Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Lounge
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Should exposure to 2nd hand smoke from a parent to a child be considered child abuse
Yes 48 61.54%
No 26 33.33%
No opinion 4 5.13%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02/08/2005, 04:31 PM
Moved On

I did not want to start a smokers vs non smokers thread. I have nothing against those who want to enjoy a drag. I enjoy a cigar from time to time and know that they are much worst then a cig.

I just wanted to get everyones opinion on adults subjecting their children to 2nd hand smoke in the confined spaces of a car. Yes you can say open a window, most of the smoke goes out the window, there is enough air, etc... What if the family is in a 2 door sedan? What if it is raining or the dead of winter and opening the windows is not reasonable?

In my opinion, when a child is subjected to something that will permanently decrease their life span then it is considered abusive.

A Situation that is more comman than you would expect:

You have been living in a small community for many years with your family. A new study finds that the exhaust or drainage from a neighboring manufacturing plant are carcinogenic. So, the level of pollution in not going to kill you right now, but has the potential to make you sick enough for you to die (possibly cancer). Wouldn't you expect people to sue the company even if the company didn't know? How would things change if the comapny knew that they were exposing the area to toxic levels of pollutants? Abuse, I think so.
Old 02/08/2005, 04:59 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by Wilafur
yet you allow people to smoke in your home. hmm.

or am i reading your post incorrectly?
yes I allow people to smoke in certain areas of my home - I have 22 foot ceilings through most of my home - Tons of ventilation and Some massive windows. My husband is also a smoker - I dont force him to go outside to smoke its his home too. I supply plenty of ashtrays out on my decks and in nicer weather its generally excepted that smoking should be done outdoors without me making a big deal about it. But when its raining and cold I dont require people to go outside.

That being said There are areas of the house which smoking is just not allowed. such as areas with not so good ventilation, the kids rooms and play areas etc. No person weather smoker or non has ever accused me of being a bad mother because I allow my husband and guests to have a cigarette in certain areas of my home. It may not be the best choice - but its certainly one that in my circles is reasonable.

My Home My Rules.

All You non smokers have to go outside to chew your gum - There is No designated mint or chewing gum section in my home - all people in violation of this rule will be thrown off the deck!
Old 02/08/2005, 05:01 PM
Onizzle Rizzle

I let my kids eat sugar cereal, I sometimes take them to McDonald's, I let them play on the XBOX and watch too much TV, and I don't always make them go to Sunday School.

Even though I agree that it is not in a childs best interest to be subjected to second hand smoke, I do not think that I am qualified to throw stones.
Old 02/08/2005, 05:05 PM
Loan Shark Willy

i'm working on my certification to throw stones. yippee!
Old 02/08/2005, 05:07 PM
Moved On

you dont need to be certified to throw stones - you just need to be quick enough to dodge them when someone chucks them back at you.
Old 02/08/2005, 05:09 PM
Onizzle Rizzle

Quote:
Originally posted by Sierra
All You non smokers have to go outside to chew your gum - There is No designated mint or chewing gum section in my home - all people in violation of this rule will be thrown off the deck!
What about Nicorette?
Old 02/08/2005, 05:13 PM
Onizzle Rizzle

Quote:
Originally posted by Wilafur
i'm working on my certification to throw stones. yippee!
As soon as I finish my "Wailing and Gnashing of Teeth" certification I can start on the "Throwing Stones" program.
Old 02/08/2005, 05:15 PM
Loan Shark Willy

Quote:
you dont need to be certified to throw stones - you just need to be quick enough to dodge them when someone chucks them back at you.
i was king stud on the dodgeball court in my youth....so no worries. thanks for your concern though.
Old 02/08/2005, 05:18 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by jimwat
What about Nicorette?
well ok but only if you brought enough for everyone - otherwise off the deck you go!
Old 02/08/2005, 05:23 PM
Onizzle Rizzle

Quote:
well ok but only if you brought enough for everyone - otherwise off the deck you go!
Here you go. And assorted flavors too!

Old 02/08/2005, 05:26 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by jimwat
Here you go. And assorted flavors too!

funny thing is - good friend just quit smoking by using this stuff.

