Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > LPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/27/2006, 10:18 AM
Anti "So called Expert"

Does anyone know of any place that has Duncan polyps available right now?
Old 11/27/2006, 10:19 AM
Boomer gave me this

jendub.com had them for $80 a polyp. thats the only one I've seen that doesnt say "coming soon"
Old 11/27/2006, 11:01 AM
Registered Member

A correction there as for price goes.One frag is 100 bucks,on her site now.And limited at that.
Old 11/27/2006, 11:03 AM
Boomer gave me this

oh my bad, I think it was the captive reef that had them for $80 but said "coming soon" or something similiar to that.
Chris
Old 11/27/2006, 12:15 PM
Registered Member

ora farms will have them soon as i know
Old 11/27/2006, 12:18 PM
Boomer gave me this

yeah www.****************** had ORA duncans last week, $399 and it looked like 2 polyps. That is the second time I've seen them on Extreme corals website from ORA.
Old 11/27/2006, 12:19 PM
Boomer gave me this

sorry my computer must be messed up. www. extreme corals . com
Old 11/28/2006, 02:44 PM
Registered Member

Would feeding dendros and duncans pellet food soaked in selcon, etc.. be enough for them? Its easier for me to feed them pellets instead of mysis, squid, etc...

Thanks!
Old 11/28/2006, 02:50 PM
Registered Member

be very carful with pettet food!

some pellet food contains Copper so read and be careful about the ingreadents I know Spectrum Pellets are one of these I just use a turkey baster or also a Katchup bottle makes a great spot feeder I also use Artic pods, Coral frenzy, Reef chili and also golden pearls from brine shrimp direct. we had several corals die that were being feed pellet food in our area. I would say the copper in the pellets is a safe bet.
Old 11/28/2006, 03:22 PM
Registered Member

Re: be very carful with pettet food!

Quote:
Originally posted by Labman48076
some pellet food contains Copper so read and be careful about the ingreadents I know Spectrum Pellets are one of these I just use a turkey baster or also a Katchup bottle makes a great spot feeder I also use Artic pods, Coral frenzy, Reef chili and also golden pearls from brine shrimp direct. we had several corals die that were being feed pellet food in our area. I would say the copper in the pellets is a safe bet.
Copper in Spectrum pellets? Hmm, thats what i've been using and so far no problems. If there was copper in the food wouldn't the all the corals and invertabrae be in trouble?
Old 11/28/2006, 09:21 PM
Registered Member

Re: Re: be very carful with pettet food!

Quote:
Originally posted by heuerfan
Copper in Spectrum pellets? Hmm, thats what i've been using and so far no problems. If there was copper in the food wouldn't the all the corals and invertabrae be in trouble?
up to youif you wish to use them we discovered what we think is the problem after feeding pellet food to lord and micro and some dendro's look at the ingreadents near the bottom Copper Sulfate lots of good foods that I don't have to worry about killing my corals.
I like the stuff as fish food but it is a food for fish it was never designed to feed inverts.

also read this link
http://pmep.cce.cornell.edu/profiles...lfate-ext.html

New Life Marine Fish Formula
Fish Food Profile
Brand Name: Spectrum

Ingredients: "Krill Meal, Fish Meal, Wheat Flour, Amino Acids, Algae Meal, Soybean Meal, Fish Oil, Beta Carotene, Spirulina, Vitamin A Acetate, D-Activated Animal-Sterol, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Niacin, Folic Acid, Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine, Biotin, Dl-Alphatocopherol, L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate, Choline Chloride, Cobalt Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Ethylenediamine Dihydroiodide, Ethoxyquin."

Ad Quotes:
Old 11/28/2006, 09:45 PM
Boomer gave me this

ahh thats very interesting labman, I have never fed a coral a pellet though but thanks for the info! makes sense they add some copper to maybe help with parasite resistance? who knows.

BTW my duncans are getting fat, I will snap a photo. I first saw ORA Duncans at MACNA Houston. I was drawn to them i didnt know what they were but figured they must be special because i had never seen them before. I wonder what the next new rare coral will be? Its weird that all the rare stuff lately seems to be LPS. I am happy though I am old school and have always loved LPS corals.
Old 12/01/2006, 12:33 AM
Registered Member

I couldn't resist this photo op. She looks like she should be wearing a corset.

Old 12/01/2006, 10:27 PM
Premium Member

Haha nice pic Melissa. I've never seen mine do that.

Here's the pic I promised of the sun corals, or whatever they are.

I saw in this thread they were IDed as possibly Cladopsammia gracilis.
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...hreadid=941790
Old 12/05/2006, 05:55 PM
Registered Member

wow nice pics guys, I'm trying to get some ducans and dendros in my tank, I already have the orange and black suncorals. Anyone fraggin?
Old 12/05/2006, 06:15 PM
Premium Member

Old 12/05/2006, 06:31 PM
Registered Member

Melissa, what camera and lens are you using? Your photo's are out of this world.

Stellar!!!
Old 12/06/2006, 09:47 AM
Registered Member

I use an old cheap camera. While I don't get photos that can be blown up and printed out, I've worked on my picture-taking skills enough to be able to get a decent shot here and there. I end up throwing away at least 20 shots for every really good one. Even the shot above is a little too pixellated...that's the limits of my camera.

My camera is a Minolta Dimage Z1. It has an excellent optical zoom (10x) which is not offered with too many digicams anymore. I want to buy a nice DSLR someday.

Thanks for the compliments. I've been using this camera for about 4 years now. I think the most important thing is to get to know the features, capabilities and limits of your camera. The next most important thing is composition.

Melissa
Old 12/06/2006, 11:08 AM
Premium Member

My new kids.

"And chase the frothy bubbles, / While the world is full of troubles. . . ." --W. B. Yeats
Old 12/07/2006, 12:03 PM
Registered Member

wov nice coral....
Old 12/07/2006, 12:03 PM
Registered Member

wov nice coral....
Old 12/09/2006, 07:46 PM
2007 Eastern Conf. Champs

Quote:
Originally posted by JenDub
Which varient did Serdar have?
Hey Jen,

I believe Serdar has the ORA variety.

I just got my first frag this week. (from liveaquaria) I'll try to post pics soon.

Tony
Old 12/09/2006, 11:55 PM
Premium Member

i feed my duncans cyclopeez (sp) they love it and i know that they eat it becouse about twice a week what goes in must come out there are two small heads forming on the back side of the top head! so far seems to be a moderatly fast grower. i have them sitting on the bottom of my cube in low/moderate flow
Old 12/10/2006, 12:03 AM
Registered Member

Master_Reefer
That's not enough for them,it is good for them.But they really like the more meaty stuff.Get yourself some frozen Krill,take heads and scales off.Cut them in small chunks and feed each mouth. Just make sure you don't have any pesty fish,they will grab it out of the Duncans mouth.Or put them in a bowl,and let the eat in peace.
Old 12/10/2006, 12:39 AM
Premium Member

First pictures playing with a new flash:

"And chase the frothy bubbles, / While the world is full of troubles. . . ." --W. B. Yeats