Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Saltwater Enthusiasts Association of Springfield
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02/21/2005, 12:21 PM
Registered Member

Lightbulb Equipment...What works for you (its time to share)

In the interest of the persuit of complete and total knowledge, I thought It would be nice for us to share our experiences with the equipment we use in this expensive addiction of Reef Keeping. I am always drawn to the cool new equipment that promise a total utopian envrionment for the creatures I keep in my fragile glass vault. So with that in mind I thought it would be nice to share what we use with each other being that the intregrity of the info derived from our small, but growing, group would be of some intrest to everyone.

Some intresting topics would be:

1) What is it? (name, brand, purchased/DIY)
2) What does it do? (claimed, observed)
3) Was it worth it? (mainly the cost/benefit ratio)
4) What would make it better? (again avoid griping about junk)

Try to limit your responses to what you have used personally, so to avoid the I heard, I saw second hand info that is really easy to find on RC. Remember it doesn't need to be pretty it just has to work and if you think that what you use wouldn't be of intrest to anyone, remember people don't care whats under the hood just the visible results.
Old 02/21/2005, 06:02 PM
Save a reef. Buy a frag

[welcome]Shaun
Custom Sealife PC lights with moonlights love it(still want HQI though)
Old 02/22/2005, 08:23 AM
Powered by Z. xanthurum

Stealth Heaters. I'll never do glass again. Extremely durable, great price, excellent performance.
Rule #1 is DON'T TALK ABOUT FISH CLUB!
CMAS & WRS Members

><))))">
Old 02/22/2005, 09:14 AM
Soup Nazi

SeaClone skimmer - most bang for the buck. I'm "economically challenged"; this thing was $40 used from an LFS. I'm not sure how much skimmate you guys pull out of your tanks with your 3ft tall $900 skimmers, but mine pulls out about 6oz a week. The only issue I have with it is that I have to clean it regularly so that it keeps doing its job...
Old 02/22/2005, 09:28 AM
Registered Member

Hey Mike-
Since you are wanting HQI's, may I suggest the Aquapro HQI lighting set up. It has (depending on tank size) (2) 150W HQI's, (2) 96W PC's, and (3) 1W Moonlights. Everything but the ballast are built right into the hood. Shaun has one over his 55gal and it works awesome. So good in fact it has forced me into buying one the day of our next meeting. If you are really interested in seeing one, I believe James has several at his store.

I also love my Pro-heat II (heater). It has the digital thermometer built right in and it is very reliable. A little pricey, but not a bad deal if you are planning on buying a digital thermometer anyways. And of course I have to brag about my Euroreef cs6-2. This thing works like a charm. At first I wasn't into all the hype you see here on RC, but I found a used one in like new condition for about half the money of a new one. So, I bought it and couldn't be more happy. Easy to clean, Easy to set-up, Quiet pump, lots of gunk pulled out. Good deal even if you have to pay full price. Just my opinions!
Old 02/22/2005, 12:57 PM
Registered Member

Well for those who have seen my tank, sometimes I can go overboard. Its not that I have or like to throw away money, I do my research before purchasing anything. Sometimes the hype doesn't out weigh the price. Out of all my equipment the best money I have spent is on my Tunze Stream pump (6100). I have taken out of all my other powerheads and when I feel I need to stir things up to I just turn up the flow and its like a storm surge. I bought the Tunze wave timer along with it, it works great but I wish I could make the transitions from strong to low flow surges a little longer. Another thing is I would like it if the controler would allow a night time setting that could be automated. I know what your thinking just put a timer on it, well I have thought of it but the opening is so large to the pump I am worried that some critter would get in there and get chopped up when it came on. I've read that Tunze has a light sensor that kicks it into sleep mode where the pump turns on low setting every few min to keep things from swiming up into it. This piece of equipment even though expensive was worth every penny. My corals had to get used to the flow but everything loves it now.
Old 02/22/2005, 06:08 PM
It tastes like burning

Where to start...

Rio SEIO powerheads - I have the M820, and contrary to much of Rio's stuff, this thing has run great. I've heard it called "the poor man's Tunze Stream." The price is hard to beat for the flow rate. Rio has since come out with larger sizes (more gph). While I like the SEIO, I'm still very tempted to try out a Stream or two.

CPR wet/dry (CPR SYS900) - I didn't like that so much. The filtration was great. However, the Rio return pump and the CPR overflow gave me many fits. Looking back, a gate valve on the overflow may have saved me headaches.

48" CoralVue T5 complete retro kit - I like the idea of longer bulb life and greater efficiency. I have the T5s (4x54w) in place next to 4x96w retro PCs. The only thing I do not like about the T5s is the output of the actinic bulbs... they're nowhere near as good as actinic PC or VHOs.

EuroReef CS8-3 - I've never seen so many bubbles. This thing is great. Sure, it's costly, but it is a beast. I can easily see why so many people place this skimmer at the top of the list.

SeaClone 100 skimmer - My first skimmer. I wish I would have known about RC when I was getting started in the hobby and would have been warned about the lfs pushing this one on me, because I would have never bought this thing. I have never done any mods to it, although I am interested in trying it sometime. It requires so much tweaking and is so sensitive, that it is not a worthwhile skimmer to me.

