Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/26/2006, 06:37 PM
Registered Member

I'd dip as Marc said and perhaps turkey baste the caps a little to see if any fly off.

Clint we're putting sand back into your tank but we may be a little creative. I'm thinking of putting your main rock pieces on acrylic "stilts" so that they don't sit directly on the sand.
Old 10/26/2006, 07:54 PM
Architecture Fanatic

Location: "Does it seem like were walking uphill" "a rubix cube"
thanks for that article on your site melev--about the aefw's...it helped me diagonse what was wrong with some of the sps in my tank

I REALLY CANT THANK YOU ENOUGH!!!! That article was a lifesaver
Old 10/26/2006, 08:54 PM
I brake for sps

I added a Tunze wavebox for extra flow in the QT tank the other night. All the sps seem to like the extra movement and are displaying great P.E. Man the box sure rocks the tank, I can see my light moving a little with each wave. Here is a pic of the box in the QT.

Old 10/26/2006, 08:56 PM
Premium Member

Checkin' In

Hi guys,

Just checkin' in. I've been pretty busy lately and haven't posted much, but I have been lurking and keeping up with the thread.

I'm learning 'way too much about dipping, red bugs, flatworm, AEFW, etc. Man, it's scary. I haven't had to deal with any big pest outbreaks in my little 20L tank yet (knocking firmly on wood ), but if I do I'll know what to do. I guess I've been lucky, as I haven't dipped or quarantined anything in my tank. As I'm planning my next (probably 90G) tank I'm starting to worry about taking such precautions already.

Like Dudester a few weeks ago, my tank just hit it's first birthday on October 15th. I am pretty proud of myself that I have managed to keep it alive this long. I told myself a year ago that if I could keep a little tank healthy for a year I'd have enough confidence to start a bigger one, hence the planning for a 90 gal RR tank. I guess once I start getting serious about setting it up I'll start a thread like this one to walk through the progress.

Not to steal your thunder, Mike, but here's a couple birthday pics of my baby!

Not quite up to the usual standards here, but I'm workin' on it!
Old 10/26/2006, 09:03 PM
Registered Member

Hey dudester, I just read (skimmed) your whole thread, and that tank is sweet. ONe wuick wuestion, how did you aquacape it like that?? Did you use a PVC frame, or just carefully place the rocks??
Old 10/27/2006, 12:36 AM
Team RC Member

thedude - Yep, that's the plan. I'll do the Lugol's dip since it was very effective in finding the AEFW on my mille frag.

fishypets - Thanks for taking such good care of my corals, and for all of your hard work. I can tell they love the flow - I can actually see my green slimer smiling in that photo. Of course you know that they're going to get spoiled at your house, and they won't want to come home to me after the 10 weeks are up.

bcoons - Glad to see you're still here. Your tank looks fantastic! All of your corals are very happy. I'm particularly impressed with the green branching acro colony you have growing there, and the zoanthids are quite plump - very nice! Happy birthday to you, too.

badgers034 - Skimming 33 pages is no small task, hope it was worth it. Thanks for the compliment, and the rocks were stacked "carefully," as you mentioned. John (thedude) was instrumental in creating it as it is, and I'm very grateful for his help. There was a single tumbling episode that occurred early on, but now they're quite rigid due to some settling as well as coral encrustation over adjacent rocks. I'm extremely happy with the aquascape, but feel that the front right lacks height, and I'm still toying with the idea of placing a small rock island there.
Old 10/27/2006, 03:07 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Skimming 33 pages is no small task, hope it was worth it.
Yea, it was worth it. I am slowly reading chunks of it now, as it is a very informative thread. Also, I hope you dont mind if I take your idea about the thing you hung your light from. I think thats a really good idea.
Old 10/28/2006, 07:53 PM
Team RC Member

Of course you can use that idea - I'm thrilled that one of my original ideas is going to be used by someone else. Let me know how it goes, and feel free to ask if you need help.

Yesterday I beefed up my clean-up crew, as there's been some attrition. I got 12 nassarius, 12 ceriths, an emerald crab, a lettuce nudibranch, and 2 peppermint shrimp. The sixline went after 1 of the shrimp briefly, but I don't think any were killed. They're kinda small and I haven't seen them, but I hope they make an appearance around my next feeding.
Old 10/29/2006, 03:35 PM
Registered Member

It is a very good idea. It is DEFINATELY a better alternative to hanging them from the ceiling.
Old 10/29/2006, 06:26 PM
Premium Member

Holy crap! 34 pages and 4 hours later, I'm drained LOL Awesome thread. I can't wait for more.
Old 10/29/2006, 07:54 PM
I brake for sps

Well today was the second treatment using Fluke tabs for the AEFW and all went well. I didn't notice any AEFW, however I did scrape a cluster of eggs off my Tubs blue digi.

