Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > LPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/07/2004, 02:46 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by Aged Salt
Reef Science has a green Acanthastrea echinata for sale. Bob
Thats actually a rotundaflora.
Old 07/07/2004, 03:11 PM
Registered Member

pix-burg looks like blowfish aquatics has one for sale

http://www.blowfishaquatics.com/Merc...egory_Code=LPS
Old 07/07/2004, 03:12 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by blueleg
pix-burg looks like blowfish aquatics has one for sale

http://www.blowfishaquatics.com/Merc...egory_Code=LPS
I dont think thats an acan. It looks like a diploastrea. Not sure though. I am by no means an expert =).
Old 07/07/2004, 03:15 PM
Moved On

that is not an acan or a dilplo, is starts with an Monstrea
Old 07/07/2004, 03:16 PM
Registered Member

dont know what it is...just not an acan.
Old 07/07/2004, 03:16 PM
Registered Member

Brahm,

You should have had him frag it...That's what I would have done!
Old 07/07/2004, 03:19 PM
Dracula

That's def. not diploastrea. It looks like Montastrea or Turbinaria.

joe
Old 07/07/2004, 03:20 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by Joe_Bui
Brahm,

You should have had him frag it...That's what I would have done!
... I was thinking about that, but this guy that was buying it was pretty keen on the piece and was pretty friend before that piece showed up..which but not after.... even though he made the comment "i don't know what the big deal is it will be here again, all these corals will be here again..." as I shrugged my shoulders and thought to myself.. "well then why are you paying 750$ for a coral will most likely get cheaper if they are so common..." I waited around for a few more hours for him to figure out whatever the heck he needed to do to get the money together as thought he was going to back out in the end.
Old 07/07/2004, 03:21 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by joetbs
That's def. not diploastrea. It looks like Montastrea or Turbinaria.

joe
Montastrea is it, i've got one just like it.
Old 07/07/2004, 03:22 PM
Registered Member

I would have forced the issue...then again, I would NOT pay $750 for it. Acans are a fad coral right now. I'm sure we will see more of them as demand for them increases...I do not believe they are a rare coral...It's all about supply and demand.
Old 07/07/2004, 03:24 PM
Moved On

Quote:
I would have forced the issue...then again, I would NOT pay $750 for it. Acans are a fad coral right now. I'm sure we will see more of them as demand for them increases...I do not believe they are a rare coral...It's all about supply and demand.
I hope that's the case, although I would hardly say acan is a fad coral, I mean look at this thread maybe a dozen people max responded.. Type in blue zoo's and you'll get 300 unique posts..that is a fad coral.. Acan is a coral where a few people are retarded about them.
Old 07/07/2004, 03:30 PM
Registered Member

because this is the early part of the fad....blue zo's are not hard to find anymore...just about all the online guys has one shade or another of blues. So it was rare....what? 6 month ago?
Old 07/07/2004, 03:36 PM
Moved On

I dont know I think they are pretty rare. I hae talked to some collectors, and wholesalers, as well as retailers who has asked around. All have given me the same answer that they ahve neither not seen them, or they have only seen one or so in the past few years. Not to mention I think that it also has something to do with cities.
Old 07/07/2004, 04:08 PM
Moved On

Well I really hope that the case to be honest, I would love to be able to buy them as easly as a Red Bubble Tip.. and i think it would be good for the hobby in general, they are a good hardy coral with little demands, they grow and are colourful the perfect aquarium species imop.
Old 07/07/2004, 06:52 PM
Registered Member

for acan frags check out
http://www.exoticreefs.us/farmer_tubs.htm
Old 07/07/2004, 06:56 PM
Registered Member

can someone id the acan frag in my gallery? Thanks!
Old 07/07/2004, 07:35 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by itsjustme123456
can someone id the acan frag in my gallery? Thanks!
Thats a lordhowenis, looks like Blanes.
Old 07/07/2004, 07:37 PM
Premium Member

http://www.cites.org/common/quotas/2004/Quota2004.pdf

Fiji = zero, not even listed (no blasto either)
Indo = 1000 of Acanthastrea echinata (3800 Blastomussa wellsi)
Indo = approx. 150,000 of all 4 goni groups combined

Tonga and Solomon Islands aren't coverred by CITES, so who knows how much comes outa there in the Acanth. department.

