Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > Corallimorpharians
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/29/2003, 03:20 AM
Registered Member

Great looking collections all of you have.
Old 03/29/2003, 03:40 AM
With the #1 pick........

This pic isn't the best, but you can see the mouth up close.
Old 03/29/2003, 04:36 AM
Registered Member

Chet,
Looks like a Yuma based on the bubbles around the mouth. It is a nice one.

Bryan
Old 03/29/2003, 05:30 PM
Registered Member

dang guys... nice rics. to tell u guys the truth a ricordia was my first coral ever! i got it for 50 cents since it was in the LR tank and on a teeny tiny peice of LR. i wonder how it got there anyways it later died off unfortunatly when my tank crashed due to evaporation. but anyways what iw as going to say is i had the shroom for a good 6 months, and yet it never really grew as much as i thouht it should nor did it ever have two mouths. any reason as to why it didnt multiply? also i ahve 2 shrooms now well actually more like 3 or 4, i fragged one of them and im scared if they are okay or not, but anyways, ive had them for about 2 months now and they still havent reproduced naturally. any tips on how to "force" them to split?
nishant
Old 03/29/2003, 09:56 PM
With the #1 pick........

Ricordias prefer high lighting, but your standard mushroom does better in light shade from what I've found. Hey Bryan, here is a pic I just took of that ricordia. I didn't take a lot of time on it, so it's a little blurry. You can't really see the deep red that is, but it is really nice IMO. Looking forward to the next batch!
Old 03/29/2003, 11:26 PM
Registered Member

Awesome. I am glad it turned out to be dark red. For those of you asking what the heck Chet and I are talking about I will explain.

Ricordia loose some of their color when they are shipped. Some orange will look yellow, purple will look blue, gold will look pale orange and so on. After the ricordia has been in the aquarium for 3-4 weeks it gets its old color back if you have good water quality and lighting.

Chet was looking for a red one so I had a diver go looking for them. He and I were hoping this one was red. When it first arrived the color was dark orange with a red mouth. As you can see it is now red. So if you are looking for true colors. Ask how long the ricordia has been it the tank especially if you are buying gold or yellow.

Bryan

Old 03/30/2003, 12:08 AM
Moved On

Nice pics guys. Here's a shot of my reds... they have a nice yellow mouth too
Old 03/30/2003, 12:12 AM
Moved On

Here's some more... I have frags ready to go of the blues and peaches... just say the word and I get the thrmos out for some trades...
Old 03/30/2003, 04:28 AM
Registered Member

Looking Good Max!!!

Bryan
Old 03/30/2003, 09:19 AM
Premium Member

Anyone know where to get Ricordea in or around Toronto area?
Mail order from the states won't work for me since I don't think it can get through the border....
Old 03/30/2003, 12:07 PM
ichthus <><

palmetto, I know luminary was drooling for a yellow ricordia. Any chance you might be able to share one with him?
Old 03/30/2003, 02:54 PM
With the #1 pick........

You can share a frag of yellow with me too!
Old 03/30/2003, 03:15 PM
ichthus <><

Max, love your different color ricordias. Too bad I don't really have anything to trade for them, as my tank is pretty new. I have some zoanthids that are brown on the outside and speckled yellow on the inside that glow orange under blue light. That's about it for fraggable items. In fact, everything I have in my tank are frags generously donated to me in the past month. A few days ago, I sliced the crown off a frilly mushroom in an attempt to frag it, but this morning, it was GONE from under the netting I put over it. Maybe the shrimp ate it.
Old 04/03/2003, 11:33 PM
Premium Member

Here is one of my new ones but I don't know what color to call it...
Old 04/04/2003, 03:27 AM
Registered Member

heres my red gott love ricordia i ahve another one but im not shure if i should cut it
Old 04/04/2003, 08:18 AM
ichthus <><

found my mushroom

I was cleaning the tank and found the piece of mushroom I sliced off. So, now it's back under a net on a rock. Anyone know how long I should leave the net on for it to attach? Would it harm the mushroom to leave it on for longer?

Camb, I know Bryan would disagree, but I say cut that ricordia you have, multiply it, and share the wealth! I figure it's one way nature designed ricordia and mushroom propagation: a rock or fish slices the ricordia, it floats along until it lands somewhere else, and a new colony forms.
Old 04/04/2003, 11:35 PM
Registered Member

Hey Bryan, this is Ricky from the coral club. I got a few ricordias from you at the last meeting and they're awesome. I did lose the blue one I bought behind my rockwork but I have an orange and a pinkish one that are doing great. That's the 2nd ricordia I've lost total(the other one I had bought from Rob a long time ago and it fell the day I got it) It's the stupid turbo snails knocking them off but anyways.... I really enjoy collecting these so I would like to get another blue from you and I would definetly be interested in any reds or yellows you get in as well.

BTW your website is looking great! You all should check it out! www.blowfishaquatics.com You ricordia junkies will go nuts! LOL
Old 04/04/2003, 11:38 PM
Ricordea Junkie

Talking

Old 04/06/2003, 11:57 PM
With the #1 pick........

Here is a nice ricordia IMO...thanks to Bryan.

Old 04/10/2003, 07:57 PM
Registered Member

I have read alot about how to divide the ricordea, but what do you do with all the pieces? How do you get them to attach to a piece of rock? Do you rubber band the pieces onto the rock, or use another way to get them to attach. I am in the learning mode. Haven't bought any ricordea yet, but I soon will now that I found out they will live under my lighting.
Old 04/14/2003, 07:37 AM
Ricordea Junkie

I place them in a small tupperware dish that I place in an area with some current, but not quite enough to blow them out of the dish. I place small gravel for them to attach to, then superglue gel the gravel wherever I want without getting any glue on the shroom.

Old 04/14/2003, 11:33 AM
Registered Member

FOUND MY NEW FAVORITE FORUM!

WOoHoo!!

I luv me some ricordea!
Darren, the ones I got from you are doing great! Will buy more soon!

:slobber:
125g Reef- Almost a year Old,Rockin
250g In Wall Reef- Jizzamin!
Old 04/15/2003, 12:41 AM
Registered Member

can you help me here

can anyone tell me what these are? they sort of resemble what you guys are showing, not nearly as nice though. just wondering what they were. I have them for about a year and there are about 30 polyps on the rock they seem to spread quickly.
T.I.A. Henry
Old 04/15/2003, 12:42 AM
Registered Member

heres another shot
Old 04/15/2003, 06:20 AM
Ricordea Junkie

They appear to be a burgundy Ricordea Yuma, thought it is a bit hard to tell in the pic.

This is a pic of some burgundy Ricordea Yuma:

Darren Walker
Palmetto Reefs

Last edited by Anemone; 06/08/2003 at 06:34 PM.