Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs

Old 12/30/2007, 09:40 PM
Premium Member

Question AP12 running warm

hi everyone,

recently set up an AP12 with standard CF lighting. notice my temp gets up to 81 degrees when the lights are on. has anyone else experienced this in their AP?

any simple mods i can do to help lower the temp? i really don't want to fork out the $$$ for a chiller.

thanks in advance for your input.

TC
Old 01/10/2008, 02:06 PM
Registered Member

I just bought one also and was concerned so i called the LFS where they had one set up and i just had my finger to check temperature in mine but they seemed to be the same both were warm to the touch. When i asked him what he did he said that it stays the same temperature because of the humidity in the store and they said that one solution is to just lift the tiny lid that you can use to feed the fish and just leave it open that lowered the temp considerably in mine. And you dont have to worry about the temp, that much, as long as it doesnt rise and fall a bunch.
Old 01/10/2008, 05:32 PM
Premium Member

i ended up buying a 1/20 chiller. there's no A/C during the weekends at my office so the tank got up to 84 degrees with the feeder lid open.
Old 01/10/2008, 06:43 PM
Registered Member

Try replacing the stock pump with a maxijet 900. This dropped mine by about 2 degrees.
Old 01/10/2008, 10:08 PM
Registered Member

I have a Aquapod 12 HQI and had the same problem. I put a Ice Probe in the third camber just sitting on top pointing down. It's a little cheaper and no plumbing.

Kc3
Old 01/10/2008, 10:23 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by thin crust
i ended up buying a 1/20 chiller. there's no A/C during the weekends at my office so the tank got up to 84 degrees with the feeder lid open.
You wont regret buying the chiller. I just bought the JBJ 1/20 recently for the hot summer months to come.

"Get Busy Living Or Get Busy Dying"

"Were discussing man,...you have your wrong opinion i have my right one. Its called communication." Mac Inger
Old 01/10/2008, 10:32 PM
Registered Member

My ap 24 runs at a steady 25* It has been that way for about 2 months now and I havent had any issues at all. I have a open top with a sunpod 150 watt hqi.
Old 01/10/2008, 11:50 PM
Premium Member

i think having the ambient temperature of my office so high is what caused my tank temp to rise. i looked at the ice probe chiller but wanted something that i could dial in the temp and was a litte more reliable. i've been running a 1/20 chiller at home for a several months and it's been great for me. wanted to stick with something i was already familiar with. for me, the $230 is worth the peace of mind knowing that my tank is running proper.

i plan on upgrading the lighting to MH one day so i'm sure the chiller will help with that as well.