However I did notice something I've never seen before. It was a red flat worm that was about 1.5 inches long. I noticed it in the bottom of the tub I was treating the corals in. I'd say it was in the bath for over 45 minutes and when I pulled the little guy out to snap a shot he was still moving. Has anyone seen a flatworm like this before? Obviously the Fluke tab didn't kill him so I hope there are no more and they don't like acro flesh. Here are the pics

Old 10/30/2006, 11:41 AM
Team RC Member

2639 - "Holy crap" is right. I hope you've recuperated so you can keep following along.

fishypets - I'm afraid ... I'm very afraid! I'll be the first to tell you when I don't know Jack, and on the subject of that red monster, I don't know Jack! But I will surmise this ... I doubt that is an AEFW, and I doubt it eats acropora tissue. The fact that it survived Tropic Marin Pro Coral Cure and Fluke-Tabs causes me to guess that it may not even be a planaria (??). Whatever it is, I'm glad you found it; we just need to have it identified. Could you post some pics of it in the "Other Invertebrates" forum, or maybe as a new thread in the "SPS" forum, and maybe we can get an ID on it.

I'm a little discouraged by the fact that you found eggs on the Tubs colony. That means that either I missed them (even with the dorky glasses), or there are still surviving flatworms that laid new eggs. I guess that means that we have to re-start the clock at time zero now that eggs were seen, which means the corals still have 10 weeks in quarantine and with weekly treatments .

I saw 1 of the new peppermint shrimp yesterday, so at least the sixline hasn't killed both of them. I'm hopeful that the other one is better at hiding and that it'll show up soon. The new lettuce nudi is having a tough initiation into the tank, too (you reading this, Bax?). As you know, I've spent countless times rescuing my nudis from my overflow in the past, and the new one has been no exception. Last night I saw that my overflow wasn't siphoning, and when I looked at the air line tubing connecting the overflow box to the AquaLifter pump, there was an obstruction inside. It was the lettuce nudi crammed inside the air line tubing and the plastic nipple that the tubing connects to! I tried to pull it out, but what I could grasp had essentially liquified. I then broke a toothpick and pushed the remainder of the critter back into the overflow box, turned on the flow, and then removed the remainder of it (about 2/3 of its original length) from the overflow strainer. Amazingly it lived, and this morning I again found it in the overflow box, but fortunately not in the air line tubing. So much for learned behaviors.
Old 10/30/2006, 01:37 PM
Premium Member

Re: Checkin' In

Quote:
Originally posted by bcoons

I REALLY like this aquascaping! I think I'll redo mine tonight just like this

I need to do some reasearch on what corals are best to place directly on the sand. Does anyone know of a 'list' that I can read? I'm still a newbie when it comes to coral placement.

dudester....we need more pics!!!
Old 10/30/2006, 07:18 PM
Keeper of the Hair Algae

Dude

I have three of four nudis still active in the display. I had two in the display and two in the fuge. But now I can't find any in the fuge and there are three in the display?

One looks really great, a nice deep green. Another looks a little pale but otherwise OK.

The third looks like it met my VorTech MP-40 or perhaps my Mag 9 return pump? It looks like it was cut in half, but is still active.
Old 10/30/2006, 08:02 PM
Premium Member

Re: Re: Checkin' In

Quote:
[iOriginally posted by 2639 [/i]
I REALLY like this aquascaping! I think I'll redo mine tonight just like this

I need to do some reasearch on what corals are best to place directly on the sand. Does anyone know of a 'list' that I can read? I'm still a newbie when it comes to coral placement.

dudester....we need more pics!!!
Gee, thanks! It's really great to get a compliment on my tank in Dudester's thread.

Actually, there wasn't much thought given to aquascaping in that tank. I'm more of a systems integration type, and not much on aesthetics, and just kinda threw the LR in where it would fit together. My son, who has more of an artist bent, just rolls his eyes.

As far as to what to put on the sand, I just looked in some of the coral reference pages on the 'net, and if it said they like sand, I put them on the sand. None of them have climbed up on the rocks, so I guess they are happy on the sand!

So Dudester, now that a bunch of livestock is out of your tank for awhile, do you plan any equipment or aquascaping changes/improvements?

I'm up in Seattle this week, staying on the waterfront. It's nice and cool!
Old 10/30/2006, 11:14 PM
Team RC Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 2639
I'm not aware of any list, but if you're interested in a particular coral, just read about it either here on RC or another online source, or look it up in any of the many available coral books (such as Borneman's, Veron's, Delbeek/Sprung, et al.). Just be sure to read up on it before making a purchase, as this will save you from a lot of worry, as well as increase your chance of keeping it alive. Other things to research with regard to coral placement include flow and light availability, as well as nutritional requirements, and all of these have to be taken into consideration.

