Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > Corallimorpharians
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/03/2006, 01:20 PM
Waste Management

N/P they are very nice none the less.
Old 06/04/2006, 02:41 PM
Moved On

Reefraft deff gets great stuff. I wish we could get it here in the US.
Old 06/04/2006, 03:32 PM
Registered Member

dumb question

it never hurts to ask, so here goes. can you not corals shipped in from canada?
Old 06/07/2006, 11:16 AM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by Azurel
Looks like photo-shop to me or deceptive lighting.....If not I want some of those pink and white ones.......Although the orange and green would be sweet too. Like I said in my post I could be wrong too, I don't have first hand experience diving for them....I would have to see it first hand in my tank...
Quote:
This stuff kills me. "There are a few landlocked people who only see a very select color arrangement of ricordia. I am luck enough to live in Florida & dive the waters around here (So i might see a few more things that the people who live in the mid-west will never see."

Next time you are diving take us a photo. Or should I just tell you to say hi to Victor, Bruce, Bob and Marcus the next time you are in Miami picking out your ricordia.

The Reef Raft photos are shopped. No ifs ands or buts. Funny that the photos are from a supplier in Canada. I am sure they get it right from the diver in Haiti when he returns to the dock.

You can do anything with a photo
There is NO photoshop or deceptive lighting on these photos. Everything is taken under 20K XM and the photo was taken when we first received the shipment... thus, everything is under stress.

The colors of corals comes out and displays its brightness/intensity when the coral is stress.... wouldn't you agree????

Here are some more sample photos....

http://s31.photobucket.com/albums/c3...ction/?start=0

Look at Bryan's pictures, the background is the same color as the Ricordea.... thats photoshopped. You have to it to believe it, before accusing someone. I should have a shipment coming real soon.... and I'm inviting you to come here to see.

Just look at our galleries... do you think these are photshopped?

http://www.reefraft.ca/ourgallery.asp

Thanks

Last edited by jenz; 06/07/2006 at 11:51 AM.
Old 06/07/2006, 11:30 AM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by Azurel
From what I understand this info was coming from a large supplier of Florida ricordea, that there is no real such thing as a true red ricordea just a different color form of orange, and there is no true yellow in the sense of canary yellow or like likeness of the range of colors in yellow. If you see one that looks yellow most likely it is a bleached green ricordea, which the true color may or may not come back. All I can say is in the 22 years of reefing I have never seen a Florida ricordea that I said "Damn that's red or WOW that's yellow". That's also not to say I couldn't be wrong I have just never seen it or have anybody that is in the "know" tell me they have seen them.
You are right... THERE IS NO REAL RED OR YELLOW RICORDEA. HOWEVER, THERE IS A PINKISH COLOR, LILAC THAT WE HAVE SEEN MANY TIMES. THE REDS AND YELLOWS ARE BLEACHED BECAUSE THEY ARE STRESSED, THUS, THE COLOR THAT SHOWS. CORALS ALSO REACT TO DIFFERENT LIGHTING, DIFFERENT CAMERAS ETC.

thank you.
Old 06/07/2006, 11:58 AM
Registered Member

I happen to live right near Reef Raft and have bought lots of ricordia from them as I am sure they will agree. They get some of the most unusual colors I have ever seen.

I admit I was skeptical at first but after going to the store for the first time when I saw the pictures they are 100% accurate. They actually look even better in person than in the pictures.

Derek
Old 06/07/2006, 12:10 PM
Registered Member

Yup being from T.O. I see those Ric's when they come in. No photoshopping in here.

Do agree with Estey. They look even better in person. They change colour depending on your lighting.
Old 06/07/2006, 12:24 PM
Registered Member

JENZ Do you get them from Cuba? That may be why we don't see those color morphs in the US.

Bryan
Old 06/07/2006, 12:51 PM
Registered Member

RR definitely does not photoshop their stuff....trust me on this...I shop there all the time and what I see in the pics is what I see in their tanks.

Cuban rics are usually what we get up here in Toronto (via ReefRaft)....it's always a treat to check out what they bring in...i've acquired some AMAZING coloured rics over the years from them....yellows, bright green, orange, orange-pink, even purple!!!...but, alas... i'm still looking hard for a red

sucks to be an American in this regard.......you can't get the nice cigars, and now, you're missing out on some of the best coloured floridas around....bring the peace!!!! if u trade with China, why not Cuba!!!!! hahahah

Zach
Tunze 6045 & Modded MJ900
MAG 7 return via SCWD
Zoa-dominated, LPS, SPS, 4 fish
Xenia Refugium
Old 06/07/2006, 01:33 PM
Registered Member

I've gotta agree with the guys above. Reef Raft brings in some of the nicest pieces I've ever seen. And the photo's are pretty accurate...

I don't know how they do it, but these guys manage to land colonies of many of the corals you see sold as outragously priced frags in the US.
Old 06/07/2006, 01:40 PM
Registered Member

yes RR has some AMAZING corals coming in through their doors - I may add not only Rics but Zoos and acros are top-shelf quality...

