Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Lounge
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/17/2005, 03:46 AM
Premium Member

Odd shipping event...

I'm upgrading my lighting to 2 250 watt HQI's. I found it cheaper to order things from multiple vendors than to buy a complete package. I wanted all at my house by Friday so I paid for expedited shipping on the items from the west coast.

Here's the breakdown:

1) reefgeek (California) - 3 day shipping
2) hellolights (California) - 3 day shipping
3) aquaticeco (Florida) - ground

Item 1 arrived in Columbia, SC at 12:13 on Wednesday
Item 2 arrived in Columbia, SC at 12:13 on Wednesday
Item 3 arrived in Columbia, SC at 12:07 on Wednesday

Items 1 and 2 are scheduled to arrive at my house on Friday
Item 3 is scheduled to arrive on Thursday.

All three packages are in Columbia, why is the ground coming earlier than the more expensive shipped ones? You'd think if all three are at the warehouse that they would all ship from there at the same time....

My other computer is your MAC.
Old 03/17/2005, 10:29 AM
Moved In

They're just fast? I know when I order from DrsFosters everything comes faster than other places. Not sure why, I never pay for quick shipping.

Powertripping~is that a song or a dance?

RC Lounge~Humor Questionable ~Enter At Own Risk!
Old 03/17/2005, 12:33 PM
in the bathtub

It's those darn east coast drivers. They need to slow down. Truck going faster than a 737 sheesh.

Ed: "I hate to tell you this Dr., but there aren't any fish in that river. In fact, there isn't any river."
Dr. Lao: "That's ok. Me no use bait."
Old 03/17/2005, 12:44 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dc

Thanks for the reminder...I hate to be pinched.
Old 03/17/2005, 12:45 PM
Premium Member

That's what's wierd though, I understand how it got to Columbia at the same time. I just don't get why they would slow those packages down and let the ground shipment come to the house.

I guess they just got there too late to make it to my door this morning like the pendants did.

My other computer is your MAC.
Old 03/17/2005, 12:49 PM
Registered Member

I bought a chain saw from a place in AZ and tracked it from when it left thier facility. I paid for ground shipping. Came across the country from AZ to ME in 36hrs. Then sat at Airborne's Facility 30 minutes from my house for 6 days! When I called and asked what was going on they said "if we just delivered it right away no one would pay for faster(more expensive) shipping!" Man that made me mad. It actually wasn't delivered until one day after what the "ground" shipping was expected to take. I don't do buisness with Airborne any longer.

Mike
Old 03/17/2005, 12:50 PM
Registered Member

I had a package show up at my house when the online tracking siad it was still in GA...... Go figure.
Old 03/17/2005, 12:56 PM
Dino - Victim of Women

Don't know if this is the real reason but your probably in 2day ground range from where ever in florida its coming from. The others are shipped 3 days so they're going to be there in three days. I watched a show on the history channel on the big shipping "hubs/centers" and most of its automated so nobody actualy hand sorts your packages. In other words it doesn't really care that one got there 6min earlier than the other. All it cares about is that your 2 day ground from florida and 3 days from the other . Of course I have no real idea if this is how it works, and I'm probably completely wrong but its my theory...

"And who could have ever guess that Dino is apparently the smartest man on the planet?" - jgoodrich71
Old 03/17/2005, 01:04 PM
Registered Member

nothing to do with shipping times...but I ordered a bulb for my current, soon to be ex- set up, it was a DE MH. So the bulb was in a bulb sized box, surrounded by packing peanuts- or dammmits- as we call them- inside of a box that was about 12in long and then 6x6. It had fragile stickers everywhere, it was insured, it was DHL'd to my door- I laughed when i saw it- both long ends were crushed in like the hood of a wrecked car- yet somehow unbroken at the seams- but stopped within an inch of the bulb's box...The bulb was fine- it's been running well for 3 months now-
Old 03/17/2005, 01:48 PM
Moved On

I had 2 items both shipped from same place same day via UPS. using same type of shipping service (ground)

Both were on truck and out for delivery by 5 am.

I recieved one package at 1pm

I recieved the 2nd package at 6pm.

Its stupid that UPS made 2 trips to my house in the same day. Why not just put both packages on the same truck? Its a waste of time, gas, man power. and likely this sort of stupid thing helps drive up the costs of shipping.
Old 03/17/2005, 01:52 PM
RC Staff & Thread Pirate

Apple used to ship a lot of items from Elk Grove, CA (about 15 miles south of me). I always use their free ground shipping because it works out to be next day. I ordered a piece of software that FedEX ended up loosing. It went to Kansas, and then Tampa before making it's return trip. It took 11 days to go 15 miles.

Nuclear winter solves global warming.
Old 03/17/2005, 02:41 PM
in the bathtub

I used to live in Ontario, California. I got a lot of things that made a side trip to Canada.

Ed: "I hate to tell you this Dr., but there aren't any fish in that river. In fact, there isn't any river."
Dr. Lao: "That's ok. Me no use bait."