Bax - You're obviously having more success with lettuce nudibranchs than I had. Of course I am a little handicapped with my HOB overflow . I hope they're making a dent in your algae.

bcoons - Funny you should mention it, but yes I have considered this a good opportunity to upgrade some things. Of course this will depend on fulfilling some holiday wishes. I really want to get rid of the loc-line returns for 2 reasons. First, it's 3/4" diameter, and second, there's a substantial amount of salt creep through the individual pieces. I could solve both of these problems, and increase flow, by upgrading to OceansMotions OmniFlex nozzles. I have 1 on my sump return line, and it's been great. The second thing I want to do, also to improve flow, is to get rid of the MaxiJet in the tank and replace it with a Tunze Nanostream. These won't be available until the end of the year, but I have time since I won't be able to return my SPS to the tank for at least another 9-10 weeks. Having the corals out won't matter for this next item, but I'm also thinking about replacing my Remora skimmer for a Deltec HOB skimmer that just came out. As far as the aquascape, I think I'd like to keep it as is - thedude and I did pretty well the first time out, and I don't want to ruin it.
Old 10/31/2006, 09:02 AM
Premium Member

Hello! That's right, Christmas is coming up, isn't it? Wow, my first Christmas with my new money pitt, er, reef tank. This could be great!

Dudester, I know everyone has opinions about their skimmer, but I will definitely support your interest in the Deltec line of products. Mine pulls out decent skimmate, but I think the real benefit is the 1/8" of dark green sludge that I clean out of the inside cylinder every 4 days. Concentrated nastiness. I empty it out over the toilet for a reason!

I am thinking of tinkering w/ my closed loop now, perhaps capping 3 of the 9 nozzles to up the flow rate coming from the nozzles. I was considering using locline. Do you find that the only problem is salt creep? Is that doing something to your performance, or is it just messy?
Old 10/31/2006, 10:22 AM
Premium Member

I would also like a little elaboration on the Loc-Line, as I was planning to use it. What problems have you had with it? Any others things besides salt creep? It seems such a popular product, and I see it in a lot of tank build threads.
Old 10/31/2006, 11:08 AM
Team RC Member

Loc-line is, in my opinion, a great product guys, don't get me wrong. The problems I have with it relate primarily to its size (3/4"). As a result of that, my CL return plumbing has to be reduced in diameter to accomodate the loc-line, which therefore reduces flow. Of course the SCWD is also 3/4", which means my plumbing goes from 3/4" SCWD --> 1" PVC --> 3/4" PVC --> loc-line. My goal, when the new larger SCWD becomes available, is to have a 1" SCWD --> 1" PVC --> 1" OmniFlex nozzle, and I would expect this to result in some appreciable increase in flow compared to my current situation. With respect to the salt creep, most people have the majority of their loc-line submerged, so tiny leaks between the connections don't become apparent. Since I (usually) have SPS at the top of my tank, and my tank's only 30g with limited space, I have very little loc-line beneath the water surface, so most of the connections are above the water. Salt eventually works its way out between the connections and ultimately forms long stalagmites (or is it 'tites?) that fall to the floor or onto my cabinet. Unsavory. The exposed portions of the OmniFlex nozzle that I use do not leak any salt creep. So these are the reasons for my decisions. If anyone has better ideas, please share them with me.
Old 11/01/2006, 09:42 PM
Team RC Member

Here's what I am talking about.

I'd like to put a stop to this, as this is the only area on my system where I have what I would consider to be bothersome salt creep.
Old 11/01/2006, 09:55 PM

nasty.
Old 11/02/2006, 07:50 AM
Keeper of the Hair Algae

Yieks!

I've used about ten different sections of Loc Line in 1/2" & 3/4" and not seen salt creep like that! ... Impressive!
Old 11/02/2006, 10:36 AM
Premium Member

as a holder of useless info, I can answer the stalactite/stalagmite question! stalactites hang from the ceiling, while stalagmites "grow" from the ground. you can remember it by "C" for ceiling, and "G" for ground. Learned that nugget in a Spiderman comic book YEARS ago.
Old 11/02/2006, 10:53 AM
Premium Member

If they don't hold TITE to the ceiling, they MITE fall to the ground. Learned that from a Batman episode ( the one's with Adam West and Burt Ward )

Damn I miss that show!
Old 11/02/2006, 12:50 PM
Team RC Member

Bax, I guess I could just replace the loc-line, since this is felt to be atypical, but I'd rather go with the 1" returns .

You guys were right about the 'mite/'tite issue; thanks for clearing it up. Fo those that want a little more information, check here.

I saw both new peppermint shrimp, so I'm assuming that all of my clean-up crew from Reeftopia made it after entering my tank. I haven't seen the emerald crab, but if it died I'm sure I would have seen the shell somewhere. I'd really like to try another cleaner shrimp, but I don't want to get another one if my sixline is just going to kill it. What do you think, should I go for it?

I do miss having acropora in the tank. One of the monti caps is growing like mad, and I don't really like where it is, so I'll probably try to remove it and donate it to someone in our reef club at our next meeting on 11/11. gkarshens, if you're out there, you can have it if you want, since the piece you got at the last meeting didn't make it, if I recall correctly.