He is now very much addicted to it. chews more nicorrette then he ever smoked cigarettes - which I admit is an improvement - But its also breaking the bank - that stuff is expensive.
Old 02/08/2005, 05:35 PM
Onizzle Rizzle

What is funny is that nicotine in tobacco is a drug, and nicotine that is in gum, or mints, or water (yes water), etc, is considered a "dietary supplement".
Old 02/08/2005, 05:41 PM
Moved In

I have a friend that uses Commit Lozenges. She loves them. I think she's addicted to those now.

Powertripping~is that a song or a dance?

RC Lounge~Humor Questionable ~Enter At Own Risk!
Old 02/08/2005, 05:52 PM
Registered Member

people use the word abuse for everything, no wonder people are afraid to spank their children, notice i said spank, not abuse, theirs a difference. anyway smoking is unhealthy and shouldnt be done around children,or others that don't want to be subjected to it, but i dont smoke and im not going to tell a smoker they are abusing their children for doing it around them. thats their choice. now if they were beating their children becouse they were throwing a fit or some other stupid reason, and the parent was to angry to control them selves then i would protect the child. remember most of us got a spanking when we did things and most of us turned out ok, to me abuse is like pulling a kids hair, slapping them in the face, throwing them around and the likes of physical punish ment and a spanking is a slap on the butt for being out of control or doing something that was very bad. just my two cents anyway.
Old 02/08/2005, 08:49 PM
Registered Member

I hate to see kids in cars with smoking, but I really hate to see kids in cars without being in car seats or seatbelted in. And even though it's the law, and it's common sense to buckle your child in, you see it all the time.
I don't smoke, and we don't have children, but my husband smokes. He smoked in our house for years. I bought air purifiers, and opened a lot of windows. He doesn't smoke inside now (and neither can anyone else ) because of our reef tank. So, I can only assume that he will not be smoking around our kids if we are ever blessed with them.
Old 02/09/2005, 04:49 PM
Comme un soleil ensorcelé

I think "abuse" might be wringing the word out for all it's worth. While I don't agree with parents smoking around their children, I also don't agree with parents letting their children ride in a vehicle without a seatbelt, letting them eat junk food, and all of that business.
Old 02/09/2005, 04:51 PM
Guardian of Little People

Something I hate is seeing kids whose parents let THEM smoke. Now that is helpful parenting.

Some days you're the dog, other days you're the hydrant
Old 02/09/2005, 05:12 PM
Moved In

Quote:
Originally posted by BrianD
Something I hate is seeing kids whose parents let THEM smoke. Now that is helpful parenting.
My Mother started buying my brother cigarettes when he was 14. When we confronted her, she said "He'll just steal mine if I don't"

Old 02/09/2005, 05:16 PM
Moved On

My Mom Bought me cigarettes when I was 15 - same reason - If she didnt let me I would just do it behind her back.

Same with drinking - I did it behind her back until she finally said "ok, But only if you are up front with me and keep it within reason"

I dont agree with what she did at all now that I'm a parent - But thats what she did.
Old 02/09/2005, 05:17 PM
Guardian of Little People

I have a client who used the same rationale for her 13 year old grandson who lived with her. It was suggested to her that she might consider quitting herself, and then he wouldn't have any to steal. She didn't think that was such a good plan. Better he smokes than for her to have to quit.

Some days you're the dog, other days you're the hydrant
Old 02/09/2005, 05:26 PM
Team RC Member

As you all know im still young. I think it does effect us and can be considered "abuse." My parents or sister dont smoke. I neve plan on.
Old 02/09/2005, 05:35 PM
Moved In

I guess the mentality of putting them up isn't an option. We try and make her drinking as an excuse, probably the only way we can keep from choking her! She has emphysema now and still smokes. I'm the only one out of 8 kids that never smoked.

Old 02/09/2005, 05:37 PM
Moved In

Quote:
Originally posted by Evanish
As you all know im still young. I think it does effect us and can be considered "abuse." My parents or sister dont smoke. I neve plan on.
How young are you? Pat, our son, has no desire to smoke or drink either. We couldn't be more proud of this.

Old 02/09/2005, 05:37 PM
Seamonkey on my back

as my dad used to say...
"come over here and i'll show you what abuse really feels like"

Rick
Old 02/09/2005, 05:38 PM
Comme un soleil ensorcelé

Quote:
Originally posted by Evanish
Never say never

I love picking on my sister for all of those things she swore she would never do/ want to do.