Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/09/2007, 03:31 PM
Registered Member

Aussie acans and Peppermint Shrimp...need help!!!!

Hello all,
I have a few colonies of aussie acan's that were doing great. One colony I have had for about 3 months. A few weeks ago I had an outbreak of aiptasia so I added 3 small peppermint shrimps last week. One monring a few of the acan's that I had for awhile looked beat up so I moved it to another tank to recoup.
I woke up this morning, and about 5 heads of a different colonie were shredded. I spent the morning pulling all of my blue and red leg crabs out, but I am wondering if the 3 peppermint shrimp I added were to blame for this. What scares me is I still have a large group of acans in my tank and no way to catch 3 peppermint shrimps!!!

has anyone heard of peppermints destroing acans...

Thanks in advance
Old 12/09/2007, 04:44 PM
Registered Member

had you just fed the acans? i know that peppermint shrimp are notorious for pulling food out of corals, not actually eating them.
Old 12/09/2007, 05:02 PM
Registered Member

no my last feeding is usually around 10 or so at night...vho's stay on until midnight...everything looked fine when i went to bed..this AM one colony was almost shredded.
Old 12/09/2007, 07:18 PM
Registered Member

peppermint

I know they eat zoos so I would guess maybe and probally.
Old 12/09/2007, 08:16 PM
:::===( @ | }

I had a problem with mine, but I had too many in too small of a tank, and didn't feed them enough (to there liking)

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...readid=1182708
Old 12/10/2007, 06:33 PM
Registered Member

thanks for the replies so far...does any one else have any experience with peppermints destorying corals?
Old 12/10/2007, 06:47 PM
Registered Member

Mine were notorious for eating zoas and picking at my candy cane, so Id say its them. They wiped out a huge aptasia problem but moved on to my coral very quickly.

BRONCOS!!!!