Won Pro Heat II - I like the digital readout/controller. It comes with suction cups for placement. One way I would improve this heater is to have more unpluggable connections. I wish you could could disconnect the wires/connections so you could maneuver it through holes in cabinets, etc. I also would like to see the digital readout to have it's own wire, so I could place it in a better spot. Otherwise, the readout is the part you plug into the wall.

Finnex titanium heater - These things even look/feel heavy duty and reliable. It's probably my favorite type of heater. I got mine with a controller. The only drawback I see is that there are no suction cups, so you may be more limited in placement. It seems to be better built for sumps than in-tank. Of course, I would also love to see it have a digital readout of the temperature.
Old 02/23/2005, 05:31 PM
Registered Member

Seems like EuroReef CS series that Delong20 and Ledford1 praise are a pretty good piece of equipment. I run a LifeReef VS2-24 on my 120 and a Remora pro on my 58.

The LifeReef works so well that sometimes I think It not working. Sounds wierd but half the time it doesn't seem to be doing much, but if I pay attention like after feedings or addition of certian additives it goes nuts. The LifeReef stuff is really made well and is well designed. In retrospect I probably would not have bought the Berlin system and just made my own sump. The super nice thing about LifeReef stuff is that it goes together in a snap. I think it took about 2hr total to fully plumb and install my system.

The Ramora Pro is probably the best hang on the back type of protein skimmer I have ever seen. It always works well and it works if you put it into the sump instead of hanging it on the tank. Its kinda a weird fit in a sump if you get the hang on the back model. If I were to purchase it again I would get the in sump model, the reason I moved it to the sump is because the Mag3 pump hanging in the tank looked really ugly.
Old 02/25/2005, 01:22 AM
Premium Member

I wish I could get a Euro Reef skimmer. My wife just does not understand that it is a good investment in a quality piece of equipment. I made a DIY version lately and it seems to work pretty well! I just purchased an Ocean Runner 2700 needle wheel pump for this skimmer. It produces a ton of tiny bubbles. For the person on a budget or in my case trying to please the wife it works extremely well. Only $50 too.
Old 02/25/2005, 02:56 PM
Registered Member

True that Rikk!!! The wives always shoot a good idea down when it comes to the fish tanks. They truly do not understand.
Old 02/25/2005, 08:40 PM
Registered Member

My favorites:

Euro Reef CS8-3 - Works great, and my wife approved of the purchase (I'm so lucky). I just agreed to be a beta tester for an upgrade pump. ER says they expect that it will double performance.

Velocity T-4 Pump - So quite you can't even tell it's running. Mine has been running for about 2 years without any trouble. I hate to admit it, but I've never even cleaned it. Downside is that it adds about 2-3 degrees to water temp on a 120 gal.

Won Pro-Heat II Titanium Heater - Works great and love the temp display.

Sea-Swirl 3/4" - Great Christmas Present from a great wife!. I really like how it mixes up the current. Fish seem to be much more active now. This is also silent in operation.

I'm interested in any 1800-3000 GPH pumps that are silent and don't add as much heat as the T-4. #1 Priority, it's gotta be quite to reciprocate marital bliss. Any recommendations?
Old 02/25/2005, 11:18 PM
Premium Member

Hey Tim!! Thought you moved away!!! Oh wait that's Anthony! HAHAHAHA.
Old 02/25/2005, 11:43 PM
Premium Member

Danair,

James sold me a blueline pump for the new 120 project. I hope to have it up and running in one week. They advertise it as low heat, low noise. Model HD 70, 1750gph. I live on the border of Rogers and Lowell. When I get it up and running feel free to stop by and take a look. My first pump was a T4 running on an acrylic tank. That thing was quiet but it increased the temp on my tank by 4 degrees. I changed it out with a little giant.

http://www.bluelineaquatics.com/prod...r_pump/hd.html

This may sound wierd but one of my favorite items is my fiber glove (mitten). I found it to work best when cleaning my acrylic tank.
Old 02/25/2005, 11:48 PM
Registered Member

Hello all,

I have a 55 gal reef tank. 76#lr. 43#ls.

4x65w pc. w/ 1 watt lunar lights. Aqua c remora w/ preskimmer and the maxi jet 1200 pump. I find the remora to be a great skimmer for the buck. It takes a minute for it to reach it's "prime" but well worth it. I went through a couple different phases with this skimmer. I am not complaining just EX plaining. First phase was, it ran like a champ pulling out some dark nasty skimmate for a couple days and then..... nothing a lot of bubbles and basically water. That lasted for a week or so and I raised the collection cup and it still foamed white water. Then one day it just took off pulling nice skimmate again and the micro bubbles dissappeared. Now I get a decent amount of gunk and by the way the skimmer is relatively quiet. For powerheads I have one I got from wal mart for 18 bux and it works great, pushes 150 gph. I also have a maxijet 1200 powerhead pushing 295 gph. I like the maxijet a little better as far as the quality of the pump. It attaches to the tank nicely and is easily adjustable.

For testing the parameters on my tank I USE THE SALTWATER MASTER KIT FROM aquarium pharmaceuticals, Inc. It is easy to use and comes with color coded cards (plastic) checks high range ph, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate.

Nice thread btw. It's nice to see what everyone else has. Gives a guy some different ideas.

Fuzz

Fuzz
Old 02/26/2005, 09:21 AM