Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion

Old 12/31/2007, 01:43 AM
Registered Member

What Do you think of this for a 65G?

For the drainage?
Old 12/31/2007, 01:55 AM
Registered Member

From what i have read having a longer horizontal bar across the top would be more benefical because it has a larger skimming area.. other than that i dont see anything wrong. even then i am just basing this off what i remember so someone with more know how should chip in just in case
Old 12/31/2007, 03:19 AM
Registered Member

Yea i was thinking about sticking two pvc pipes in the tee and cutting a slit all the way down it.
Old 12/31/2007, 04:31 PM
Registered Member

Well heres the updated image,
The two in the corners will have that black adjusable pipe stuff i dont know what its called
but
Heres the photo

Hope to get some response on it.
Old 12/31/2007, 04:46 PM

Here are some issues I see with this design, given the image above:

1. How would you adjust the water level in the display? The tee that connects your horizontal surface skimmer really has no space below it to allow adjustments.

2. Depending on your flow rate, you might need to drill a hole on top of the tee to prevent the siphon effect that creates a sloshing noise.

3. The ends of those surface skimmers need a cap - otherwise, the slits will be useless.

4. You need a Durso-style standpipe inside your overflow box. Make that TWO standpipes for redundancy.

5. Also, why even bother using a box outside the display when you can just use a pipe directly to your sump?

6. If you're going to use an external box anyways, why not just create slits on the back of the tank and create a long, horizontal external box? Kinda like a Calfo-Style overflow seen here Note that the picture in that thread uses an internal box. IMO it will look way neater if you mount the box outside the display.

7. You might want to rotate the pipe so the slits are facing UP. Also, if you have tremendous surface flow, those slits may or may NOT be effective for surface skimming. (see pic below)

That thread above will give you tons of ideas for an overflow box... good luck

Last edited by xtm; 12/31/2007 at 05:02 PM.
Old 12/31/2007, 04:47 PM
Nothing to put here

No need for the external box IMO. If the piping is large enough you can have it drain directly down, or build an external durso (have a tee behind the tank, one end goes up with a cap and a hole drilled in it, and the other end down to drain to the sump. I would also cut the PVC down the top, not the front side. Also, why to the returns in the corners go so far below the surface?
Old 12/31/2007, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by LobsterOfJustice
Also, why to the returns in the corners go so far below the surface?
Agreed, those returns are asking for FLOOD. He needs to either cut them short or drill a tiny hole to prevent back-siphon. My vote goes to the "cut short" method by the way. If you get a power outage and a snail is blocking those tiny holes, it's a sure flood as your sump overflows...
Old 12/31/2007, 05:17 PM
Registered Member

Well thanks for the imput,
The only reson for the overflow box was to try and cut down on noise with out using any room inside of the tank for a overfow box,
and the retures are deep down becasue the currents system i have now is at the surface and i find having it there creates alot of dead spots and it push's crap floating on the surface to the corner of the tank.