T.O. is the reefers Shangri-La.... yeeeeeehaaa!!!!
Old 06/07/2006, 03:29 PM
| ~ |

Hi jenz,

I sent you a pm

Everyone, I think the experts stated above that ricordea floridas can become stressed/bleached and the colors will shift. BUT, sometimes those colors stay and you get a color that is not normal, hence the rare yellows, pinks, and purples. Also, Bryan stated in another thread that in the wild some ricordeas go through a color change, and when collected at the right time, that color will stay.

Here is an example of my yellow rics under a 96 watt quad PC, so you know the colors are true. These rics seems pretty yellow to me, but it's JMO, so whatever you think...
Old 06/07/2006, 06:09 PM
Registered Member

This is a ricordea I grabbed from RR, I know it's not super rare or anything, but this was a LEFTOVER because I ALWAYS miss out on the new shipments:

One day I'll get there in time, hopefully.
Also, I'de like to add that I'm one of the people that isn't concerned with rarity, I'm simply concerned with "wow, that's beautiful", rare or not.
Old 06/07/2006, 06:34 PM
Registered Member

Patwa is correct. They are Cuban riccordea. Tricolour (green/orange/yellow) and a light strawberry colour, are among the colour (color) varieties available.

What kind of colour morphs of riccordea did Mao Zedong offer Nixon to renew trade ties with China?

You guys will have all the riccordea you want once Castro dies. For now this is your only supplier.

http://www.nsgtmo.navy.mil/
Old 06/07/2006, 06:47 PM
Registered Member

I've noticed viewing some corals above the tank is much better than from the side view. Reef Raft shoots most of their photos from above and sometimes less than a foot deep, which I think shows better colorations. Here are all the Rics photo (side view) I've acquired from them under 2xMH 400W 20k SE, 1xMH 250W 20K DE, 2x 140W 60" Actinic 03 Blue.

Ever since the arrival of digital photography, we less appreciate the true photographer's talents. The world is spoiled in special effects. Remember when we used film cameras? and wait a week for prints to be developed?
Old 06/08/2006, 10:42 AM
Premium Member

Ok, now that we know these colors exist. Has anyone tried to propagate or cross breed or whatever to create these colors in captivity.
Old 06/09/2006, 01:15 PM
See if you can pingaso it

Does RR ship to the USA ?
Old 06/09/2006, 01:21 PM
| ~ |

No. Tried a long time ago. Atleast $200 to ship, but they are so busy with their current store and customers, they don't have time to waste on us Yankees. I'd pay double what their customers pay for some pink, red or yellows, but still no go
Old 06/09/2006, 01:26 PM
Waste Management

Bro. those colors are not just in Cuba. Cuba is only 90 miles from the Florida Keys.
Old 06/09/2006, 01:44 PM
Registered Member

This thread is very interesting to me. When I first started this hobby in 2000 ricordias were the first corals that I started collecting. ricordia flordias were not all that popular back then but they were going for 35-45 per polyp which is more than what they are going for these days. Then a few years ago people started diving for them in fl and the market got really saturated with these corals and they sell huge chunks of it on ebay and online stores. I think I have surfed every website that had floridas(that's in the US) since then and I have never seen those color morphs. I would really love to get my hands on a polyp or two of each unique color morph I see on RR. Would anyone be interested in buying a bulk order from them shipped to California? Maybe if we make it worthwhile they will ship a nice package down here to us. What do you all think? I live in Southern California.
Old 06/09/2006, 01:57 PM
| ~ |

Hi,

I tried that. But they are busy opening a new store, so they couldn't give me any attention, despite the possible thousands that I would spend with them. I think they are just a 2 man group, so they are very busy, but still....

I'm all for a group buy, but first you gotta get a hold of them and get them to ship. I'm in CA too.
Old 06/09/2006, 02:04 PM
Registered Member

do they still have those unusual morphs that's in their photo album? Because I'm checking their website and they don't have any of the interesting colors in stock. Or do they have a tank where they keep all the nice ones.

I wonder how much we will have to spend to get them to ship those down here. Maybe if we get a order worth a few thousand in they will do so. Make it worthwhile for them. =)
Old 06/09/2006, 02:07 PM
Registered Member

I would take the 8 hour drive up there and bring them back here to NJ, and ship from here, if someone can work out the details.
Old 06/09/2006, 02:13 PM
Registered Member

8 hrs is not bad at all! That's almost as long as driving to San Franciso for me. I guess question now is if it's worth all that driving/shipping. It'd only be worth it if we buy bulk and if the morphs are diff from the ones we get here in the US. Anyone know if they still have those colorful morphs?
Old 06/09/2006, 02:14 PM
| ~ |

I think those color morphs are sold within minutes of getting them in. Their local buyers arrive early at their door to get in! I think they also have a display tank for those super rare rics, but they won't sell them. Not 100% sure tho. They used to post on aquariumpros.ca all the time, but have pulled out since the new store is coming. (hope I'm not giving away too many secrets!)

Since they are moving, I heard that they won't be ordering the premium stuff until after they get settled into the new place, after summer.

Michael,

Although that would be awesome, you'd have smuggling to worry about. You'd need to get a CITES permit, which can be expensive.

I think if we could get enough interest (ie. $$$), they might listen and consider shipping to the US.

Any other ideas guys?