I'd say its a rarity in the fact only 1000 Acanthastrea echinata, and no other, are allowed to be exported from any CITES member nations.
Old 07/07/2004, 09:37 PM
Awaiting Email Confirmation

deffanatly not a fad coral
its not hard to get i heard its just a doat ride out to get them also japan gets alot of corals because they are willing to pay top dollar whare our whosalers wont pay more then 30 bucks for an improted coral just what i heard and i hear everything i work for advance aqua tanks and i get hustle and bustle from customers all day long???
Old 07/07/2004, 09:43 PM
Registered Member

Dude, you are contradicting yourself. You say it isn't a hard coral to get, but then you say it is not a fad coral? I agree that CITES member nations may have set limits on it, but I also believe that sooner or later, a collector is going to stumble on them just like what is happening with the rose bubble anemones. Are they rare now, yes. But how long is that going to last? How tight are their restrictions if the collectors for the US are getting them in and mislabeling them as blastos? Not so long ago, blastos were hard to get as well...Now they are available at every store and etailer out there. Demand will drive supply. Some clever fellow will find a way to get them to the US market.
Old 07/07/2004, 10:29 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Dude, you are contradicting yourself. You say it isn't a hard coral to get, but then you say it is not a fad coral? I agree that CITES member nations may have set limits on it, but I also believe that sooner or later, a collector is going to stumble on them just like what is happening with the rose bubble anemones. Are they rare now, yes. But how long is that going to last? How tight are their restrictions if the collectors for the US are getting them in and mislabeling them as blastos? Not so long ago, blastos were hard to get as well...Now they are available at every store and etailer out there. Demand will drive supply. Some clever fellow will find a way to get them to the US market.
i'm going to have to disagree, blastos are still hard to come by, I know of Two stores that get them on a normal basis, and that's in LA where 90% of all the corals the come to this country come to. As far as Etailers, maybe 2-3 get them on a regular basis (2 of which get them from the 1 of the stores mentionted above) and usally it's one or two a month. I went to 4 wholesalers yesterday there wasn't a single blasto around. Yet.. piles of acros many rare one.. Green with Red tips ect (my new baaabiiie) If they were that common I would at least be seeing damaged or ugly brown colonies floating around.
Old 07/07/2004, 10:32 PM
niiiiiiice car

um, wish blasto was as just as common here as it is for you in cali Joe_Bui. I can't get anything here in Pennsylvania. I can't even get any of the pet stores to order it, let alone acanthastrea. They seem like they have never herd of it. But then again, not a lot of the pet stores around here go by scientific names, usually common names. So if I ask for them to order pineapple coral, they can get in a bunch of different corals.
I hope it becomes as common as you guys think. Because paying $50 a polyp is burning a hole in my pocket and I don't even have a job.
I do think that they are rare and hard(er) to get. I hope that they get into the main stream of hobbyists because they seem to be a very hardy coral, even after shipping. It looks like it from pictures posted here. But, I do not know how well they do in tanks, I'll get my first one next week. I can't wait.
Kelly
ps-more pix!
Old 07/07/2004, 10:35 PM
Moved On

I still think they will remain to be hard to get. Of course, I may be wrong and see an abundance of them come in, I just don't think so. I don't think there are enough around now to prove that they would become common. If they could be common, I think we would see more then we do, even if they were just shipped in here and there. Not to mention I have NEVER seen one state side like they get in Japan.

Never know though.
Old 07/07/2004, 11:18 PM
ren and stimpy

some day they will flood the market, just like rose anemones have, just like all the zoo's have, just like all the different SPS have, its just a matter of time.

Old 07/07/2004, 11:28 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mane3215
I still think they will remain to be hard to get. Of course, I may be wrong and see an abundance of them come in, I just don't think so. I don't think there are enough around now to prove that they would become common. If they could be common, I think we would see more then we do, even if they were just shipped in here and there. Not to mention I have NEVER seen one state side like they get in Japan.

Never know though.
I do agree...I think we would see more acan. than we do now...most people dont even know that this coral exists