographed on their site and photobucket site? Or, do you think their photos are photoshopped just by looking at them? I ask because it would be very helpful to hear an opinion from someone who has actually seen their stock, as opposed to pure speculation by observation of their photos. Others who have seen and purchased their ricordeas have posted earlier, and the consensus was that the ricordea photos are accurate and untouched. How did you come to your conclusions?

Just curious, Thanks!
Old 06/11/2006, 09:54 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by hceiv
mr.wilson,

Thanks for your input. I know that the penalties are severe, that's why I was interested in doing this legally.

That's encouraging news about the new collection sites. How lucky you are to live in Canada! So, you think that there will be new and wilder color morphs entering your market soon?

You are a competitor with RR, is that correct? Have you personally seen their ricordea florida stock to make a comparison between what they have and what is photographed on their site and photobucket site? Or, do you think their photos are photoshopped just by looking at them? I ask because it would be very helpful to hear an opinion from someone who has actually seen their stock, as opposed to pure speculation by observation of their photos. Others who have seen and purchased their ricordeas have posted earlier, and the consensus was that the ricordea photos are accurate and untouched. How did you come to your conclusions?

Just curious, Thanks!
It's hard to say what will be found in the two new collection sites. As in all marine environments, each geographical region will have its own endemic fauna. Countries like Indonesia and The Philippines have a huge variety only because they collect from a diverse cross section of habitats. Cuba is a huge country. I'd like to see what else they have under the sea. They have some nice varieties of Rhodactis sanctithomae and paradiscosoma neglecta, but these are readily available in the U.S. on Haitian lettuce rock. We can only hope that new (colorful) varieties are found. That's part of the fun.

I do custom aquarium installations and my clients are mostly interior designers, so I'm not a competitor of Reef Raft. In fact they are a supplier of mine, as they do wholesale sales as well as retail. I've never been to their store on the same day as a Cuban ricordea shipment, so I can't comment on what they get in. I do however have a 20 year business relationship with two exporters in Cuba, and I have seen the ricordea that the local wholesaler, and other retailers get from there. I know Reef Raft buys from the same supplier, but it's entirely possible that they have an alternative source, possibly even from another country.

I have seen those colour morphs that they have on their site and I have purchased them for a few of my clients. They are clearly the nicest varieties available, as I stated in previous posts. My comment regarding the images being photoshopped, was only based on my experiences with ricordea available from Cuba, reports from local hobbyists, and my knowledge of photography. I've been in the aquarium business for 20 years, and the only job I've had out of the business in that time was as a colourizer of black and white movies. The images that RR posted aren't "colorized". The true colours are as they appear; however, they appear to have a contrast shift and are perhaps darkened. There's nothing wrong with this practice as it's the industry standard.

That's what they look like when they're closed, but once they open up they fade a little. When they're stressed they aren't open like they are in the pictures. Stress only creates more mucous which is a milky colour, not pigmented with UV blocking agents that fluoresce.

Our local marine forums are www.aquariumpros.ca and www.reefescape.ca. You will find lots of ricordea photos in the forum. There are some nice photos in this thread in particular... http://www.aquariumpros.ca/forums/sh...ight=show+rics
Old 06/12/2006, 02:03 PM
Registered Member

I've seen both of these in person at RR. They were in the show tank there, so I have no doubt that they are the "creme of the crop". These pictures are pretty accurate. I haven't seen any of the others in person.

Old 06/12/2006, 02:56 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Cellenzweig
I've seen both of these in person at RR. They were in the show tank there, so I have no doubt that they are the "creme of the crop". These pictures are pretty accurate. I haven't seen any of the others in person.

You can see that those polyps are kind of tight, not 'closed', but not fully inflated either. I think the colours are more saturated when they are in this state. This doesn't mean that they are fake or photoshopped or anything but things always look different when you get them home.
Old 06/12/2006, 02:57 PM
Registered Member

I would like a polyp of the ricordia colony in the first pic please.
Old 06/13/2006, 02:24 AM
Registered Member

i want that first polyp too, look like candy.....