Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Lounge
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/15/2005, 05:49 PM
Queen Supreme multitasker

My baby is finally here....

He was born at 11:11am this morning. I had fallen asleep on the couch as I just couldn't physically hold my eyes open anymore(had been up for 36 hours straight). My voicemail alert on my cell rang. I woke up startled and looked out the window. She was down and I could see feet

I panicked ran, ran outside dialing on my cell. It immediately went dead.(battery died) When I got to Sorbet(my mare), she had stopped pushing. Was just laying there. I yelled at her to PUSH! and she thankfully, came out of her daze and did. I pulled a foot and with a great tug, a very very large chestnut colt popped into the world. I ripped open the bag and he started moving and breathing.

He is strong and lively. He started trying to get up as soon as his shoulders were free. He made it up in about 5 minutes. The vet came out and checked both of them and said they both looked great. She said he was a very big boy and was impressed with how nice his topline was Smile

I almost missed this delivery. When I got home, I called my voicemail to see who left a message for me. To see who it was that by grace had woken me up in the nick of time. It was a friend checking on Sorbet who was in the process of losing one of her horses. Her horse passed shortly after mine was born.

Here are the pictures
He has a blaze, front socks and two small ankle socks

http://juliepoole.fotopic.net/c464440.html

Money can't buy happiness, but neither can poverty.
- Leo Rosten
Old 03/15/2005, 05:57 PM
Guardian of Little People

Wow! That is so wonderful! What a great looking horse!

Ok, anyone who can read this thread and see that picture and not smile, you need a heart transplant.

Some days you're the dog, other days you're the hydrant
Old 03/15/2005, 06:00 PM
Registered Member

Beautiful! Congratulations Gramma!
Old 03/15/2005, 06:21 PM
Registered Member

Awweee, how sweet is this picture of them together!!! I bet that was neat to watch, I've seen it on T.V. but people say that is cool to watch in person... I hope that the little one does good, I always thought it was amazing that they just sorta jump right up and get moving fairly well... I bet Shanna is happy that her little Zach wasn't that size ...

TheBimbo

so...what are you wearing...?

panties...?

lace panties...?

that's what I'm wearing - ScubaDave and the telemarketer...

Life can be short, just like me... Live it to the fullest!!! Family is always there for you NO matter what, just like a "true friend" would be... A cheat is a cheat, and are always busted...
Old 03/15/2005, 06:54 PM

Today's birth was intense and I was a bit freaked as the phone died(battery) and I was alone. I was terrified something had gone wrong or the baby was very stuck. It was a difficult birth(he is huge) but it was not a really bad one. Just scary

Man, I have been up for 36 hours straight except that little nap before she foaled and I am WHIPPED. Bedtime is early tonight!

- Leo Rosten
Old 03/15/2005, 07:14 PM
Registered Member

awwww!!! nothing like the miracle of birth! every time i see a newborn foal, i think "yikes, can you imagine having to stuff that back IN??"

sorry to hear about your friend's horse. what did she lose it to?
Old 03/15/2005, 07:17 PM

he died due to complications from colic. Probably a blockage. He was almost 20, so, no extraordinary measures would have been taken. She is really upset tonight

- Leo Rosten
Old 03/15/2005, 07:22 PM
i'm here for you two

ooopps i thought the foal died........sorry to hear about your friends horse

A wedding? I love weddings! Drinks all around! "Cap'n jack sparrow"
Old 03/15/2005, 08:11 PM
Moved On

a good

This is a great way to end my day......wonderfull news and good job......horses are amazing and the love they take is undieing. A smile is on my face.....thanks for sharing the birth with us.

Your freind I am sorry for.....the people that I know that are horsey folks all have big hearts as yours and broken hearts as your friend..at the same time. These animals are something and caring for them takes strength beyond that of most people....as you have shown
Old 03/15/2005, 08:25 PM
Registered Member

Beautiful horses, and 11:11 is good luck. It was predestined!!!!
Old 03/15/2005, 08:53 PM
Registered Member

having just recently lost my 36 year old mare, i can sympathize with your friend. colic is an awful way to go, hopefully the old guy didn't have to suffer for long. i was left with the unthinkable decision to end my mare's life but i'm thankful it was a peaceful.
Old 03/15/2005, 11:28 PM
Registered Member

Holy cow that is a big boy! Very striking looking though..you should be proud! Can't wait for an updated pic when he's a bit less wobbley. Very glad everything went smoothly for you two out there, I'm sure Sorbet was glad you were there with her.

In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog. - Edward Hoagland
Old 03/16/2005, 08:11 AM

She is a 1200lb lap horse. She truly was glad I was there, I could see the way she looked at me. She is a wonderful mother and loves her baby. She is a rare horse that loves human children too.

I am so proud of her. He was a big honkin' baby to birth and she got through it great. I am still exhausted today, so I am going to lay around in sweats. I am going to take the kids out there to see "scout" this afternoon and get more pictures

I sold the baby in utero and the woman is overjoyed with how perfect he is. If you notice, his canon bones are as long as hers. He isn't even unfolded yet and too big to walk under her. I have not seen a foal quite as strong as he is either. Hopefully he will stay out of trouble.

I uploaded more photos to that link, and will keep doing so as the week goes by. It will be amazing to see the difference by Saturday. That pink chestnut skin turns black too.

- Leo Rosten
Old 03/16/2005, 08:22 AM
Moved In

What a cute colt! This is one of the funnest times of year to go to Salt Lake, lot of farm area from here to there. All the babies we see is cool.

Powertripping~is that a song or a dance?

RC Lounge~Humor Questionable ~Enter At Own Risk!
Old 03/16/2005, 09:00 AM
cubed

Beautiful foal and he really is big! Congrats!
Old 03/16/2005, 09:26 AM
Registered Member

he's gorgeous Julie! We are anxiously awaiting the birth fr my sisters mare. a tn walker. Its her first baby so we are all watching her closely. should be this week! we are so excited!

I know what you mean about not wanting to miss it in case of trouble and just to see the miracle! Its amazing how large some of these babies can be and the momas still do fine!

as for your friend, send her our sympathies. There is nothing like the loss of a horse you love. We lost our 25 yr old Quatermare last year to cancer. we'd had her since she was 10. she grew up with my daughter going to saddle club every weekend. When we finally had to put her down it was like losing a family member.
Old 03/16/2005, 10:08 AM

Where is springfield/Crossplains TN?? Is it near Crossville? I am in Knoxville.

You never know when a mare might get into trouble with foaling. Thank God I found her in time. I still am kicking myself for falling asleep

The baby is WILD. All he wants to do is canter around the stall. I hope the weather improves so he can go out for more than just a few minutes

- Leo Rosten
Old 03/16/2005, 10:17 AM
Registered Member

Cross Plains is about 3 hours west of knoxville. we are located in northern middle tn. The BLM adoption facility used to be located here until just this past fall. we are about 10 miles off the KY line.
Old 03/16/2005, 10:33 AM

I can visualize where it is now. I didn't realize that the BLM had an adoption facility in TN. I bet it is beautiful there

- Leo Rosten
Old 03/16/2005, 11:54 AM
Registered Member

I like it here. But I am biased. Lived here all my life on the family farm. I live about 3 miles from the BLM facilty. It was a sad day when the carr's lost the contract. they have run the facility for over 25 years. I used to spend my summers up there visiting the horses every chance i got. After I married I got two mustangs. best horses i ever had. a real shame its over now. The closest facility now is in lower Alabama I think. OR another in Indiana? I can't remember.
Old 03/16/2005, 10:23 PM
Moved On

fellow tennessean

Quote:
Originally posted by llpoolej
Where is springfield/Crossplains TN?? Is it near Crossville? I am in Knoxville.

You never know when a mare might get into trouble with foaling. Thank God I found her in time. I still am kicking myself for falling asleep

The baby is WILD. All he wants to do is canter around the stall. I hope the weather improves so he can go out for more than just a few minutes
I am in Nashville. Today I got a new baby.....and when the weather is right maybe O'Cman can go west and meet up with some fellow TN RC type folks. Oh my new baby.....a new(not used)............purty motorcycle. If you'll find me a place in the barn.....a trip east would be nice 'Bout it?
Old 03/16/2005, 10:33 PM
Registered Member

Aww, that reminds me of my girlfriends 3 month old paint. too bad you cant keep it
Old 03/16/2005, 11:35 PM
Moved On

east

I would need to go east.....
Old 03/17/2005, 07:58 AM

I am ok with not keeping it. The woman who bought him will probably never sell him. I will get to watch him grow up, be trained, become a dressage horse and not have to pay a penny. I need to focus on the mare I have, not another even better horse

Come East Ocoralman.

- Leo Rosten